Forums    Barth Rallies and Get Togethers    2009 Nation's Capital Barthmobile G-T-G Poll !!
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Poll Closed
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
2009 Nation's Capital Barthmobile G-T-G Poll !!
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted
You are invited to join other Barthmobilers at the Nation's Capital G-T-G !!

When: Fri-Mon, October 9-12, 2009

Where: Cherry Hill Campground
College Park MD (I-95 & I-495 North)
7 miles from the National Mall

Full hook-ups/local transportation/guided tours !

Question:
What say you all?

Choices:
Yep - on the calendar in INK
Kinda Yep - on the calendar in PENCIL
MAYBE - Gotta think about it
Nope - Wrong location and/or dates
Nope - Wrong _______________

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Report This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Lee, the only thing keeping us from inking this in is the time factor. IF everything goes even half way right between now and then, and IF gas isn't 8 bucks a gallon, and IF the Euro keeps humming along like a true Barth, we're in!

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Report This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Not to worry Danny....Congress is in session right now and working hard to fix all the problems that "us guys" created...... Mad

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
I'm in for the fun and festivities! ROTFLMAO Come on folks---this should be the largest rally of Barthmobilers to date! Sometimes you have to overlook the negatives and feast on the positives. This is one of those times. How many times do you think you'll be able to meet lots of fellow owners/families and see 20+ Barths (should be the minimum that show) in a great setting like our nations capital? And for those like me that still have those pending questions about our Barth Roll Eyes...this would be the place to get those answers in person Big Grin!!! Let's make this a great get together.
Bruce

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
posted Hide Post
I will make myself available to assist in the 09 Washington gathering since we are about an hour from the campground.

Virginia, Maryland and PA have numerous places to visit on the way to and from Washington DC.

On the way back from Chattanooga we found a wonderful state park located a few miles inside of TN for $20 a night! We stayed until noon the next day just walking the trails and admiring the beautiful Holston River.

We plan on making it next year, and hopefully in our Barth!

Doug, Athena and Mary Frances

Doug Bywaters
Near Skyline Drive Virginia!

Posts: 101 | Location: Flint Hill VA | Member Since: 09-29-2006Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I think we should all celebrate before we are arrested for NOT paying our increased taxes due to our government increasing our taxes to bail out Wall Street for their unbelievable greed. I thought that when you were caught with your hand in the cookie jar one person was disiplined not the immediate family, the extended family, neighbors, city, county, state & country too. (maybe we could be gypsies & just travel the country together trying to escape capture) I think it's time to make a stand. Any takers?
Tere (hey doug, athena, mary francis)

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Report This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Wow!....We've had a poll up for only 48 hours, for an event 13 months away, and we already have 4 coaches COMMITTED to attending, 5 PLANNING on coming and 2 more THINKING about it. With a very early, preliminary potential of 11 units, it looks like we've got us a G-T-G in the works Click

Since it's in my backyard, I'd be happy to serve as lead contact and help anyway I can if that's the group's wishes... And THANKS to Nick, Bruce & Doug for stepping up to the plate to help pull this off. This could end up a Dine-O-Mite Event!

Over the next few days, I'll stop by Cherry Hill, snap some pics of the proposed G-T-G site and post them here. Hopefully, we'll be able to have an area in the rear, furthest from the Interstates.

I've already approached a friend who owns a tour bus company...Since October is a slack time for him, we may have access to a limo-bus to allow for our own initial 3-4 hr whirlwind tour of DC, allowing folks to get a lay of the land and better plan their own personal itineraries later.
(Sounds like driver tip & some diesel fuel will make it happen.....)

Another aquaintance, located in north central Indiana, is going to make some local inquiries in the Milford area.....I think it would be a Hoot to have a campfire chat with some former employees of Barth during the Golden Years of production. Group thoughts?...........

While I don't fully understand the apparant chasm that exists between us & the Barth Rangers, this seems like a good opportunity for a possible joint venture.....Again, your thoughts?

SIDEBAR: While interest in the G-T-G is encouraging, 4 folks so far have said "NO". We should be interested in their reasons....At this early stage, maybe we can alter the plans enough to accommodate them too...So, if ya said you're not coming, please let us know what it would take!

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Lee, don't know if it is one of the no's or not but BillyT has a RV show the first weekend in October. Rusty is waiting til this weekend at the Peach State Star Party to see the dates for next year. That's two you could probably count on if the schedule is right.

I have not answered the poll but we will be there. Count on it.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
It would not be possible for me to attend until after the 10th of the month, that makes the first available weekend for me Oct. 16-19. I understand that you can't please all and if I don't get to come that will be alright, but I am sure a lot of fun to be around and I don't think you would want to miss it ROTFLMAO

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
posted Hide Post
I am ok with a date change to the 10th. I think the preview tour of our Capital is a great idea, it will quickly diminish the thought of someone attempting a ride to the mall via Barth...I am sure there is parking someplace, but I have no idea where.

If there is anyone intested in flying to Dulles I can provide a ride between the campground and the air port. Mary recently did this and it works out pretty well.

The later in October we make it the cooler and more colorful it will be, and that is not a bad thing!

Doug Bywaters
Near Skyline Drive Virginia!

Posts: 101 | Location: Flint Hill VA | Member Since: 09-29-2006Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
Lee---On the other discussion board about this GTG, I suggested a September or October weekend date. Seems that October is the right month Smiler and maybe we should throw the two weekends (2nd-4th and 16th-18th) out there to see which one will draw more participation. I, myself, can make either weekend but cannot make the 9th thru 11th.
Doug and others---Check out the website for Cherry Hill Park. Along with Lee's possible transportation for a quick tour, there is transportation available right at the front gate throughout your time there. That is one of my +++'s for this park as a spot for our GTG...no need to tow alternate transportation behind you---JUST BRING THAT BARTH (and get better gas milage)!
To All---My 2 cents worth: I am willing to help anyway needed to insure as many Barth's as possible show up for this GTG. Personally, it does not matter to me whether they belong to the Barth Rangers. It seems to me that we have a few fellow Barthmobilers that are also Barth Rangers. Most importantly, they own a Barth!
Last, but not Least---There has been 370 views of this discussion, yet only 9 replies to the original "poll" discussion started by Lee. We are trying to put this together as quickly as possible so that you have plenty of time to make plans for next year. As I have said in the past IN REGARDS TO this GTG, WE NEED YOUR INPUT AND OPINION!!! Soooo, stop just reading about this and start leaving some replies and opinions, even if you can't make it!
Bruce

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Report This Post
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
The October 16th-18th would work for me, can't take off work on the 2nd-4th.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Report This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
While I don't fully understand the apparant chasm that exists between us & the Barth Rangers, this seems like a good opportunity for a possible joint venture.....Again, your thoughts?
I have no problems with any Barth Ranger or Barth club attending this event... We had a few Rangers at the Choo-Choo GTG. As the footer on every page states.
quote:
This website is dedicated to the Barth Custom Coach, their owners and those who admire this American made, quality crafted, motor coach. We are committed to the history, preservation and restoration of the Barth Custom Coach.
Nowhere does it say that we'll exclude anyone! All are welcomed to attend.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Report This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
New Moons in 2009 are 9/18 and 10/18; Full Moons are 9/4 and 10/4, so 10/2-5/09 are likely won't conflict with the Peach State Star Gaze. But it would, for me, mean an extra 510 miles - 1570 miles then a ten days later, 665 miles. If one followed the other, it would be legs of 785 miles, then 608, then 333.

I'll confirm tomorrow, but the PSSG will likely be 10/16-25/09; if so, I'll have to pass on GTG 2009.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Report This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Good input!.....So, here's what I've deduced so far......

1. There's enough preliminary interest in a 2009 Wash. DC G-T-G to set serious plans in motion - it's no longer a question of IF but of WHEN. Having 10-12 coaches giving serious thought this early could easily increase two-fold or more over the next 13 months......

2. Cherry Hill Campground is an acceptable venue.
Full hookups, dedicated rally site, front door transportation, easy access to Interstate and numerous campground amenities would seem to out-weigh the density & noise issues. 60 bucks-plus per night isn't fun, but that's just part of the "Washington experience".......

3. I was premature in arbitrarily setting a date of October 2 thru 5, 2009. Some/most who could come on those dates could also make it for an Oct.16-19, timeframe, but not vice-versa.

4. MD/DC weather in October can range from Tee shirts to parkas...but bumping back two weeks shouldn't be a deal-killer - I'd guess sweatshirts, sweaters & light jackets would be the worst-case scenario....and as Doug mentioned, the fall colors at the later date may be a bonus for those coming in over the mountains.

5. Trying to get the stars & planets to line-up correctly for a DC G-T-G is above my pay grade....Worst case - choices may have to be made.
(Sept. dates are still an option - maybe we want to revisit that timeframe?)

6. As a Barth Ranger non-member, I can't access the innards of their site. When a date is finalized, maybe a Ranger here could take the ball regarding promo, hype & coordination with them......

Obviously, an event 13 months away will have a ton of unknowns right now - the economy, fuel prices, lifestyle changes. etc....and that's OK.
But I think a firm date for the G-T-G is probably the first order of business.

So, how do we want to handle this?....Forum responses with someone keeping a tally?.....Another poll?.....the Moderator as Dictator-for-a-Day?.....Coin Toss?......Whatever we do, it should have a finite life so that once we reach the deadline, a final decision is made, cast in stone, and everyone adjusts to it........

Just my thoughts - Yours are more important.....