Reply To This Topic

Florida GTG 2014
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
I believe Rusty is referring to the Harley with the ape-hangers.

It's usually a Harley for us, too. The Japanese and Euro bikes come in making small mechanical sounds. Even the super fast, super powerful Ducatis are quiet. Then we hear the pink pink pink of their tent takes being driven. The Harley people come in and make several parade laps. Then, all night, one bike drives around making noise. Maybe they take turn, I dunno, but it goes on forever.

Motorcycle noise is a big annoyance to me, as I have ridden almost every day I was in-country since `57, and remember when motorcyclists had a bad name with the public and were bothered by the police. Dressing decently and having quiet exhausts really helped the image. Fortunately, many folks today know the difference between a Hoover and a Harley.

Before anyone thinks I am a Harley hater, my first bike was a HD, and my last one will be one. A KHK.
When I find the right one.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Along the Riverroad, a National Scenic Drive between Alton and Grafton, Illinois there are bike and hike paths. Liz and I and friends decided to enjoy the leisurely pace of biking from Grafton to a mid-point town, have a snack and return to the car in Grafton. After about half the planned trip we were so discussed with the Harley noise we turned and all future trips have been by water. That way we have a wider frame of view and a smaller view of noise.
With the exception when the returning bikers have a problem staying upright blowing 0.20%, then the noise of sirens gets a little distracting even with the half mile spacing the river gives.

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
One of my friends had a KHK in the late 60's. It was fairly loud. He had a black circle on the top of his right boot from covering the front shorty exhaust with his toes when coasting by the cops. Sure wish I bought that one and stashed it somewhere. It was pretty clean and he sold it cheap in the early 70's. Oh well..

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
That must have been with the 2 into 1 pipes. My KHK will have individual pipes.

Back when I was a naughty boy with loud pipes, I found that just using a light throttle kept me quiet. I even got out of a noise ticket once by pointing out that I was driving quietly in a residential area, and had been loud only on the highway.

Most noisy Harleys would be a lot quieter if the rider were not a throttle jockey, declutching and blipping all the time.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post
Just wondering if anyone took any pictures of the GTG & would not mind posting them . I always liked seeing the pics of the GTG's , even if i couldn't go to them . Bob

Year:: 1986
Model:: Barth Regal
Length:: 25 ft
Engine:: New Chevy 454 HO
Chassis:: P-30
Data Tag Number:: 8606 3339 25FP2

Posts: 262 | Location: Wampum , Pa | Member Since: 02-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post