Tools
Reply To This Topic

Bugs, bugs, bugs
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted
Anyone outside of Minnesota ever heard of a box elder bug?? For the last three years they have been everywhere...In the house out side, where ever the sun shines...Thousands of them, help, we are going B.E. bug crazy..

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Never thought I could talk about Box Elder bugs without being taken away by a Thread Drift SWAT Team.

But, yeah, we had a box elder tree in Iowa that provided summer shade for our house so well that my parents didn't buy air conditioning until it blew down in a storm. The bugs in your photo seem mostly black. I remember ours as having equal parts orange and black.

I have seen them all over the upper Midwest, Canada and Colorado and Utah. Kansas, too, I think.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
Now Bill, thread drift would be if I now started talking about motorhomes. This thread is about bugs and bugs alone...got it.

Hey Shadow, want to weigh in here on Black Widows, Turantulas and Rattle Snakes...

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Box elder bugs? Ya sure, you betcha. I remember them from childhood in MN. Sounds like you have an unusual infestation this year. My memory of their colors matches Bill H's.

I have less pleasant summertime memories of the Minnesota state bird, the mosquito, & swarms of flies.

All we have around here is springtime invasions by carpenter ants, the occasional brown recluse spider, & swarms of yellowjackets in the fall.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
I can't get my better half excited about AZ. I tell her no mosquito's, no humidity. You can sit out in the evenings. Come mid May once it is dusk the bugs drive you in.

Talking about flies Olroy. We used to vacation in this beautiful area in Northern Wisconsin in a town called Bayfield. Then we would go to Madeline Island one of the Apostle Islands in Lake Superior. The days are wonderful and the nights provide an air to breathe which is indescribable. Like they say if you haven't slept on an island you haven't slept at all. But for 2-3 hours in the evening come the black flies.. And,,,they bite your ankles.. Why do they go for the ankles I do not know. Probably because it is the only area below the waist that is partially unprotected.

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bowers:
they bite your ankles.. Why do they go for the ankles I do not know. Probably because it is the only area below the waist that is partially unprotected.

Staying on thread here, they like your ankles because the skin is thin and the blood vessels are close to the skin. They smell blood.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
For the bugs, I recommend the Skeeter-Vac.

I live on a creek, and my cypress bog is a mosquito condo. Since getting the Skeeter-Vac (the biggest one), I've reclaimed my yard.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
....While surfin' last night, I went to:
Insects.com........

Fortunately, one of their threads had run-a-muck and drifted to a discussion on motorhomes...

Life has a way of balancing out, doesn't it? Smiler

PS: Dave - a SURE solution: get two short pieces of Spruce 2x4.....Lay'em on one and smack'em with the other......

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Dave, I had the same problem at a another place we have here in Michigan on the Grand River. They first appeared in the fall and then again this spring. I sprayed they with a can of Ortho insect killer. they all went scurring and I haven't seen them again. Of course I did say I had them in the fall and then again in the spring so maybe it just scares them over to the neighbors for a while.

Posts: 75 | Location: Wyoming, MI USA | Member Since: 05-01-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Dave; Cheap fix, per Jerry Baker the garden Guy, soapy water sprayed on them. JKB

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
Hey Doug, did the Ortho last fall, bugs are 1/2 last years, however, there going at it, (if you know what I mean) so we'll see. Ortho did work well and fast.

Sloop, bug guy is buggy, tried the soap and watter, cleaned my front door but the bugs seemed to like it.

Yuma rattlers look good about now.

She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Dave:

I have one word and the word is Diazinon.

If it moves this stuff will kill it.

If you ever go to sell your place I suggest being low key about ever using this product. But if you want to create an environment that is just a little more inhospitable to your new bug visitors than one of Jupiter’s moons this is the stuff to use. Wait two weeks for the next batch to hatch, do it again and say aloha to your front door coating.

Timothy

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
I used to keep my yard bugs off-balance by alternating between diazanon and malathion. Really worked.

Since we have gone into snail harvesting, we are back to soap. Works fairly well.

posted Hide Post
Whatever happened to good 'ole DDT ? Bugs didn't have a chance.

Posts: 25 | Location: Grand Prairie TX USA | Member Since: 03-18-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It's been banned for years due to causing problems with birds' eggshells and other major ecological disruptions. IIRC, Chris-Craft (yep, the boat builder) holds the license for its production...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post