Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Barth Manistee MI gtg
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/17
Picture of Lou
posted
Inviting all to another gtg in Manistee's Orchard Beach State Park. I need suggestions from Barthers as to what dates work.

Posts: 467 | Location: Allegan, MI. | Member Since: 08-14-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Hi Lou, we have a GTG in June and July, perhaps one in October, last year September worked well.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2042 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
As a rule, Michigan state parks are fully booked most of the summer, especially on weekends. We would need to book early as possible. After Labor Day, things quiet down a bit with kids back in school. Weekdays are always easier to get than weekends.

Manistee area is a very popular location for salmon and trout fishing in Lake Michigan. September and October are the peak fishing times, another argument for mid week dates.

I am retired and only two hours away so I am likely to go most any time. Perhaps others can make it and have dates in mind. Good luck. Always good to see Barth friends. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5158 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
Good points by Steve VW. I might add that October is color-tour time. Park usually stays open to mid October so 1st 2 weeks in October might work very nicely. Any other comments?

Posts: 467 | Location: Allegan, MI. | Member Since: 08-14-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lou:
Good points by Steve VW. I might add that October is color-tour time. Park usually stays open to mid October so 1st 2 weeks in October might work very nicely. Any other comments?

Lou might be a good idea to check with Doorman and see if he is doing an October GTG this year.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2042 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Hey, Lou any further up-dates on this GTG??

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
Duanne,
I'll send a pm to doorman. Sorry to take so long to respond but up to my eyeballs in helping Barb with an Olympic torch presentation. We did it today locally so now I can get back to the Barth gtg.

Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:
quote:
Good points by Steve VW. I might add that October is color-tour time. Park usually stays open to mid-October so 1st 2 weeks in October might work very nicely. Any other comments?

Lou might be a good idea to check with Doorman and see if he is doing an October GTG this year.

I checked with Doorman and there's no conflict. I recommend the second week of October for the Manistee GTG. Park closes 10/15, and colors travel south so that would be ideal for Doorman's place if you're traveling south. If not, colors should hang around long enough in the Manistee area.

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Second week of October should work for us. By the end of October we will be ready to "winterize" the coach. (Drive it to Florida!) It should be a nice time of year! Thumbs Up

Have Barth, will travel Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5158 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:
quote:
Good points by Steve VW. I might add that October is color-tour time. Park usually stays open to mid-October so 1st 2 weeks in October might work very nicely. Any other comments?

I checked with Doorman and there's no conflict. I recommend the second week of October for the Manistee GTG. Park closes 10/15, and colors travel south so that would be ideal for Doorman's place if you're traveling south. If not, colors should hang around long enough in the Manistee area.

Those of you who attended our GTG last year may recall that the building that was "too close" to Lake Michigan's shore was moved. Here's a video of the feat, which I call the 8th wonder of the world!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgsnraJvqPo

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Lou, the video of the building move is remarkable. Thumbs Up

Looking at the calendar, I see Oct 11,12,13 as Tues, Wed and Thurs. I think these are logical dates to shoot for. I have not yet checked with the park on site availability.

Are there any problems with these dates for anyone? I will check on a site for me soon. The central 50 amp area we used last year was pretty good. Thumbs Up

Park website: https://www2.dnr.state.mi.us/p...5&type=SPCG#overview

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
Lou, the video of the building move is remarkable. Thumbs Up

Looking at the calendar, I see Oct 11,12,13 as Tues, Wed and Thurs. I think these are logical dates to shoot for. I have not yet checked with the park on site availability.

Are there any problems with these dates for anyone? I will check on a site for me soon. The central 50 amp area we used last year was pretty good. Thumbs Up

Park website: https://www2.dnr.state.mi.us/p...5&type=SPCG#overview

Sites 45,44,43,41 and 39 are pull-throughs. A lot of park attendees walk down and assemble here to watch the sun set. If at least one Barther reserves one of these sites, we will have a rallying point.

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The state will reserve sites up to six months ahead. I will check in mid April. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Reservations are now open for sites at Orchard Beach Park in October!

I will commit when we get home and I get summer plans in place.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, due to health issues (my 90 yr old Dad's heart) and a conflict for Liz we will not be able to attend this year.

This summer has been a complete bust for RV activity for us.

I will be working on the coach to finish the gauge installation, insulate the rear wall and install a rear window. Details soon: Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp