Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

I need help w/ a Barth MCC
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hello,

I'm new here but not to RVing. I'm considering the purchase of a coach advertized as a Barth MCC. It looks for all the world like a stretched FMC but it's powered by an 8.2L Detroit and the front looks different. It's a really nice looking coach but I'd like to know what am I looking at? Is it really a Barth? Thanks for any help you can be.

Posts: 55 | Location: Hagerstown, MD, USA | Member Since: 07-24-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
HI eugarps,

Welcome to Barthmobile.com and the Barth community. There is only one word to use when considering an MCC chassis, and that word is RUN. Unless you are the kind of guy that has owned a series of MGs and just have loads of expendible income.

But seriously, the MCC chassis has not been made for years so there are no parts available for them except a guy in Lincoln, IL who is an MCC zealot and hand makes brake parts and charges a fortune for them.

Now if you are the kind of guy that has awesome mechanical abilities and can do a brake job along the side of a road, and looks forward to that opportunity then this coach is for you. The fact is the MCC chassis was entirely air suspension, with a great wide stance that drove like a race car. But it was expensive and didn't have much storage because it sat so low.

Now as far as the Detroit engine. You know how you have heard of DDL engines traveling a million miles. Well that's not this engine. Most mechanics call these old DDL 8.2 engines throwaways because the cost of rebuild is so high.

Shux, I hate to be the bearer of bad news. There are so many great reasons to choose a Barth. The MCC Regency's I do not believe are a fair representations of the Barth line. This is the same as the Euro line that Barth made in 1982 and 83 that had plastic caps. Shortly after these missteps they returned to the tried and true, settling on Spartan and Gillig Chassis for diesels and GM, Oshkosh and John Deere for gas. (Oshkosh and John Deere are now part of Freightline)

Best of luck and let us know how it comes out.

------------------
Shortcuts Always Take Longer

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Thanks. Goes to show you that if something looks too good to be true, then is probably is. I'd been looking at FMC's and like the low profile and handling but the FMC still has a parts distribution network of sorts and lots of folks restore them. If the FMC parts would work on the MCC, then it would be worth looking at. This particular coach has 30,000 miles on it and the current owners want $29,500 for it. They bought it with 10,000 miles on it about 14 years ago and it's been barn kept ever since.

Guess I'll keep looking. BTW, the guy in Lincoln deals in FMC's as well but his FMC parts are more reasonably priced. The FMC handled like a sportscar as well but its suspension was more like a Porsche's and didn't use air to hold it up. I'd looked at a number of coaches that have air suspensions and they seem consistently to be trouble.

Best regards,

Bill

Posts: 55 | Location: Hagerstown, MD, USA | Member Since: 07-24-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
For those who are unaware, this is the kind of coach referenced here.
1982 Barth MCC

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited August 14, 2002).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave,

That's the EXACT on I was refering to. It's in Liberty, MO and the owners have never had any problems with it. I guess some are better than others.

Best,

Bill

Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I apoligize if I implied that there was something wrong with this coach. I have talked to many MCC owners and FMC owners. They were marvels of modern design. The only two problems I have is parts availability. I received two emails just last week from mechanics who were looking for brake parts. I just have a problem when there is just one or two sources left for an item.

I also have a really big problem with the price they are charging for these things.

Just for the sake of a history lesson. Barth actually bought the MCC chassis company in the early 80's. They changed the name to Regency Products Inc. or RPI. So if you see a Barth with an RPI chassis it is an MCC. I have been told that it was Barth that let the chassis die out to the chagrin of many owners and MCC lovers.

------------------

posted Hide Post
Dave,

No apologies necessary, my friend. I was searching for advice and yurs is well taken. I happen to be a pretty good mechanic for a civil engineer and have restored 4 antique cars ranging from a 1912 Cadillac Phaeton to a 1931 REO Rotal Standard, so I know the concept of scarce parts. In a motorhome, thoght, it's different, because you're calling upon it to provide long distance transport and the vehicle is huge by comparison.

On the other hand, I live in Hagerstown, MD and the area is dotted with truck service garages due to the geography for being located at the interchange of I-70 and I-81. If MCC used truck parts for their chassis components, I should be able to find the part here. We have Freightliner and Spartan chassis shops within one I-81 exit of my house and even larger facilites just up the road in Harrisburg, PA. I'm looking for 19.5" Alcoas right now around here and the Spartan shop says they can probably come up with a set.

Thanks again for your comments. I wouldn't have asked, if I didn't want to know.

Best,

Bill

Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
"Would you believe?"

Today, I took my daughter to UW Eau Claire, WI for a tour. She will be a senior in high school next year.

There on a construction site, "they are adding on to the library" is 3 count'em 3 FMC's two were pristene and one was rough. They were onsite offices and one for security quarters.

They are pretty cool.

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited August 15, 2002).]

posted Hide Post
Dave,

I got the interior photos of the coach and was really impressed. I also checked with the diesel shop (they service about every diesel imaginable) and the said the big issues with the 8.2L Detriot were head gaskets blowing and oil leaks. Either of which they can fix butthe try not to work on motorhomes because of access to the engine by mechanics with grease on them. I'll check this coach out and see if the engine can be removed for repair very easily.

Best,

Bill

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
...This is for Dave Bowers

Several years ago we emailed about MCC and I told you about my MG so this is to let you know that I just got a MCC!

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post