Forums    General Discussions    TV question.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

TV question.
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
I hooked up the new Insignia 24 w/DVD and had no signal. After everything else I hooked up the converter box and voila! 55 channels! I thought new TVs didn't need the converter box, since they are already digital. Using batwing with wingman and original booster. ???

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3477 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
Any new flatscreen TV should have a digital tuner built in... maybe there is an option to switch between analog/digital and the analog is selected somehow. Check the manual and see what you can find. What's the Insignia model number?

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Contemporary TVs should have a digital tuner. As scotty said, check for a switch or another coax input. There's a slim but possible chance that TV is very old stock with an analog tuner.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Did you select, and run, CHANNEL SCAN from the menu? Did you select ANTENNA rather than CABLE from the onscreen menu? Whenever I go to a different place, I must run CHANNEL SCAN all over again.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Before you enter channel scan you have to enter a source. Without the box,I get "no signal" when I enter TV, which is the only possibility. There is also a box that says Ana 3. I can find nothing re switching to digital. This TV was new Memorial Day weekend, so I find it hard to believe it's analog only. BTW, couldn't find a model # but it's a 24"led w/ DVD.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3477 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I have a flat screen LCD TV and I also have to do what Mark has to do. My TV does say "no signal" until I do a scan. It will look for a default channel when first turned on and of course if it isn't programed for your area, it will not find a signal.

Make sure you have the antenna connected to the right antenna input if there is more than one, and the source is set to that input, and the scan is set for antenna not cable.

Let it scan, it may take awhile, some TVs scan VERY slowly before they will complete the task. It MUST complete the scan before it will work correctly.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
The model # should be on a small plate somewhere affixed to the back of the TV, or on the manual if you still have it. If you don't have the paper manual, we can probably look it up online but need that exact model # first... in order to find out if there's any analog feature that's being overlooked.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Try running the scan with the converter hooked up if it won't scan direct.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
If you scan with the converter hooked up it will only store channel 3 or 4 as the scanning system is looking for active channels to store. The converter box converts all incoming channels to either channel 3 or 4 depending on the switch setting on the converter. The TV has no idea what the real channel is that the box has been selected for.

If the converter is working, that would mean it already has Channel 3 or 4 in memory.

If the TV has had no programming, it will show "no signal" I think it comes factory default setting with channel 3 stored in memory, that would explain why the converter box works

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
After some lucky button pushing I got the TV working without the converter. The manual wasn't at all clear on the subject, but did what you guys said and it worked! Thanks.

79 Barth Classic

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
www.dtv.gov/maps
This will give you available channels in your area.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post