Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

HEIGHT
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted
I WAS JUST WONDERING WHAT THE HEIGHT IS ON A REGENCY 1992? SINCE WE ARE JUST TWO A PART NICK MAYBE YOU COULD ANSWER THIS ONE .IT TELLS ME THE HEIGHT ON GROUND CLEARANCE.ANY IDEA?
LENNY

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
or how could get a safe hight without ripping off something?
lenny

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
When Tere and I bought our Regal we had the same concern. Instead of depending on printed info, I climbed up on the roof with a 6' long, straight, 2X4 and a 3' long level. I placed the 2X4 on top of the air conditioner(highest point on the roof), made sure it was level, and Tere measured the distance from the bottom of the 2X4 to the ground. In our case, it was 10' 6" with tires fully inflated. We don't go under anything that has a clearance of less than 11'.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
Picture of Curtis H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
In our case, it was 10' 6" with tires fully inflated. We don't go under anything that has a clearance of less than 11'.

Have you ever encountered anything that is less than 11', besides parking garages or drive-thru? If so, is there anyway to know before you get there and read the warning sign?

"The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches but to reveal to him his own." Benjamin Disraeli

Posts: 99 | Location: Rochester, MI | Member Since: 10-08-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
With so much at stake, I would not feel sure that anyone else's figure would necessarily apply to my coach.

Jim and Tere's method on a level surface is the best way to go. Or a laser level.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Some airport pick up lanes, some old railroad underpasses. The Interstate standard is 16' in rural areas, 14' in urban areas. Towns and states have different limits. For instance, the town of Kinnickinnic, WI, Big Grin is 13.5'. In my experience, they always have signs letting you know.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
We once made a left turn onto a street in a town and immediately saw a sign that said there was a low clearance 1/4 mile ahead of 10'4". I pulled into the first parking lot that i could fit into and turned around. Thought i would have to unhook but luckily it was a grocery store parking lot that wasn't too busy at that time of day. Curtis if you go to a truck stop they usually have a trucker's road guide that will give you all kinds of info on height/weight/length restrictions, plus a lot of other stuff. I have seen them for $60-$70 i think. I don't have one but have thought about getting one.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
Picture of Curtis H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow man:
Curtis if you go to a truck stop they usually have a trucker's road guide that will give you all kinds of info on height/weight/length restrictions, plus a lot of other stuff. I have seen them for $60-$70 i think. I don't have one but have thought about getting one.

Thanks Shadow Man, I'll have to keep a look out for that.

"The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches but to reveal to him his own." Benjamin Disraeli

Posts: 99 | Location: Rochester, MI | Member Since: 10-08-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THANKS AGAIN .I KNOW A UNDERPASS IN CLEVELAND THAT HAS BEEN RESURFACED AND THE SIGN HAS NEVER BEEN REPLACED THE SIGN SAYS 12FT.AND I KNOW THAT IT IS AT LEAST 10.5.IT IS THE RAILROADS RESPONSIBILITY.AND THEY DON,T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT.
LENNY
PS IT HAS BEEN OUTSIDE OF OUR SHOP FOR 20 YEARS

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/12
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Creepy Cawler
posted Hide Post
Hope you never get in one that isn't high enough!I took a cement tanker under a under pass that was 6 inches too low.... What a mess, took both lids off the top and they couldn't unlaod the cement till they welded on new lids .That was one load that didn't maske Emlenton bridge on I80 in Pa.
P.S. They didn't fire me though!

Posts: 140 | Location: Freedom Pa. U.S.A | Member Since: 04-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tigger
posted Hide Post
Oh, the memory. When younger I drove a big U-haul with my furniture in it to Texas. Had my car in tow. Pulled in to a gas station with overhead. Had no idea the *&^ thing was so high (newbie me). I cleared the roof but it was just exactly tall enough to push every one of the 15-20 6' floresent bulbs up and out of the fixtures. And they all rolled across the roof of the truck and on to the ground. WHAT A MESS. THANK GOODNESS I'M A GIRL, A GUY WOULD HAVE NEVER LIVED IT DOWN. (GRINS)

On the sign is written "DO NOT TOUCH THE BLOSSOMS". It goes unheeded by the wind, who cannot read.

Posts: 28 | Location: Pensacola | Member Since: 11-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Creepy Cawler
posted Hide Post
Bet that made more noise than the lids coming off the top of my cement tanker!

Posts: 140 | Location: Freedom Pa. U.S.A | Member Since: 04-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
At the airport, there were no clearance markings anywhere, nor were the vehicles marked for their height.

I drove something under an area of insufficient clearance and took out lights, sprinklers, comm lines, air lines, a whole bunch of flimsy stuff. It was so noisy there, with jets screaming, etc, and me wearing earplugs, that I think I was not aware of what I had done until I was well into the damage. Debris, water, sparks, fire-retardant foam, wires, asbestos, hazmat teams, etc.....everybody was there except Ghostbusters and Immigration.

You could smell the residue of the beef blood foam for weeks afterward.

I was saved from the guillotine by the fact that rules were in place for the marking of all clearances and all vehicles, but nothing was marked.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Creepy Cawler
posted Hide Post
One thing...after a episode like that you sure do pay attention to things overhead. I had just forgot about the lids on the tanker being higher than the tank and the tank looked the same as the stacks on my truck and it had been through the underpass many times. I pulled a 13-6 ft van for quite a few years and never had that happen again