Tools
Reply To This Topic

Cat VS Cummins
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
I'm sure there are pros and cons on this subject. As a hopeful owner of a Barth diesel, I would be indebted to all who can comment. I guess it would be necessary to set some parameters.
1. Cummins 5.9@235HP vs Cat 3208T in a Barth with a GVWR not more than 20000#
2. Cummins 8.3 vs Cat 3208TA in a Barth with a GVWR not to exceed 30000#
Maybe the GVWR doesn't make any difference. Just thought that might be what you can find.
Thanks

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of madrone
posted Hide Post
The 3208T is hardly Cat's finest work, I would stay away from it. Some Regencys were built in the 90's
with the Cat 3176 which is a fine engine. I have owned both a 5.9 (92 Dodge pickup) and an 8.3C ('95
Winnebago Luxor AllSteer)Cummins and I firmly believe the pre-electronic Cummins engines of the early-mid 90's are the finest most reliable diesel engines EVER built!

Posts: 69 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 11-26-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The max you'll find a Cummins 5.9L 12V (B5.9) factory-rated is 230HP. I doubt you'd find the 10+L Cat 3208 in a 20K GVW coach; even the C8.3L would be an oddity.

I agree that the 3208 isn't Cat's best work but it's decent and a factory rebuilt is relatively economical.

My choice of engines would be, in descending order, C8.3L, Cat 3126, then Cat 3176. The 3176 is also a 10+L engine (6-cyl) so it's BIG. There was at least one Breakaway with the 3126. The Cummins and 3176 are sleeved cylinder engines, so (in theory) would be easier rebuilds. That said, a native block (unsleeved) engine can be perfectly suitable - how many folks put 500K miles on their RVs?

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Itchintogo
posted Hide Post
This is a real Ford vs Chevy Coke vs Pepsi discussion.

They all have their attributes. The Cummins in most cases will provide better fuel mileage that the 3208. But we all know that fuel is probably the cheapest thing long term in a coach. Typical mileage difference of 1 to 1.5 MPG only means 25 or 30 bucks a month for most users at 5000 to 7000 miles usage per annum. Always cracks me up when guys get stressed over half a mile to the gallon.

The 3208 you can buy long block replacement for about 7K. Not sure you can do that with the Cummins especially the 8.3. The 8.3 is a very respected engine that makes good power I am told. I like CATS but would never have a 3126. Leakers and longevity.

There are probably a thousand or more Bluebird FC's and SP's All American Steel coaches trundling around the roads with 3208's in them and they weigh in at 32 to 36K plus they pull toads and enclosed trailers for the last 28 years. So they will do the job for sure. Not the fastest but very steady and dependable. Not a sleeved engine but can be rebuilt if not too messed up but at the price of a long block why would you? 3208 also used in thousands of short haul trucks too.

But like I say it is Ford vs Chevy. Buy what you like best as you like your money better than anyone else does.

Gary

Posts: 19 | Location: Left Coast | Member Since: 07-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I deleted multiple copies of the same post...please advise your cats to stay off the keyboard... hide

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
What did that bumper sticker say?? "If it ain't a CAT, it must be a dog!" Sorry

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
But do they have high wings or low wings? One is so much better than the other ... ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5180 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Never saw a bird leave his feet out in flight ...hide

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
You ever watched herons on the wing? More leg than body! ROTFLMAO cheers Got a movie of an eagle with a shad that just couldn't quite fit in the feathers too but that probably shouldn't count.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
But do they have high wings or low wings? One is so much better than the other ... ROTFLMAO

One of each is better yet.

D17s, for example. http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/a...gerwing-Inflight.jpg

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Sandhill cranes have legs hanging way back, too. (The herons at least tuck their heads in, the cranes have neck way out front, too!)

At least they all have high wings, as nature intended. ROTFLMAO

Staggerwings: round motor, retractable gear, (the only reason for a low wing, to hide wheels!) probably the coolest airplane ever. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5180 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Let's see, 8.3 to 3208 to Sand Hill cranes. I love it Thumbs Up

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Guilty of thread hijack.. Roll Eyes

As for Cat vs Cummins, the "CAT Diesel Power" hats are very sought after in these parts... We see very few Cummins hats. ROTFLMAO

All good diesels, some better than others! Can't be beat for the long haul.

There is only one reason I wouldn't prefer a diesel to my generic GM V8 gasser: If the thing does break, I can get parts anywhere, anytime and I can fix it myself. (Right down to the crankshaft!) I get a certain satisfaction from the independence. Heck, I even have a spare tire!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Well Steve, I pulled off the head of my 5.9L Cummins to replace a leaky head gasket, replaced the leaky rear main seal. Ain't much difference between a big gasser and a small diesel, just weight and a lot of it. I did all the maintenance/overhaul on my DD 3-53s, 8V-71s, and 8V-92s in the good old days. Just a bunch of nuts and bolts and a lot of RTV, HaHa!

Parts? I can get anything I need anywhere for the Cummins 5.9L

Injection pump and pump timing requires some specialized tools and knowhow, but can be done with a little research.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah I could do it but... old dog, new tricks. head bang

After all, parts is parts, we just take em apart and put em together. mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp