Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

travels in Mexico
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted
...if you are going to drive to Mexico be sure to get Mexican coverage cause most North American insurance is not valid there...check out Sanborns---and coverage for six months is cheaper than three or more weeks!
And if you come across a bunch of guys with guns, hanging around the outskirts of a place, with a road bump of wood or gravel etc., and one of them steps out in front of (carrying a red flag on a stick) you had better stop...fast! cause they are the army on a drug patrol---they will do a casual, or more intense, search depending how they feel.
The first time I encountered them was in 2010 driving my Vue at about midnight about 10 hours from the US/Mexico border onto a side road towards Salamanca...I thought they were a drug cartel gang
so I just floored it and zoomed away down the road! Good thing they were not a good shot! We could hear the guns firing as we got away and safely outran the hail of bullets except for one that just hit my drivers door and left a slight dent under the door handle as road made a sweeping left turn. That was the most...interesting time; from then on whenever we came across a guy with a red flag we just played it very quiet and safe with no problems.
And the speed limit is 60 but....!!!

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
BE CAREFUL!

One of my friends, who is a missionary in Mexico, had a close friend, whose wife was killed when they tried to out run a road block....

They like Suburbans, other SUV's and pickups. If you drive, take a really ugly, old, beat-up car that they don't want. That's what he does.

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K&E:
BE CAREFUL!

If you drive, take a really ugly, old, beat-up car that they don't want. That's what he does.

Good advice.

In general, have nothing of any value. If it's valuable, someone will want to steal it. Even your credit cards should be very low value.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
Better yet, DON'T GO THERE.

Missionary journeys are one thing, and God Bless anyone who chooses that calling.

But there is NO reason whatsoever that I could imagine taking a recreational trip to Mexico in the foreseeable future. The good ol' U.S. of A. has plenty of territories that I haven't yet seen, and could spend a lifetime exploring. The chances of having to outrun armed thugs on who-knows-what-side is greatly diminished in America, and that's a good thing.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted Hide Post
I flew to Merida Yucutan in midNineties and rented a car. Drove all over the place and the Mayans were very nice. The darn local police were awful. Stopped me for things like running a yield sign. They walk up with a legal pad and werite stuff down and immediately tell you they will put you in jail if you do not pay. So, you negotiate and leave $50 american lighter. Mexico has Roman law. We have English law. In Mexico you are guilty until proven otherwise. Now, with the drug wars and lords, no way would I even consider that trip again.

Tom Taylor

Posts: 306 | Location: Jacksonville FL | Member Since: 05-21-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post