Forums    Barth Rallies and Get Togethers    Finally, a GTG potential in Good Ol' Allegan, MI
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Finally, a GTG potential in Good Ol' Allegan, MI
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/17
Picture of Lou
posted
Could this be a viable substitute for the Milford GTG this year?

Wouldn't it be something!

Any takers?

http://us2.campaign-archive1.c...e0182c3&e=df7e9ffe41

Lou

Posts: 467 | Location: Allegan, MI. | Member Since: 08-14-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Lou We love the weekend flea market at fair grounds. It's not Van Buren State Park where we had the first Midwest GTG but I can stop for Shermans ice cream in South Haven. Smiler hide

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
Hi, Sloop! It's been awhile.

I'm going over to the Fairgrounds tomorrow to see what's up as to the number of spaces they have available.

$22.50/night is a good price, but I understand there will be a limit on using air conditioners, and that's during the hottest part of the season. Not sure about gensets, etc., but I'll find out.

Lou

Posts: 467 | Location: Allegan, MI. | Member Since: 08-14-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
That'll be really helpful, as the fairground website reveals nothing about the RV park.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
Perhaps it occurs to you I didn't make it over to the Fairgrounds Thursday or Friday. I'll do so on Monday; honest injun.

I can tell you this much so far: The Allegan County Fair is rated one of the best in all of Michigan, but I can tell you their hookups are somewhat disorganized and spread over the entire grounds. It sounds like the best they do is 30amps (or else why would there be a limitation on air conditioners). As for the layout and # of available sites, hopefully I can get that on Monday.

I'm not even sure who to deal with at this point: The Fairgrounds or Good Sam, to whom I sent a note about 3 days ago and have not yet back from.

FWIW, the location is great, the surrounding area is replete with woods, fishing holes and Lake Michigan within 20 miles. Barb and I live about a mile from the fairgrounds and could accommodate one or two early arrivals (with hookups at our home) with sufficient notice.

Look for another post on Monday.

Lou

Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted Hide Post
Lou, not sure if I missed it but what dates are we looking at. We are very interested.

1990 32' Regency, Wide Body
Spartan Chassis, 8.3 CTA Cummins
4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Posts: 356 | Location: Missouri | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
Dates for this Good Sam Club Military Appreciation Event are July 14th-17th. The following link gives a bit more information, but don't get distracted by the dates for the Fair, which are in September.

I'll have more information Monday.

Lou

http://us2.campaign-archive1.c...e0182c3&e=df7e9ffe41

Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Lou. I am retired Army. Appreciation for the Military is always good.

1990 32' Regency, Wide Body
Spartan Chassis, 8.3 CTA Cummins
4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Posts: 356 | Location: Missouri | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
To Fred and all other Barth owners who are either active or retired military: Thanks for your service!

Just got back from a short trip to the Allegan County Fairgrounds. Here's the latest scoop:

I spoke with Saree Miller in person (Saree is Executive Director of the Allegan County Fair), and by phone with Sharon Harden, who is president of the local chapter of the Good Sam RV Group. Both were excited that we might have a representation of Barth owners at the July 14-17th event. In fact, Sharon got right on the Barthmobile.com site as we spoke on the phone in order to see what we're all about.

Some details from our conversations:

Barth owners need not be members of the Good Sam Club. In fact, they need not be active or retired military, (but if they are, they will be especially honored). All are welcome.

Saree mentioned that over the last 4 years the Fairgrounds has received matching grants to upgrade their RV hookups.

Electric includes 50amp service at most sites. They will have more than 100 50amp cites when finished. New water lines where needed are being installed (water is provided by the City of Allegan whose water quality is excellent and award-winning).

I'm attaching a map of the Fairgrounds. Please note that it does not show campsites. The numbers in small yellow circles depict points of interest within the Fairgrounds.

There is a good chance that most RVs will wind up in shaded sites, but of course there is no guarantee.

I'll have a lot more to add to these posts as time goes on. I can promise you that, in general, you will be in a beautiful location with plenty to do in the Fairgrounds and beyond. (I didn't move to Allegan just to run an airport!)

There is a dump site on premises for all RVs that camp here.

Sharon mentioned that we need not register right away. She will make sure we have the number of sites we need. I will reserve a number of sites initially, as soon as I get an indication of how many Barths (or SOBs) we need. We should be able to park together when we know. Specific sites aren't being assigned as yet.

If you think you can make this neat event, please respond to this post. (Perhaps Rusty can move it to a more suitable location.)

Lou

>> Map Of Allegan County Fairgrounds <<

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Liz and I would like to attend! Thumbs Up

It would be good to see everyone again. cheers

Have Barth, will travel Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5166 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Sign me up coach I am ready to play. I may need to change my mileage as it is 135 miles from home. Tooling Along cheers

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
It would be good to see everyone again.
Yes, Steve. We are overdue! Sloop: I have no control over the brand of ice cream at the "Ice Cream Social." You (and Sherman's) just might get lucky.

BTW, Barb and I will donate use of our kayaks to any Barth member who applies. We have a short route planned out and will furnish delivery and pickup of you and all the necessary aquatic utensils - kayaks, paddles, life preservers, Oberon, etc.. The route has calm waters. About a 30-minute float, unless you want to further explore Lake Allegan. Fun.

I'm going to ask for 10 unspecified places for now. That could expand, of course. Sharon indicates that she will take good care of us. If you register through their Good Sam announcement, mention that you are part of the "Barth Group." (You can simply let me know and I will accumulate a list of Barth owners who are coming, and she will help us with the formal registration stuff later.)

Just for Kenny Jorgensen in case he sees this and can swing it: I can help with the Mackinac Bridge transition!

Starting to get exciting,

Lou

Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
July 14-17th: Allegan County Fairgrounds

The confirmed list so far:

1. Steve & Liz
2. Sloop John B

I'm reserving 10 sites and will ask for more if needed.

BTW: I had started off saying something about limits on usage of air conditioners and sites being all over the place & disorganized. That's because they do a lot of different venues, including some of the top entertainment groups in the Country, and have to have hookups all over the place. I take it back: Saree Miller and staff have done a lot of good by establishing 50 amp service in a large number of their RV sites, and we will more than likely be able to be all together and able to run our air conditioners!

Lou

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/16
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
Oh man. I so much want to meet my fellow Barthers. But dang, 2200 miles is a long way to go. Let me run it by the wifey.

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My Barth ha been a "hangar queen" for several weeks, but it should be done by next week. Once it's ready, I'll be able to commit.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post