Tools
Reply To This Topic

Yuma extended forcast
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted
If someone had a 28 foot Barth Regal with two AC's how cool could you get the inside when the outside is 101deg??

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
I have a 28' with 1 AC and a small fan on the floor to move the air to the rear. In the 90-95 range it works well never had to deal with 100. JKB

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Another factor to consider is humidity. 80 degrees inside an RV in a humid climate is way different than 80 degrees in Yuma. When we had a permanent RV in the Colorado river valley, we were much more affected by humidity caused by irrigation conditions than by temperature.

I can say that our 27 foot fiver was pretty well cooled by one air conditioner there. Temps never got above 128 there. We were seldom inside during the heat of the day, as we were out on the river, but it was always cooler enough inside that it felt good. We had partial shade, so even if I remembered hard numbers, they wouldn't be of much use.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Would it be just as hot in Glendale Az.?
Our eldest daughter Allison has just accepted a position at the Glendale campus, Arizona State University. She starts in August. She's moving from from a job in Rockefeller Centre and figures it can't be worse than NYCs 95 degree smog.
When she finds a place to live I'm hoping it comes with a 30 amp plug in for us in Jan/Feb/March!
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Glendale is likely to be a mite cooler, but not much. Glendale is a suburb in the Phoenix megalopolis which has its own smog problems, though not likely anywhere near those of N.Y.C, or the L.A. basin.

Bill's right about the humidity. When Dave's melting in 80 degrees & 90% humidity in Eden Prairie, folks in Glendale in 95 degrees & 15% humidity will be just beginning to break into a sweat.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
Our 28 footer has only one air and a couple years ago we went down into Hannibal, MO.. 90+ deg and humidity both, huge thunder boomers, tornado's within 50 miles of our location. With two fans, air on full blast, we couldn't get it under 85 until 9:00 at night. Condensation pouring off the roof. Believe it or not, when we were driving, we were more comfortable with the windows open and the defrost fans blowing on our faces..And the radio full blast..a couple high schoolers.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
When we had smaller RVs with one AC, we would curtain off the bedroom to allow the AC to cool the rest of the coach adequately. With your mid bedroom and rear bath, you would end up with a pretty small area to cool, and would be OK. Obversely, you could curtain off the area forward of the AC and cool the rear part of the coach for sleeping.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
I have talked with Camping World, they have an $89 install special on Coleman airs. Now my present air is in the living room and I have one of those chinsie 12v fans in the bedroom area. They said that they would transfer the older Coleman to the center and put the new "big mama" AC in the living room. The only question is do I have 120V up there by the 12v fan. If I don't they will charge a bit more to hook it up. I asked them if they would take it directly to the fuse box which is under the bed right below the fan. They made me feel confident. Apparently they do it all the time.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
There's a very good chance the 12 V wires are adequate (12 or 14 ga) and all that would need to be done is to connect them to 120 V. That may be for naught if they have to run a ground wire anyway.

Blackout curtains (which I use at star parties -heavy black cloth or naugahyde - I haven't yet made 'em for StaRV II) help quite a bit.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
In many motor homes, the 12 volt wiring is also connected to ceiling lights and other things, and as such is not usable as 115 wiring. Also, the negative side can be tied to a chassis ground here and there, further complicating the stew. If CW indeed does run new 115 volt wires, pay a little extra for a little heavier wire. It will be worth it on hot weekends when everyone else is plugged in running their ACs. I had to use a Variac to keep my voltage safe.

I have had good results with Reflectix bubble foil insulation. http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-locks/reflective-foil-insulation.htm

The foil reflects the radiation and the bubbles block some of the heat. Good on cold winter nights, too.

Also, you would be amazed at how a fresh coat of white roof paint can cool an RV down. I knew folks at the river who painted their roof every spring. My wife was inside while I was painting the roof, and she thought the sun had gone behind a cloud.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
In many motor homes, the 12 volt wiring is also connected to ceiling lights and other things, and as such is not usable as 115 wiring. Also, the negative side can be tied to a chassis ground here and there, further complicating the stew. If CW indeed does run new 115 volt wires, pay a little extra for a little heavier wire. It will be worth it on hot weekends when everyone else is plugged in running their ACs. I had to use a Variac to keep my voltage safe.

I have had good results with Reflectix bubble foil insulation. http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-locks/reflective-foil-insulation.htm

The foil reflects the radiation and the bubbles block some of the heat. Good on cold winter nights, too.

Also, you would be amazed at how a fresh coat of white roof paint can cool an RV down. I knew folks at the river who painted their roof every spring. My wife was inside while I was painting the roof, and she thought the sun had gone behind a cloud.

Good point about the cascaded circuits - the center fan on mine is on an independent circuit..maybe it was an afterthought, since mine's the prototype.

I agree about the Reflectx; it works very well for cold and hot - I also use it for the windshield and driver's window.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
80 degrees in Yuma is just starting to get comfortable Smiler

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post