Tools
Reply To This Topic

Hillsborough River GTG, Fl. 2013
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Glad everyone is home safe (Jim and Barb were headed to Myakka River SP).

Little Nelson is much improved; he had a quiet night and the bleeding has stopped. Smiler

Now I need the rain to stop so I can clean up the coach from the rest of Nelson's "accidents"... Razzer

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of StinkyDaddy
posted Hide Post
Here's a little peak of the drive into the park.

The open firepit site beside Danny.

Danny's Euro

Jim and Barb's Regency

Deb and Ed's coach with Ed and Rusty

This is what Wayne and BJ replaced the Barth with

DougZ's Airstream with Doug talking to Lenny while smoking a pork butt.

Lenny and Judy's Regency

Steve VW and his Regal

Rusty's Breakaway

Our Trailer with Sherrie holding down the fort

Here's the team photo after dinner Sat. night

Barb getting a little out of hand celebrating their 50th Anniversary. Congrats!

Bill & Sherrie
'65 Barth Travel Trailer (built in '64)
B1-174-24
'66 Barth Travel Trailer
D11-412-24
www.WilliamMitchellStudios.com

Posts: 549 | Location: Southern Virginia | Member Since: 09-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 01/08
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
Great pictures.

Thanks
Deb & Ed.

Posts: 357 | Location: Ortona- Turkey Creek Florida | Member Since: 10-04-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Super pics. I finally got to see the faces of those folks I never got to meet personally. Maybe someday in the future we'll cross trails again....

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Many thanks to all at the GTG for all the fun.
Thanks to Dan for starting this event, thanks to Bill for the pictures, a special thanks to ED & Deb, and thanks to all for the toast of wine on our 50th wed. celebration. Smiler

We departed Monday at 11:38am for Myakka SP for a five day stay. Weather great, traffic light and driving good.
At 1:00pm turned onto to exit 205 and at 1:10pm we are on Clark road at the first stop light. Eight miles to go and we will be at Myakka SP, the light says go and yet we don't.
OH NO! Upon checking found the left U-joint tube to the axle snapped in half. My thoughts refect back Ed at the GTG when he said it is always better to replace both sides if one side had broken, need I say more.
We call Good Sams towing service, and call the Sheriffs office that we are blocking one lane.
I quickly detach the Jeep and put out my three warning triangles and the Sarasota traffic unit pulls up.
Now 2:48pm and no info from Good Sams.
Now 3:38pm still no tow truck. Talked to Good Sams--look I need a tow truck, she says she may have a provider that can repair your motorhome in Bradenton(I live south of Sarasota. Bradenton is north). For the third or forth time I tell her it cannot be repaired overnight or even in the next week. I need a tow truck to take it to my service center.
She then says well after 47 miles you will have to pay $6 a mile. I tell her again -send me a tow truck. ((I'll have to be honest- I had never had a problem with them before))
Now 4:32pm Sheriff's Office is asking when is the tow truck coming and I tell them I have been on the phone and the girl is getting one.
I called Good Sams again and talked to customer service to have them check on who's coming and he advises, she hasn't found one yet. I tell them to cancell and made contact with Promt Towing in Charlotte County, time is now 4:57pm.
At 7:00pm Prompt Towing arrives and by the time he had to remove the broken parts, then detach the drive shaft and hook up it is now 10:00pm.
Now 11:00pm and we have parked at my service center.
Now 12:00 Midnight and we are home after unloading the frig. and some items from the Barth.

I forgot one thing- about 1:15pm I called Myakka SP and said while I am on Clark road only eight miles away I need to cancell-

It's not the destination- it's the journey and memories made. and Barb sezs YEAH RIGHT! & Champ agrees. Roll Eyes

Addition to the above:
This new year is looking good. This week the parts came in for the Regency and it is fixed & ready to be picked up.
Another very great thing happened, Good Sams Road Service called me the other day and said they are sending me a check to cover my tow bill. WOW! Thumbs Up what a pleasent surprise. The gentleman that talked to me was so courteous and understood how frustrated I must have been at the time.

Jim & Barb

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 01/08
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
Jim:

Glad you got home safe.

Sorry to hear about your trouble cause I've been there and done that. Good luck with the repair.

ED.

Posts: 357 | Location: Ortona- Turkey Creek Florida | Member Since: 10-04-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Ed, like you said I should have replaced both at the same time.

Barb did get some great photos of the canoe trip.
I will be emailing Rusty with one of the pictures to see if Barb sized it correctly. If it is good I think she has 6 photos to add.

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Just got back to downstate Mi. 2350 miles round trip, still have to get back to Kalkaska. Tooling Along

An awesome trip! Left here in the 20's, we had 80's in Florida, here tonight it is 18 degrees! head bang

Saturday evening: a fine meal

a fine group

we were all friends until after the gift exchange... ROTFLMAO

Great place, great times, great people. It was worth the drive.

As usual, some fiddling was involved... mechanic
On the way south, in Kentucky, the "check engine" light for the fuel injection went on. Hmm... O2 sensor is fouled. Swapped in new sensor (5 min job) Still too rich so I put in the smaller fuel injectors I had. (1/2 hour job) Now too lean with Chip #2 but I reinstalled the original chip #1 (10 min) and hit the jack pot. Fuel injection is now tweaked in perfectly. (I even get 7 mpg now and then!) confusion

Ran the rest of the way south, no trouble. Decided now that the fuel mixture is correct, put in the new plugs. (confessions: managed to swap #5 and #7 wires, didn't notice till we left the park) head bang
Mon morning, we pulled over, swapped wires back, running good.

Tues: Old reliable left side Thorley header develops a cracked weld... stopped for lunch, had some soup, used soup can and two clamps to cover the crack. Made it home OK!

After our usual 4 hour delay getting through traffic backups in Georgia (both ways!), it was too late to get to Tom and Nancy's place so we took our cracked pipes and rolled on to central Kentucky.

Wed: no problems, just snow and cold. Obligatory salt bath in Ohio...

I can't blame you guys... you told me not to come back. head bang

Thanks to all who made it, we enjoyed meeting everyone. Thanks Danny, for the tradition (hope we're not kicked out by the other Mi people!), Suzy for the excellent breakfast, thanks Deb and Ed for the great seafood! cheers Thumbs Up

Great time!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tues: Old reliable left side Thorley header develops a cracked weld... stopped for lunch, had some soup, used soup can and two clamps to cover the crack. Made it home OK!

That epitomizes guys like you, Steve -- remarkable!

glad you made it safely back to join your COLD fellow Wolverines (single digits tonight).

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
posted Hide Post
Glad everyone Made it home safe, Sorry about the problems. It was great to be at the GTG, now I have to see if Rusty drums us out of the site lol.
Wayne and BJ and the "Barth" Itasca Solei.

Posts: 189 | Location: South Daytona Fl | Member Since: 07-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
place so we took our cracked pipes and rolled on to central Kentucky.

......better than nono "crack pipes"

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
First I am glad everyone made it home safely and Nelson is feeling better. Bloody diarrea is serious, we lost our little Schnauzer Valerie at age of 10 to hemorragic gastroenteritis (within 48 hours and Vet treatment).
Jim and Barb, we sure feel with you. We have Coach Net Road Service and when we broke down due to a fuel sensor on our CAT in the gorge on I40 in NC (on the V split of an exit ramp in the dark and 20sF) we got the silliest girl on the phone you can imagine. She giggled like it was funny, finally managed to send a Road Samaritan truck with blinking lights out there, but it took her hours to find a tow truck. There were two tow truck going right by. She asked me if I knew a towing company. And all was accompanied by laughing and giggling.

I believe they try to trick you into calling your own tow truck. $4/mi is about the going rate. We held out and finally got a truck to tow us to a motel (!!!!) because they cannot drop the MH after hours at a repair facility. The next morning they came back and towed us the rest of the way (1 mile LOL) up the hill to the Kenworth dealer ship in Asheville NC.

We complained about the bad treatment, you sure do not need a silly laughing girl on the phone. And hours (approx. 4 hrs until a truck was found - he said he was not doing anything earlier ....).
We used them two times before (once with Barth, one time with our private pickup and had absolutely no problem).

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Barb's Pix

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post