Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Back to its former Glory
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Well, I have been Watching this group for over a year. Time to show what I have been sitting on.
1976 Baby Barth working its way back to its former glory. I have been working on RVS since I was 10. My dad was a RV nut . Tried putting it for sale . ( to many projects... very few people knew what it was, much less what it could be.) So I sold it to myself Price was right.

Posts: 5 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 10-18-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
What a cutie, looks like it has a great exterior, what are you doing to it? Nice to see folks who will take the time to keep these beauties alive and well!! Good luck and happy camping!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2055 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ouside and inside not bad. Exceprt where bull dozer got a hold of it. Smiler

Posts: 5 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 10-18-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tray:
outside and inside not bad. Except where bulldozer got a hold of it. Smiler

Update on Rebuild
1. Got it Cleaned up somewhat. The outside is looking good... Freinds to me it looked good now that it is painted silver. Much better than the green it was.... ( It was not green just covered with algae looking green stain, from sitting for 20 years..
2. Replaced Rotted tires ( Working on Dually wheels was a lot easier when I was younger....
3 Cranked engine and flushed with BG109 engine flush. Which fixed all the smoking and Blowby it had. Will run for a few hours and then bg109 it again. I have a good friend that owned a distributorship and he taught me how cool BG products are Engine has 93k on it. "Can't beat a small block chevy".
Also rebuilt Quadraget. and smoke/ Vapertested engine for vacuum leaks and found none. but will eventually replace the hoses.
4. Plumbing is entirely screwed up by the previous owner. I am gutting it and replacing hot water heater with 2-gallon bosch instant 110v. And using pex for all plumbing. this is going to take a while.

5. Brakes ..... The Master cylinder was bad and has been replaced. still cannot get fluid to calipers or drums. Going after proportioning valve when I have time ( that sucker is buried on the cross member). The brake light on the dash is on. So I am crossing my fingers. Also will probably replace all the rubber brake lines.

6. Fuel tanks. Cannot get fuel from either tank. All the tank switching for the generator and both tanks has been cannibalized. I have plumbed a new electric fuel pump directly to the tank but still cannot draw fule but can blow air back to the tank down both feed and vent line. Suspect pickups in tanks or bad. I Will drop the tanks and check and most likely replace tanks with plastic tanks I have from later model c3500. Currently running off Boat gas tank as a temp fuel supply. " Runs great when it thinks its a boat Smiler
7. Roof is leaking. I will replace the stained ceiling with FRP ( fiberglass reinforced plastic ) Once I get all the roof leaks fixed. The majority of the leak is where the fiberglass front head meets aluminum just above the dash.
9. Generator. Finally got old Onan 6k removed. It is so heavy it looked like Barth dropped a baby Smiler and I will replace it with a newer Yamaha with a remote start.
10. I love the carpet color and it is heavy-duty Carpet. But will most likely replace floor carpet with Hardwood flooring. Because I will never get the smell out of carpet and padding and it is just to dark inside
11. Will be replacing all the lighting with LED under cabinet lights. It's so dark inside.
12. and the list keeps growing Smiler

People keep stopping by my shop and want to know if it is for sale. It is not. I am amazed at the amount of them that know what it is.....

Question. Is there anyone in East Texas that has one of these Baby Barths? Would like to meet people with the same interest and see what they have done to their rig. drop me a message ....

Thats all for now

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Nice progress! Mechanic

Looks like you have hit all the bases. The older coaches are notorious for fuel problems, brake problems and water leaks. When you get those fixed you should have smooth sailing then.

PEX is a good choice for plumbing. I have had zero problems with the PEX plumbing in the Monarch.

Good luck getting through the initial stage. Keep us posted. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5180 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
quote:
BG109

Tell me more, I never heard of this.

My '87 has a different fuel pick up system in the tank, but there are enough similarities, that I can advise. In mine there is an electric fuel pump in the tank, and the little rubber hose between the pump and the steel tube had rotted after close to 4 decades, and a clamp had failed. It also looked like there was rust and a stress fracture in the steel tube, inside the tank area. In my case, this caused me to "run out of gas" at half a tank. You might need to drop the tank and replace the sender unit.

It is great to read of your progress!
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 525 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
SteveVW did a great modification to a dual tank set up like you have, might check his posts on his Regal. Copied his suggestion for a single tank 88 Regal and it worked fine and was less complicated than the dual tank he did. Going to do similar modification to my Glasnose except my tanks both flow, so not going to drop them and remove the pick-up socks and they do not have fuel pumps.

As a point of reference, wish the tanks were both dropped and cleaned and a straight pick-up tube with no sock was installed as Steve did, my Glasnose fouls the filters like crazy.

Attached is a picture of the filter and pump set-up going in the Glasnose. It will be installed after the tank selector switch.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2055 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post