Forums    General Discussions    Top speed for a 1978 24'er? Newbie interested.
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Top speed for a 1978 24'er? Newbie interested.
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Crazyshakespeare13
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys...these are def good starting points. I know it's not the fuel filter or lines as I just had both tanks dropped, recoated, and all lines replaces. I need to check the rest....what is the easiest way to check the muffler/exhaust?

Posts: 69 | Location: Ft. Worth | Member Since: 01-02-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
what is the easiest way to check the muffler/exhaust?

If it were newer, I'd suspect clogged catalytic converter.
Without one, a visual inspection to rule out crushed/kinked pipe should be sufficient.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Aside from plugged convertors or mechanical constriction in the pipes one culprit could be the exhaust heat riser valve.

One side bank of the V8 will have a flapper valve in the exhaust right near the manifold. It is supposed to close when cold to force exhaust from one bank through a channel in the intake manifold to the other side exhaust, thereby heating the intake manifold.

The valve is supposed to open when warm. If it sticks shut it will restrict the exhaust on that side. May be worth checking.

Some have an actuator to move them, some just a bimetal spring on the valve. Example:

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GirlsInPantsTour
posted Hide Post
We just bought Matt's 1977 Barth. So happy to come upon it this morning and it was only 1.5hrs away. Crushed home on the highways 55+. It's going to be a fun (and challenging) project. We are thrilled.

Posts: 8 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 05-28-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post
GirlsInPantsTour ,
Congratulations on the purchase of the Barth . cheers
I'm glad someone is taking on this project to save another piece of BARTH history . Have fun , Bob

Year:: 1986
Model:: Barth Regal
Length:: 25 ft
Engine:: New Chevy 454 HO
Chassis:: P-30
Data Tag Number:: 8606 3339 25FP2

Posts: 262 | Location: Wampum , Pa | Member Since: 02-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GirlsInPantsTour
posted Hide Post
Thank you! Can't wait until it's usable.

Posts: 8 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 05-28-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
An uneventful 1 1/2 hour ride home?? That's one heckofa good start

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
My 454, 82, 25 footer, does well and I like to drive it around 60 mph, pulling a 19 foot bass boat. I have run it faster but then I can watch the gas tank gauge go lower, lol I did put new air springs in it and that helped with the stability a bit.

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post