Forums    General Discussions    RV insurance recommendations?
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

RV insurance recommendations?
 Login now/Join our community

posted Hide Post
Hey Rusty, I emailed you directly this morning and it came back as non-deliverable this afternoon. I need advice on insurance, even more after trying to get an online quote from progressive which left me confused. would you please email me directly and I'll send you my questions again? (if you are willing, that is.)
thank you.

Posts: 48 | Location: boonville,ca. | Member Since: 01-30-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
A company has to be licensed to operate in a state, which means it agrees to conform to the statutes and DPI rules and regulations. Of the least desirable states, MA ranks third behind NJ and PA.

Most states have some form of no-fault, so that's not it. More than likely, companies don't gravitate to MA because of politics, where the DOI doesn't allow adequate rates, in the guise of "protecting consumers". So many companies just sensibly avoid the hassle.

Oddly enough, the states with the least regulation of rates tend to have the lowest premiums; among these are IL, NC, and OH.

------------------
Rusty

StaRV II, '94 28' Breakaway, 6.5L TD
2 Not-spoiled Golden Retrievers.

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
We are covered by Westbend Mutual of Westbend, WI. We signed on with them a few years ago when we had an unfortunate year of 3 tickets and an accident. They were one of these assigned risk dealers. Now here it is some 10 years later we are clean and grean and no one can touch them pricewise and I have tried them all. Plus, get this, they let me pay one year at a time. Aren't most of you guys doing 6 month stints.

With the Barth sitting in the snow next to the garage I pay some rediculous $100 for the entire winter but still have all coverage if it is burned down. And many of you remember that I had some, vandalism last year and lost 4 tires..They covered it on comprehensive...Good company...

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Odd as it may seem, most companies are customer-oriented. Even thought I'm not the fave agent of the Claims Department of most of the companies I represented, they usually take the honoring of the contracts seriously.

I had but one serious confrontation with a Progressive Claims Manager. After my consultation with Upper Management, and careful review, he's now employed in another profession.

I had but one serious confrontation with an Auto-Owners Claims Manager. After my consultation with Upper Management, and careful review, he's now employed in another profession.

Now, neither gut got fired because of my protests or working my way up the food chain, but what I did was to insist that management look over the records of these two individuals (it didn't hurt that the CEO of A-O was a personal friend).

That both companies terminated these incompetents is, to me, a mark of the dedication to no-nonsense settlement of claims.

------------------
Rusty

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well guys, while I appreciate the recommendations, according to their websites neither Westbend Mutual nor Auto-Owners are active in California. (bummer)
The Progressive online quote just served to confuse me as I am still ignorant of terms, etc. and need more explanation to make wise choices.
Rusty, d'you still 'sell' insurance and if so are you interested in a pacific coast client?
IF not, would you be open to talking with me about my needs and make recommendations I can follow up on? Either way, thank you for your help.
This forum is GREAT. thanks to all of you who are so knowledgable, kind, and helpful.

Posts: 48 | Location: boonville,ca. | Member Since: 01-30-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by healerman:
Well guys, while I appreciate the recommendations, according to their websites neither Westbend Mutual nor Auto-Owners are active in California. (bummer)
The Progressive online quote just served to confuse me as I am still ignorant of terms, etc. and need more explanation to make wise choices.
Rusty, d'you still 'sell' insurance and if so are you interested in a pacific coast client?
IF not, would you be open to talking with me about my needs and make recommendations I can follow up on? Either way, thank you for your help.
This forum is GREAT. thanks to all of you who are so knowledgable, kind, and helpful.

I fixed the email bounce and sent you an email.

I recommend using an agent for most insurance, because they're in a position to explain coverages; the most important thing and agent can do is explain what's not covered.

Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"Oddly enough, the states with the least regulation of rates tend to have the lowest premiums..."

I don't find it ODD at all; I find it to be OLD - as in one of the oldest truisms:
Competition (guvmint stays the **** out)makes for better deals.

------------------
"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
That's exactly the reason - politicians have never learned that economics can't be legislated.

------------------
Rusty

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
Yup! I had a run-in with a short post that mangaed to go (almost)under the driver side compartments. The two compartment doors came right off with out a scratch but then bin is pretty dinged up along with a little skin problems.

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For whatever this is worth: Yesterday I requested an insurance quote via Progressive's internet site. It was very easy, providing you know what coverages you want. I was quoted a annual premium of $670.00. I then called Liberty Mutual, of whom I have my auto and homeowner's insurance. They quoted my $617.00 for similar coverage. Then I went to my local independent insurance office and had the agent quote me the same coverage via her office from Progressive. $472.00. That was for $250.00 deductible on comprehensive and a $500.00 deductible on collision. She said towing was not offered for motorhomes. The other coverages were midrange. So overall Progressive seemed to be the best for me, based on this comparison. Similar experience with a friend of mine who owns a 1999 Trek. Low usage also and under $500.00. Dave V

Posts: 19 | Location: The Villages, Florida USA | Member Since: 02-04-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
For what It's worth, I have progressive and I have towing on mine. Go figure.

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post