Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

road trip
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted
Well took a short overnighter and boat trip in the ole Nose. Temperature stayed below 80C all the time, pulled the boat nicely!

Today I will check the oil, hope it did not burn as much as usual. I might make Mary Ray days if all looks good!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Hey yippy, does not seem to have used any oil in about 150 miles, would have used about quart before. The oil is much cleaner than it would have been before too, maybe it is beginning to like the 10/40 Rotella too.

The Nose seems to like running at 80c- rather than 110c+.

Now if I can get the rubber brake lines in the front changed, probably do pads at same time. I might just be off to Mary Ray Days!!!

The brakes are fine except for a slight pull to left only on the first push down then the pull goes away until the next stop so I give them a pump before I stop. I think I might have partial blockage in one of the rubber lines.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
The rubber lines are a pain. I destroyed the front right rotor and pads when the lines swelled and wouldn't allow fluid to be released after a stop. If you don't have a laser thermometer to check wheel, hub, and disc temps, I highly recommend getting one.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
a laser thermometer to check wheel, hub, and disc temps, I highly recommend getting one.
The non contact thermometer is also important for use in checking for low tire pressure Danny. Immediately after pulling into a rest area you can check the tire temperatures. Be sure to check the similar location on the tread of each tire. Compare all six tire temperatures. They generally only vary by 5 or 6 degrees. If there is a higher temperature on any tire it generally is the one with low pressure. The additional flexing of a low pressure tire will cause the tire to be warmer or hot. A specific temperature is not what you are looking for. You are looking for a temperature that is not consistent with the other tires.
My non contact thermometer hangs by the coach entry door for easy access. Tooling Along

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Replace the hoses with Russell Braided Stainless Steel of the same length. Available everywhere on the web. They are the same as all GM p30 vehicles.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Great advice, thank you all!!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
After a few days of rain and a great chat with ED MWrench, I got back to my brake job today.

I got the brake line on the passenger side off, I can not blow through it, so once again advice from fellow Barthers was correct.

Get the brake caliper and mating parts super clean or you will never get the caliper holding device back in place, even then it is a pita I have a bit of arthritis in my wrist flaring up and can not swing a hammer very hard, going to ask the neighbor to tap it the rest of way in place.

This job is way more taxing than it should be, or I am just getting old!!!

Another thing, I thought I would just get a rebuild kit for the caliper, 36 year old rubber did not appeal to me. Wrong move! I found it impossible to get the rubber boot back in place, a bit of pitting from some corrosion would not let the darn thing seat properly and the piston would not go in easily. Spent the 30 bucks for a new caliper, will probably do the same for the drivers side too.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
Practice up. I need to replace the caliper on my drivers side so I can bleed the brakes and flush the fluid. A PO broke the bleeder nipple off. Don't worry. I pee Miller Light so you'll never get thirsty while working!

Posts: 218 | Location: Lancaster, PA | Member Since: 09-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Did my front wheels a while back:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...413963477#5413963477

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Did you check for that Master cylinder access plate on the drivers side floor yet? I would be very surprised if there isn't one.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
I have yet to search for the access plate, will probably get that today, DannyZ.

Nice write up Steve, Of course you did it, that Regal of yours was the receiver of top notch care. Yes the lug bolts are tight, I had to put a 4 foot extension on my breaker bar and still had a tough time loosing the buggers!

Benebob, come down to Mary Ray Days I am sure there is an auto parts store near by, The rubber lines are probably getting close to the end anyway Probably want to get them ahead of time, mine were special order, and they put the brackets on wrong, I had to put the drivers side on the passenger side. I hope the drivers side will take the other one. I also had to grind off the bracket mounting bolt, those wonderful Chevy Engineers put a tab on the mounting brackets that make it impossible to get a wrench on the bolt.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
Can't make it down to Mary Ray's this year. I already did the passenger side caliper and hose, only hitch was I ordered the wrong hose so had to go to advance auto parts for one. I'm just lazy at the moment. Needed a new rear axle seal for inspection and have no interest in doing that so my mechanic will be doing it when the rain stops here as he will be working outside. Not looking forward to taking my 5 month old fan clutch off. Not sure what is making the noise but I'm getting what sounds like a belt squeal above 3k rpm when the fan clutch is running. Nothing when it isn't. All the belts are quite new and nice and tight so I'm thinking it is either the fan clutch itself or the water pump. That's what I get for buying AC Delco parts over GMB!

Posts: 218 | Location: Lancaster, PA | Member Since: 09-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Benebob, I believe you must have spilled some of that craft beer on your radiator and the local wild life are having a real party under your dog house, when you hit 65 mph they love to squeal!!!! cheers

DannyZ,,,I did another look from under the nose and still did not find an access plate, I am going to remove the driver side carpet tomorrow, maybe. Getting a bit tired of this job. lol There is a panel in the wheel well that blocks some of the area of the floor.

Put the Drivers side caliper in, hook up the new brake line, it is the correct one, bleed the system, put the wheels back on, test ride, have some beer!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
DannyZ, I pulled the carpet back between the accelerator pedal and the drivers seat, that is the area right above my master cylinder there is no access plate! There is a formed plate under the accelerator pedal welded in that holds the accelerator pedal mounting. I will try to get a picture on here today if PB is in a good mood. I was with only one cut able to "bleed" me and the brakes and refill the MC. Deadhorse

Going to put the Barth back on the ground and torque the lug nuts, do a test drive today!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
This shows the nose jacked up and a glimpse of the new radiator.

That is 12 ton jack and the stands are 6 ton each.

P30 chassis
350 engine