Search
Notify
Tools
Proposal for a 2009 GTG
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Washington DC is my backyard (office & home are 7 miles from the Rose Garden). I also have tour docents on staff who know all the angles and can compress three days of normal sight-seeing into one.....(MetroRail w/ a subway-smart guide beats tour busses & just wandering hands-down...)

Cherry Hill Campground is an option, but usually mayhem and high $$. An option might be Greenbelt Park (no hook-ups, but close by water, showers, dump station, etc)

http://www.nps.gov/gree/planyourvisit/feesandreservations.htm

Also, there's an under-utilized campground a little further out - nice wooded flat sites w/showers....can virtually guarantee it would be exclusive-use for Barth G-T-G....

The regional park service (my employer) has fleet of mini-busses, so local transportation wouldn't be a problem......

If there's enough interest in a D.C. venue, I'd be willing to help pull it off.......

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
To Lee and Bruce,
I repeat, I like the idea of DC.
Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Report This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Threw this one at Suzy and it sounds good to us, depending,of course, on the price of gas and everything else a year from now. I haven't been to DC in about 40 years, and Suzy's never been, so it would really be a first time tour for both of us. Put us in the 70% bracket for now, and we'll see what happens.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Report This Post
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Danny, like you I have been to DC but it was a long time ago. I'm a Viet Nam vet and the wall wasn't there the last time I was in DC. Would love to visit it.

Lee, since you have the connections and experience with the Park service, when would you suggest the GTG be to stay away from as many of the crowds as possible. In other words what are the slowest months of the year for tourism.

Nick

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
DC doesn't sound bad at all; my last visits there were '79.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Report This Post
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Probably could not afford to drive the Barth to DC but bet I could fly and stay in cabin Big Grin

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
the wall wasn't there the last time I was in DC.

....That makes it over 26 years ago Nick....time for a re-visit!

As to timing, I'd suggest late-Sept.- early-Oct.
Kids are in school so fewer family vacations, but too early in school year for school bus trips. In reality, there's only about 4-5 DC attractions that have waiting-line problems, and since everybody gets there early to avoid the crowds, arriving there a little later usually avoids the large number of crowd-avoiders Click

More importantly, MD/DC weather is much more hospitable then...little or no a/c needed during the day and little or no heat needed at night. That makes dry camping much more tolerable and MUCH less expensive than the regular tourist-trap places . For Barthers with kids, I'd think the DC educational experience would justify playing hookey for a day or two.....

If this turns into a GO, I'd suggest that over this winter we get an idea of attendee's want-to-see sights so we can tailor a one day guided tour as a group thing, leaving the second day for on-yer-own sightseeing to re-visit sites or see special-interest places. By then, we'll all have a lay of the land, be subway experts and be able to maximize our time, with little time wasted standing on a street corner staring at a tourist map......

For me, I'd plan to be there, and I won't care how much fuel costs! Big Grin

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Report This Post
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Ray:
Probably could not afford to drive the Barth to DC but bet I could fly and stay in cabin Big Grin

Mary, you don't drive one from Memphis. You just buy one in Washington, DC. Fly over and drive it home. ROTFLMAO
Nick

Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Nick, been there, done that, got the shirt.

Hubby and I are going shopping in the next week or so for a house and some land about 80 miles from Memphis. He was born and grew up around Dyersburg, TN, and we are hoping to find something in that area. If we are successful then I would have room to park more Barths.

Mary

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Report This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Ray:
...some land about 80 miles from Memphis... If we are successful then I would have room to park more Barths.
I propose a Barth GTG in 2010... How about, 80 miles outside of the Memphis area? Big Grin

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Report This Post
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
You gotta deal, we just gotta buy the place first Big Grin we are looking at a house and 2 acres of land this weekend. How many Barth's can you get on 2 acres of land?

Mary

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'm in the process of buying a lot at Deerlick Astronomy Village; I met Nick Cagle for the first time there, up at Grier Field.

Figuring on Lot 23, the one nearest the pond (well, Maggie and Casey ARE retrievers).

Anyway, Grier Field has hookups for about 8 RVs, and a shower room and restrooms. 2011?

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Report This Post
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I'm in the process of buying a lot at Deerlick Astronomy Village; I met Nick Cagle for the first time there, up at Grier Field.

Figuring on Lot 23, the one nearest the pond (well, Maggie and Casey ARE retrievers).

Anyway, Grier Field has hookups for about 8 RVs, and a shower room and restrooms. 2011?

I think I could afford the fuel to attend that one. Big Grin
Nick

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Will the GTG in 2010 located 80 miles from Memphis
have Pull Throughs, 50 Amp Hook Ups, Clean Hot Showers, Dump Stations, etc.?? If this is the case, we'll be there. Good luck Mary.........

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Report This Post
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Carl, probably not Frowner, Rusty's deal sounds a lot better to me Wink.

Mary