Tools
Reply To This Topic

2012 Suggestions
 Login now/Join our community

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
By the nature of schedules, finances, weather and convenience, GTGs are always going to be regional and will likely need a sponsor to be successful as an ongoing event. The question is, what is regional?

I think all the GTGs I've been to started as something small that people enjoyed enough to go to again. When I think of the Hillsborough GTG, I think of Danny & Suzy, Mass - Bill, DC - Lee.

There is also an option of tagging along with some other larger event. FMCA and Good Sam for instance have regional events that are quite huge by our standards. The problems are higher costs and less intimacy.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Here is a good one outside of Asheville, it is a small campground but has some excellent views. This would be close to Biltmore house and Smokey Mtn. National Park and just a few mile from the elk herd in the mountains and Dolly Wood and Gatlingburg areas. Give me feedback and interest and time. Ray

Mountain Camp

Biltmore House

This campground is where we had the GT a couple of years ago and had about 20. And I think every one enjoyed the time together.
Raccoom Mtn Chattanooga

Smokey Mtn. Elk

What about Sept 2011 or May 2012? If we do either one, i will go to the campgrounds and try to get a block together. I know Raccon Mtn will give a discount, and we can stil have the go cart racing!!!

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They look like great places. I'm game for late Sept. Might catch some Barth snowbirds then and well spaced so not to compete with other gatherings that I'm aware of.

Since Rusty is usually a guarantee, might want to schedule around his star parties.

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
We did the Brooksville FMCA rally about 6 years ago but no way would I want to be there with the Barth. Too crowded and congested.
We had a great day, drove up in the toad but stayed at a campground down near Hudson.
Just my $.02, but that was a great way to do it
quote:
Originally posted by Moonbeam-Express:

There is also an option of tagging along with some other larger event. FMCA and Good Sam for instance have regional events that are quite huge by our standards. The problems are higher costs and less intimacy.

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'm with Don on Brooksville - it's close enough so I daytrip it, but it's a zoo...and FMCA has a different approach to GTGs (OK, "Rallies") that is far more frenetic than the Barth GTGs.

I've been to Hillsborough (4X), MA (2X), DC, Goshen/Milford, Chattanooga, and the Memorial Day at UBRVRAPE (2X), and all were relaxing gatherings of congenial folks (who can also cook!).

I think probably what separates Barth GTGs from others, no matter where, is this forum. FMCA and Good Sams are so big there are no personal connections.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
I have always wanted to go here:
http://www.camphatteras.com/
Wouldn't mind a GTG planned here sometime in the future.
This year we are booked for what we can get away from work for unless it is REAL close by on a weekend we have nothing planned. All of our plans, because of decreased income and fuel prices, are within 200 miles.

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Biltmore House

I'm with Ray.....Asheville area is tops!

PS: If ya ever do the Biltmore gig, try the 4 hour Segway tour...lots of little-seen areas, plus an
end-of-tour Segway Gymkhana that's a hoot!

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Donna and I are already scheduled to be at Asheville's Bear Creek RV Park & Campground October 20-23, 2011.

Anybody want to join us and make it a GTG.

Nick & Donna

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
Wish we could join you Nick, but economics, fuel prices and trying to keep our jobs are going to prevent it this year.... Frowner

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Donna and I are already scheduled to be at Asheville's Bear Creek RV Park & Campground October 20-23, 2011.

Anybody want to join us and make it a GTG.

It's still a little too early to commit, but don't be surprised if we join you. Sounds like a great place to be just about then.

Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Only if you take a side trip to DuPont State Park to see the waterfalls. Biltmore roof top tour is good will do the basement tour next time we go to see more of the building, and see what the grounds look like in the fall.

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of StinkyDaddy
posted Hide Post
We'll very likely be there.

Bill & Sherrie
'65 Barth Travel Trailer (built in '64)
B1-174-24
'66 Barth Travel Trailer
D11-412-24
www.WilliamMitchellStudios.com

Posts: 549 | Location: Southern Virginia | Member Since: 09-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of StinkyDaddy
posted Hide Post
We would also be up for an Outer Banks GTG. Next time we go down we'll check out Camp Hatteras. If we timed a GTG when the yellowfin are running we could do a fishing trip too.

Bill & Sherrie
'65 Barth Travel Trailer (built in '64)
B1-174-24
'66 Barth Travel Trailer
D11-412-24
www.WilliamMitchellStudios.com

Posts: 549 | Location: Southern Virginia | Member Since: 09-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Outer banks is great for me. I am going out there for a month in the middle of oct this year if everything works out. I have reservations at Ocean Waves Campground next door to Camp Hatteras. The rates are half price of CH. Last year we stayed there for 10 days, Took the top off the jeep and cruised the beaches, went to see the wild horses and such. This is a very nice campground and good people that own it. Ocean Waves has about 60 campsites and CH has about 300 or so. The rates at OW was about $38 per night with cable and the one time we stayed at Ch, it was about $85 per night. Ray

Ocean Waves

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
We would go to Asheville if it was not for the above schedule. There is a forestry service campground on the ocoee river with campsites right on the river next to where the olympics were done about ten years ago with a nice rushing water for $6 per day for park pass holders. But it does not have hook ups. Just one site has water and electric other than the host site. Camping in Asheville, this is the place to camp in the fall. On the outer banks and fall camping in nc, you better have reservations way in advance or any where around the beaches or the mountains. Ray

Fall NC Camping

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle