Tools
Reply To This Topic

Bugs, bugs, bugs
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
I spent a year in Korea 1967-1968 and as we laid there in our quonset huts each night during "non winter" the pickup truck would come by blowing that stuff like a massive fog over the entire camp. Then in the morning there was a 1/2 inch of bugs of all kinds everywhere. Then came the birds. Thousands of birds "starlings?" eating those bugs. Did I tell you about the birds that carried away a jeep...really!!

Did nothing for the rats though....rats...big rats...real big rats...

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
DDT was developed during WW II. I was in the Army in the late '40s, in Japan. We had bug bombs, but they didn't work like today's. They were black, or O.D. in color, shaped like miniature propane tanks. No push buttons, they had a little needle valve on the end you unscrewed to start the spray. A quick shot under your mosquito net, & you slept nicely.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
We had those as well when I lived in Alaska. Someone discovered a cache of them (several thousand) in one of the gun emplacements.

Since the Navy didn't have them in inventory, and the Army disavowed any knowledge, the base commander transferred them to Special Services and sold 'em IIRC, for 5 cents each.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Only Black Widow i have ever seen was when we were on vacation in Az about 10 years ago...none in the 5 years that we lived there. Have also only seen 1 rattle snake during that time, however this spring i did see sidewinder tracks in the desert a couple of times before we left and know a guy who saw one in the same area a couple of days before we left. Have seen a few garter snakes and 2 King snakes but that is it. I like Turantulas, they are pretty neat but there again you don't see them very often.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post