Tools
Reply To This Topic

Florida GTG 2020
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
The 2019 GTG was a small but fun one. We've seen in the past that attendance can vary greatly from year to year so I don't give up. The dates for 2020 are either December 4-5-6, or December 11-12-13. Any input regarding these 2 weekends?

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
With the way this crazy year went I screwed up and never got around to setting up this years GTG, and Hillsborough is booked solid. There are still quite a few sites available at Lake Manatee State Park. It's a bit more rustic but we stay there a lot. The sites are separated by empty spaces and are pretty large. I'm looking at sites 55 56 57 etc. The park is about 40 miles south of Hillsborough about 8 miles off 75. If anyone is interested I'll post reservation info. See above post for dates, but I'm leaning toward 11 12 13.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I was talking to the reservation manager at one of our local campgrounds and what they are seeing is people book sites months ahead, and then cancel at the last minute if they change their mind. The results, according to the person I talk to, is that they are never full, except for some weekends, especially holidays. If it were me, since I'm not very nice, I'd have a cancellation policy that would make it costly to do that.
Jim aka Hum

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Florida uses Reserve America, and cancellations cost more than most folks want to throw away. There are always empty sites even when they say they are sold out, and drive ups are normally available, but with the present circumstances I wouldn't count on that.

79 Barth Classic

Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Update, I just checked the schedule for Bradenton Dragway and the Snowbirds are the weekend of Dec 4-6 so that's when we'll be at Lake Manatee, which is about a mile from the track.

79 Barth Classic

Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
Florida uses Reserve America, and cancellations cost more than most folks want to throw away. There are always empty sites even when they say they are sold out, and drive ups are normally available, but with the present circumstances I wouldn't count on that.

If we were closer, we'd be there for sure. We would just wait until a week or so before the event and get our site. Little bit harder when you have to drive 600 miles. Oh, wait--we don't even have a motor home ROTFLMAO
Jim aka Hum

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
FYI I got a call from Bill Moolenar in Florida. He will be at Lake Manatee for the weekend. He has a site reserved, not sure which one.

Liz and I will still be in Michigan on that weekend. It will be a good time I am sure, but we will not be in Florida for another wek or so.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5180 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good morning Danny hope you Suzzie & Sammie are well , is there much virus in Venice? Anne & I will not be making the trip this year you may or not know the US CDN border is closed we envy our american friends in the cold northern states that simply pack up their motor homes & drive south till it gets warm. Good luck with the GTG Paul Finley Fenelon Falls & Cedar Key

Posts: 87 | Location: fenelon falls ont. | Member Since: 06-27-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Good to hear from you Paul. We're all fine here but it doesn't look like much of a GTG this year. Our area is relatively safe but as the virus spreads who knows for how long? Lots of people coming down from up north and lots of idiots refusing to wear masks will surely bump up the cases and deaths. Sammi is as wonderful as ever, a tad overweight at 54 lbs., but very healthy. Hopefully something will change by next year and we can get back to a real GTG.

79 Barth Classic

Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I think we should cancel 2020.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B