Proposal for a 2009 GTG
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carlflack:
Will the GTG in 2010 located 80 miles from Memphis
have Pull Throughs, 50 Amp Hook Ups, Clean Hot Showers, Dump Stations, etc.?? If this is the case, we'll be there. Good luck Mary.........

Carl and Mary,
Don't forget level paved parking pads, fire rings, picnic tables, cable tv, WiFi, free fire wood, and a hot tub would be nice.
Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
And not more than 5-10 dolla's a nite.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Report This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Sadly, Deerlick doesn't allow inside or outside fires (except propane/NG) after dark, due to the smoke affecting the visibility.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Report This Post
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Scratch the fire rings, but are we still good to go on the hot tub? Big Grin

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
Lee,
I have not been online for a while but appreciate your input as you are located in the D.C. area. My wife worked and lived there for 16 years before moving back home, so she is good for input also. Initial response sounds to me as if this might be a good idea. As I previously stated, what better place to hold a eastern region GTG than our nations capital. And, it looks from some of the responses so far that folks have not been there for some time or not at all. I think we should continue to persue this idea and need MORE INPUT FROM OTHER MEMBERS OF THIS GREAT WEBSITE.
My own opinion would be though dry camping is not out of the picture, full hook ups would be nice for those who might plan to stay longer than a weekend. Maybe we can gather a list of local campgrounds and follow up with them to pick the best available spot. But first we need to get a couple of prospective dates together.
A fall gathering seems to be good idea for many reasons. Obviously, there is the point of less people in D.C. because of the start of school (and I agree...those with kids should tell the teacher they won't be there because they are going to D.C.). My wife says that the weekends are usually not as crowded most of the time. Most importantly, traveling in the cooler weather allows those Barth's to run much cooler down the road. There is also less traffic out than during the summer months, so getting there is easier.
Just some more input from me. I would have no problem in helping put this together. Right now, WE NEED MORE INPUT!!!
Bruce

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Report This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
As to timing, I'd suggest late-Sept.- early-Oct.
Kids are in school so fewer family vacations, but too early in school year for school bus trips.
NY State is one of the last ones to start the school year. Our school year starts 2-3 days after Labor Day. Anyone else have a thought about this?

As for me, I like it. I don't think the wife and kids will protest too loudly if they don't go to school. Electrical hookups and showers close by will pretty much clinch the deal for our family. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Also, there's an under-utilized campground a little further out - nice wooded flat sites w/showers....can virtually guarantee it would be exclusive-use for Barth G-T-G....
What is the name of this campground and does it have a website?
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce & Kathleen:
Right now, WE NEED MORE INPUT!!!
To our good friends, from the great State of New Jersey, I concur and will second the motion. Yes, more input is needed.

We are talking about DC right? Big Grin

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Report This Post
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Rusty, when is the 2009 Peach state Star party scheduled?

I like the end of September for the DC GTG. Would also like full hookups as we will probably stay a week or longer.
Nick

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It's not published yet, but will be the week of the new moon in October.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, Bill, we are talking D.C.
And Lee, I also would like to know the name of the campground you refered to. Might be the one we need for a MAJOR BARTH GATHERING on the EAST COAST.
And for Rusty and Nick...The later part of Setember would be good. This way it does not interfere with a possible October star fest.
Bruce

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
A brief summary of DC area campgrounds can be found at:

http://www.title-3.com/DCCamping.htm

I concur with most of what they say........

The isolated campground I have in mind is within Watkins Regional Park, about 5 miles outside the Beltway and 20 minutes from a Metrorail station.
The park's website is at:

http://www.pgparks.com/places/parks/watkins.html

The park itself is heavily used, but the campground is not promoted and sees little use. We have an annual extended-family weekend there (5 tents, two pop-ups & one old Barth) and we've seldom seen more than 1-3 of the approximately 40 sites occupied. Acceptable showers, random water taps but no electric....Total shade by mature trees throughout....If I catch the right person in the right mood, probably little if any fees.

If "civilization" is the choice, then I'd certainly recommend Cherry Hill in College Park.....Ya just can't beat the amenities and convenience for doing the DC thing....Local transportation is a non-issue, with front door bus service, Grayline pick-up, shuttle to Metrorail, etc. Just keep in mind: About $60/day for 2 people, might need earplugs for sleeping next to the Beltway and if your neighbor has a slide-out, make sure it doesn't rub against your Barth Big Grin

Over the next few days, I'll get around to Greenbelt & Watkins to snap a few pics so you'll have a better lay of the land.......

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
posted Hide Post
Virginia has a lot of very nice state parks, but none are very close to the capital. If there is anything I can do to help let me know.
dougsgift(at)comcast.net
I am an hour west of the capital next the skyline drive a National Park, which is a very nice part of VA.
We are in Gettysburg PA now (in the SOB) which is another really great area of history, and not too far from Washington DC.

Doug Bywaters
Near Skyline Drive Virginia!

Posts: 101 | Location: Flint Hill VA | Member Since: 09-29-2006Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
No doubt about it...Virginia has some of the most premier state parks on the Eastern Seaboard. Unfortunately, none of them are close enough to make DC tourism convenient.

There's a couple of regional park campgrounds in northern VA, but since I'm with the MD-National Capital park system, I'm not familiar with them. (Guess I could be, if the group wants me to check them out.)

Went to Gettysburg last month....the new Visitor Center & Museum is worth the trip alone!

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Report This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
To add to Lee's post about no electric, I know this is nothing new but maybe something to think about. At Homestead speedway, they have a big gathering of Featherlite Prevosts in the campgrounds, usually about 18 to 20, and they rent a large very quiet diesel genset trailer to power all the coaches and the meal-gathering tent. This way they don't all have to run their own gennys, cutting down on the noise and air pollution. In my experience, most commercial rental outfits prefer to do their own delivery- set-up and pickup, so if one is sorta nearby it shouldn't make a big chore for anyone, and perhaps the cost would be offset by cheaper camping rates.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing that I believe everyone must keep in mind is that if we get enough interest in this GTG, we can negoiate with campgrounds, parks, tour operators, generator suppliers,caterers, liquor stores, etc... The key to keeping rates down is quantity of Barth's showing up!!! Fuel costs Frowner, well, that we cannot do anything about. But hopefully no matter where we decide to try to hold this, the excitement of this GTG being centrally located to most east coast owners will offset the idea of how much it costs and we will have a great turnout.
Another fact...the sooner we try to put something together, the better choices and negoiating power we will have.
The reason I like the D.C. idea is there is lots to do, especially for those who have not been there or have not been there for a while. Heck, even the zoo is great and I believe it is still free! Might want to check out that Capital KOA campground if they truely can provide shuttle service. At other KOA campgrounds, I have found they will negoiate with groups and they are usually pretty decent. This might be a good option if we decide on somewhere with full hook ups (or at least electric and water) and Cherry Hill Park is too much $$$'s or not comfortable for a Barth GTG.
But, I am not blind to another central location. Remember, I initially said that it seemed that Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland and Southern Pensylvania seemed to be centrally located areas according to our map. Need more input from others.
Bruce

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen

Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Recap of east coast members that have posted on this thread and shown interest:
  • Nick Cagle
  • Mary Ray
  • Sky
  • Bill N.Y.
  • Tom Johns
  • Lee
  • Bruce & Kathleen
  • Danny Z
  • Rusty
  • carlflack
  • Bywaters

That's 11 coaches just in the planning stage. I think we can make this happen.
Nick