Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

road trip
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Ok, got the Nose on the ground and did a short 10 mile test drive. Looks like it was a plugged brake line. The Barth stops straight and even a bit better than before. The pedal is ok but if I pump it a couple of times I can get a wee bit more pedal, so I think I'll bleed it again. Thanks again for the information.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Here is a pic with the carpet back a bit further, no sign of an access plate!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
It a big oval plate that is secured with machin screws. The plate in your picture looks like mine. If you scrape around the edges you find 4 screws. There is a rubber gasket between the plate and the floor.The Master Cylinder lines up with the frame rail.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.google.com/imgres?...3MDc&iact=mrc&uact=8
See if this shows the panel.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom and Julie:
https://www.google.com/imgres?...3MDc&iact=mrc&uact=8
See if this shows the panel.

Wow that is nice my glass nose as you can see has nothing like that! I wonder what is the difference and why, mine is an 81 chassis...Your dog house sides are lower than mine and mine is closer to the gas pedal!

The wider dog house in my unit would take up a quarter of the plate in your picture. I will scrape that area when I bleed the brakes again just to make sure.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post

Hey I can get pictures using Edge, just do a copy on the URL selection in PB and paste in the message box, things are easier than opening Explorer,, Whoopee!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
A vehicle of this weight really needs disc brakes all the way around not just in the front.

Is there a conversion for the back drums, that will not lead me into the poor house??

P30 chassis
350 engine

posted Hide Post
I am looking at your picture and I can see the outline of the missing panel just where I showed you. Look closely at the right side of th picture and there it is! As for brakes, you do not need disc brakes in the rear on a truck. The rear brakes contribute 10% of the total stopping forces. They get their greatest wear when backing up. We have not had any issues with the drums on our 22 ft. Glasnose.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I am looking at your picture and I can see the outline of the missing panel just where I showed you. Look closely at the right side of the picture and there it is! As for brakes, you do not need disc brakes in the rear on a truck. The rear brakes contribute 10% of the total stopping forces. They get their greatest wear when backing up. We have not had any issues with the drums on our 22 ft. Glasnose.

posted Hide Post
Don't know what happened, tried to correct spelling and it just re-posted itself.

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am looking at your picture and I can see the outline of the missing panel just where I showed you. Look closely at the right side of th picture and there it is! As for brakes, you do not need disc brakes in the rear on a truck. The rear brakes contribute 10% of the total stopping forces. They get their greatest wear when backing up. We have not had any issues with the drums on our 22 ft. Glasnose.

Tom you are having a fig newton, I stripped the area down to the almost bare metal, some paint or something left there, check these two pictures,,,no access plate!!!!!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Well, now that the area is so well cleared out just get an air chisel and remove that offending metal! Sawsall needed here..? Mechanic ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
I think it was Beetle Bailey that said, "It's amazing how many holes there are if you just uncover them."

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I find it curious that our Euros, only 38 apart down the assembly line, are so different. You don't have an access panel for the MC, and now I find out you have drums on the rear.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
I find it curious that our Euros, only 38 apart down the assembly line, are so different. You don't have an access panel for the MC, and now I find out you have drums on the rear.

From what they tell me at the parts stores in that era, four versions of the P30 were built, step van, motor home chassis, with and without drum brakes, and stripped van. So who can tell what Chevy did to what! I checked back a little further than what the pictures show to where Barth had chalked in some sheet aluminum and the started the coach structure.

Another thing, my radiator is mounted for vertical flow and all the others seem to be mounted for cross flow. Steve was surprised to see that, seems like they used the same radiator though.

P30 chassis
350 engine