Forums    General Discussions    1988 Jaguar XJ-S Hess & Eisenhardt conv.
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

1988 Jaguar XJ-S Hess & Eisenhardt conv.
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted
A couple of weeks ago we adopted this orphan kitty. We just wondering if anyone in the Barth group has one of those or knows about them. Jaguar did not make a convertible in 86/87/88 but rather sent a coupe to Blue Ash Ohio to have the top cut off and "converted" which resulted in a complicated fuel system. We have an experienced mechanic for it but are looking for other people with some insight. It got a V12 Jaguar motor and am GM400 transmission (original). A little on the heavy side (4200 lbs). No one knows how many are built, estimates vary from 1250 to 2000, with about 300-500 remaining. The Hess and Eisenhardt factory burned to the ground in 1988, all records and manuals lost. H&E made conversions for presidents, queens and wannabees. Also made the conversion for JFK in which he got shot. Supposedly had a bullet proof "bubble" top he did not wanted to use. Looking forward to spring and take her cruising. Tooling Along

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Can't help much on the H&E, as my XJS is a hardtop.

Why do you think the conversion resulted in a complicated fuel system?

It's good you have an experienced mechanic.

Be paranoid about fuel leaks where the injectors connect to the rails.

Here are a couple of links to good Jag forums:

These are specifically XJS, but there is some commonality with the sedan models in a lot of areas, so their other rooms can be helpful, as well.

http://www.jcna.com/forums/mai...?Vref=JCNA&Vfnum=150

http://forums.jag-lovers.org/i...mWxgLJCy%2BIoQ%3D%3D

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
In 1963, I bought a 1954 XK 120 roadster. Paid $1000 for it to a girl that had bought it for her boyfriend and then they broke up. Being smart, she titled it in her name, even though she couldn't drive it. It was mint. Put 6 coats of hand rubbed lacquer on it. It was a h*** of a car. The pistons were about as big as my leg. Can you imagine what it would be worth today? It ran 120 without even trying like it was on railroad tracks.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
In 1963, I bought a 1954 XK 120 roadster......
Jim

Yeah. I had a 120 coupe about the same time. It was a little more affordable than the roadster, and a little faster, owing to lower drag. I put a three carb head on it and upped the compression a little. Had to run White Pump Chevron in it to run enough advance. Took the head to Joe Mondello, a great port man, and he said he could do nothing to improve it. Found out later the head was designed by Harry Weslake, later of Gurney/Weslake fame. Chet Herbert ground me a cam that he claimed was an improvement on a Graham Hill/Speedwell profile. With 30 inch glasspacks, it was a lovely thing to accelerate through the gears in a tunnel. Smiler

Had to sell it due to an injury requiring an automatic. Got a MK IX, which handled about the same, just a little heavier and more top-heavy. Stopped WAY better with discs all round. I tried the same engine mods in the IX, but the power band was too narrow for the weight and the BW auto ratio spacing.

Perhaps we need a pity party thread here where we can all lament the vehicles we wish we still had. Frowner

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
head bang a 1956 XK140 is on craigslist for 80'000, two 1967 e type on for 85'000, one for 29'000. If I had a million dollars ... Wish our bus would have sold for that (1960 GM just not a collectors item).
About the fuel system. To fit that convertible top into the back, they removed the original fuel system and replaced it with two tanks and two fuel pumps. BUT-the bottom tanks pumps it into the upper tank, from there it gets pumped to the front, then run thru a fuel cooler (yepp) back into the bottom tank, then back up ... Plenty little fuel line to leak, vapor lock and Jaguar had so many recalls on it because more than one garage burned to the ground (car in it). We know about the injector lines and the more we read it sounded like one driving fire bomb. Right now it is at the mechanic because it is stuck in 3rd gear (we bought it knowing that). Supposedly a sensor. Also found out it had the wrong fuel pump and filter and might need a caliper on the back. The mechanic is a 20 year Jaguar mechanic and got an XJS himself. Also had another H&E there for repairs. But except the fuel tank deal it was born as a coupe, so all that is the same. They dropped some 50 lbs weights into the headlight corner for harmonization and reinforced the body. How do you like your XJS? Are they worth the "trouble" mechanic Remember the more money goes into this project the less is left for my Barth on my Christmas wish list. Frowner

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I had a '58 3.4R 4-speed with the Normanville deLaycock overdrive. Splendid car. 140 mph easy.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin+Doris:
head bang a 1956 XK140 is on craigslist for 80'000, two 1967 e type on for 85'000, one for 29'000. If I had a million dollars ... Wish our bus would have sold for that (1960 GM just not a collectors item).
About the fuel system. To fit that convertible top into the back, they removed the original fuel system and replaced it with two tanks and two fuel pumps. BUT-the bottom tanks pumps it into the upper tank, from there it gets pumped to the front, then run thru a fuel cooler (yepp) back into the bottom tank, then back up ... Plenty little fuel line to leak, vapor lock and Jaguar had so many recalls on it because more than one garage burned to the ground (car in it). We know about the injector lines and the more we read it sounded like one driving fire bomb. Right now it is at the mechanic because it is stuck in 3rd gear (we bought it knowing that). Supposedly a sensor. Also found out it had the wrong fuel pump and filter and might need a caliper on the back. The mechanic is a 20 year Jaguar mechanic and got an XJS himself. Also had another H&E there for repairs. But except the fuel tank deal it was born as a coupe, so all that is the same. They dropped some 50 lbs weights into the headlight corner for harmonization and reinforced the body.

Oh-----My------God!

A regular XJS is a lot of work. This sounds like it takes the cake.

quote:

How do you like your XJS? Are they worth the "trouble" mechanic (

I don't like it because I am tall and gimpy. It is hard to get in and out of, and my head rubs the headliner.

I like it for its looks and its V12 power above 85 mph. Below that, it is like an electric motor. On the road, if I get irritated with a slow driver, and finally get a chance to accelerate past him, the engine just starts to get happy when it is time to pull back in and maintain a legal speed. It is a lovely howl, and just pulls and pulls. My wife used to live where there was a nice long uphill section of the freeway up to her house. How I loved to accelerate up that hill! The V12 engine needs to work to be appreciated.

That said, I also have an XJ6 S3 into which I stuffed a Vette LT-1/LT4 engine/trans. I did the project as a quickie, but ended up really liking the car---------so much that the S is not driven much any more.

Sounds like you have a good mechanic. Around here, Jag mechanics think they have a license to steal. To continue on the FI hoses..........check them when both hot and cold. A connection can leak at one temp and not the other.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
I started in the auto repair business working on British cars 25 years ago. The only thing I remember about working on the XJS is always have a fire extinguisher handy, you WILL need it eventually. I seem to have blacked out all other memory and start switching just thinking about it. The XJ6 is an excellent car with a GM V8 conversion. I had one with an LS1 and regret the day I sold it. I have 20 years now working on Swedish cars and now recommending Japanese products since both Volvo and SAAB are now China owned.

www.swedishautomotive.com
77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Posts: 246 | Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina | Member Since: 04-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neil T.:
The only thing I remember about working on the XJS is always have a fire extinguisher handy, you WILL need it eventually.

Glad to hear you say that. I always am afraid I sound a little alarmist when I make cautious noises about engine fires.

quote:
Originally posted by Neil T.:
. The XJ6 is an excellent car with a GM V8 conversion. I had one with an LS1 and regret the day I sold it.

How did the LS1 fit in there? Did you install it yourself? Was there a kit involved?

I did mine with a kit, so all the hard thinking and fabrication was done ahead of time.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
Bill,
I bought it from the estate of a client years ago. He had it done by someone that used a mount kit but every thing else he fabricated if I remember right. I am not even completely sure it was a LT1 but that sounds right. The only part of the car I ever worked on for him was the original Jaguar stuff as the GM stuff was foreign to me at that time. I didn't own it long enough get into the drive train but it was an excellent road car with the best of both worlds. I always said I would build another one one day but with working on them every day, I cant get exited about the project.

www.swedishautomotive.com
77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Posts: 246 | Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina | Member Since: 04-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Speaking of V8 conversions of British cars, I owned 3 Sunbeam Tigers. one,a 1965 with the original Ford 260V8 and the others with hopped up 302s. The standard car with the 260 was relatively refined and reliable, the others were beasts. All were dangeros in he snow.

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
For every day we keep our 1990 Volvo handy. It got 204k mi on it and never gave us an ounce of trouble. We had a 83 Volvo we bought years ago for parts for $200, decided to just drive it (it looked rough, but ran excellent). After several years of use sold it for $500. Big Grin Cheapest car ever, just kept liability, never worried about scratches from shopping buggies! Break down? Just remove the tag, hitchhike home... Now Doris is waiting to "inherit" her dads 1977 Volvo (mint condition), he owned it since new but does not want to part with it. Nothing sporty, but they run and run and run. Back to the XJS: First thing out of the mechanic was "I thought they burned them (H&E) all down" and had a big grin. He said there are no parts available for the fuel system, but he always made something work. He is a pretty honest guy, he opened his own shop after the dealership cut his hours to nothing. But we sure will keep an eye on them FI lines (and get a fire extinguisher stationed near). Got the convertible so we should have enough headroom Big Grin but where do we find a 85mph plus speed limit (exept west TX)???

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/12
Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin+Doris:
where do we find a 85mph plus speed limit (exept west TX)???

God bless Texas!

30'- 1992 Breakaway on Spartan Chassis
5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B
7KW Kohler Propane Genset

Posts: 159 | Location: All of North America | Member Since: 02-16-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
I have a 62 Triumph TR4 with a 289 and C4 tranny. We call it the little red rocket. Big Grin Wife used it as a daily driver for a while when we lived on Maui but came home one day and handed me the keys and has never driven it since.....she got a little carried away with it.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chrisW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don in Niagara:
Speaking of V8 conversions of British cars, I owned 3 Sunbeam Tigers. one,a 1965 with the original Ford 260V8 and the others with hopped up 302s. The standard car with the 260 was relatively refined and reliable, the others were beasts. All were dangeros in he snow.

Must be a New York thing...I still have my GT350 and the 65' mustang convertible with the 289/4 speed.

1985 Regency 35'
8.2T Detriot Diesel / Allison
other toys - a bunch of old Porsches, a GT350 and a '65 mustang convertible.

Posts: 164 | Location: Syracuse NY | Member Since: 07-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post