Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Fridges
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/16
Picture of coaster48
posted
Since we all have older coaches...how many have replaced their fridge or the cooling unit??
I have a Dometic Designer Series that wasn't on any recall list and is working great
I keep the setting at 2 and both freezer and fridge areas are at the right temps
I have been in really hot climates and it has worked well consistantly on both gas and shore power
How long do these units last....mine is now 17 years old? Should I be proactive and replace the cooling unit or...............
Appreciate some comments, Neil

1995 Regal 31 Ft.
Ford F 53 Chassis
460 EFI

Posts: 93 | Location: Sechelt,B.C. Canada | Member Since: 03-17-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coaster48:
Since we all have older coaches...how many have replaced their fridge or the cooling unit??
I have a Dometic Designer Series that wasn't on any recall list and is working great
I keep the setting at 2 and both freezer and fridge areas are at the right temps
I have been in really hot climates and it has worked well consistantly on both gas and shore power
How long do these units last....mine is now 17 years old? Should I be proactive and replace the cooling unit or...............
Appreciate some comments, Neil
If it aint broken dont fix it keep the flue clean.

Posts: 191 | Location: vancouver island bc | Member Since: 01-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/13
Picture of sk8er32283
posted Hide Post
If anything I would look around and find out what does go wrong with most other's fridges when they do go out. Research the parts to be knowledgable on prices and resources. Then(knock on wood) when it does go, you will feel confident in your decision making from there.

Rodney

1988 Barth Regency 38ft
CAT 3208AATC Intercooled
Allison 4 speed w/ air shifter
Gillig Chassis
7.5KW Onan Diesel Generator
Click for Charleston, South Carolina Forecast

Posts: 81 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID(United States Navy) | Member Since: 01-01-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of StinkyDaddy
posted Hide Post
Ours is 47 yrs old and still works.

Bill & Sherrie
'65 Barth Travel Trailer (built in '64)
B1-174-24
'66 Barth Travel Trailer
D11-412-24
www.WilliamMitchellStudios.com

Posts: 549 | Location: Southern Virginia | Member Since: 09-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Hey, I'm 75 and still work Big Grin (well, sort of).

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I replaced my 2-way Norcold with a 3-way; the old one had a refrigerant leak.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
RV refrigeration 704-821-9119 Matthews,NC Sam Obermiller Rebuilds them better than the new ones.

Tere Bianchi

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Probably one of the most important things to remember is while the refer is running, to keep it as close to level as possible. This keeps the ammonia flowing well and doesn't create hotspots that will eventually cause a leak and lose of ammonia. Using the refer while driving seems OK as there is enough movement to prevent pooling.

My Refer was replaced at ~70K ~2005? before I bought it. The PO did state that he never used the leveling jacks as he was afraid that they would fail so I can only assume that this was a possible root cause of the refer failure.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
While there's a slight savings in getting a rebuilt cooling unit, there's also a benefit to a completely new one, and that's why I chose that route. The new unit incorporates improvements, on mine the plastic components were deteriorating, and there's a new-unit warranty, plus I upgraded to a 3-way.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post