Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
MI - 1977 Barth 27' For Sale
 Login now/Join our community

posted
We bought this last fall with the intention of refurbishing it, but an impending move will make this much more difficult so we are selling it.

We are asking exactly what we have into it, which is $2,800. We paid $2500 and replaced the alternator, and two batteries.

It's a 454 gas engine. What we know about it is this: It has approx 38K miles on it. It needs a water heater and a new black water tank. We believe it might need a new flywheel/flexplate. Not an expensive part to replace if you do it yourself. Otherwise we understand it's several hundred dollars.

Starts right up and drives smooth.

It has fallen into a state of cosmetic disrepair through neglect, but it's a Barth so it's worth refurbishing.

We're located just outside of Battle Creek, MI

We got a good deal and now you can too. Please call xxx-xxx-xxxx

Posts: 10 | Location: Midwest/Michigan | Member Since: 11-11-2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
This Barth is NO LONGER for sale!

Sorry, can't do it Smiler We had a couple of current and former Barth owners drop by to take a look and they didn't do a very good job of talking us into selling. As they said, it has "good bones". Plus the Mrs was all over me to keep it ha ha.

So now, just waiting (along with everyone else in the Midwest) for a couple of warm sunny days to re-seal the roof. In the interim, I have started emptying the interior out - removing cabinets, etc for the re-furbish.

I'll keep you posted!!

Posts: 10 | Location: Midwest/Michigan | Member Since: 11-11-2010Report This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
We had a couple of current and former Barth owners drop by to take a look and they didn't do a very good job of talking us into selling. As they said, it has "good bones". Plus the Mrs was all over me to keep it ha ha.

From your earlier description, this makes complete sense to me, that is what you previously described - good bones with numerous cosmetic and mechanical issues.

Barths are almost always worth saving, but those of us that have owned RVs for a long time know that even fairly new ones require constant attention, a fair amount of maintenance and endless patience (and money!).

You should establish in your mind "what" you want as a finished product. Choices range all over - maybe a functional party wagon, could be a fully restored beauty, or perhaps a complete refit with modern upgrades.

As the joke goes about writing a book, the beginning is a good place to start. By this I mean, do the things that need doing no matter which direction you eventually head (roof leaks, flywheel, tires, wiring, hoses, belts, etc.).

Now for a lesson from cold hard experience! We have all watched numerous people pour tons of love and money into their vintage Barths just to trade them, abandon them, or sell them at a great loss. The thrill ran out! Understand that his will not be a profitable venture - period! All your sweat equity and half of what you invest will evaporate. You need to do this for the experience and fun you will gain. Still interested?

If no, sell it now!!! hmm

If yes, you will get tons of support here, meet great people, have something that you will be proud of, have people walk up to you at gas stations to tell you their Barth stories from the past, spend endless hours with dirt in your eyes, more endless hours researching on-line, and priceless moments on the road.

Look back at what Danny Z or Lee have done with their vintage Barths for inspiration. Ask them if it was easy or inexpensive or painless.

Best of luck no matter which path you take.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Report This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I totally agree. These things are very cool but will need attention. I just bought my 86 from relatives who maintained it well until 2 years ago and decided they couldn't keep it. (They bought a 40 ft Zanzibar) Even though it was in good shape for its age, these are the changes for the last 6 weeks:

Barth service

March/April 2011

Inspect tag axle, rear brake lines
replace 2 tires 8.00 x R19.5
repack 1 outer bearing, right side (grease cap is broken)
replace 2 shocks (original Monroe 36080 not avail.) Monroe 555003 new part #
replace 2 air springs: Goodyear 1R9-038
clean/lube air spring control valves
lube air bag compressor, check belt, remount
replace front coil air bags (Firestone 4100 series) inflate 60 psi
inflate 9 tires to 90 psi

replace slats in 2 blinds
remove bedroom folding door, install in place of broken hall door
remove curtains
service 2 roof AC: clean filters, vacuum ducts, paint covers, tighten louvers

clean/inspect water heater
remount water filter spigot
inspect frig, lube hinges
refinish "stainless steel" range vent hood
lube storage door locks, latches, hinges
replace latch strike on screen door

remove driver wiper motor, replaced 2 missing bolts, grease and replace
replace wiper blades (20")

reconnect resistor block for blower motor low speeds
rewire all headlamps: new power wire, 2 relays, new headlight connectors
rewire front turn signals and reconnect chassis lights
rewire turn signal lights on mirrors
lace front chassis wiring harnesses
reconnect tail wire (brown)
check trailer connector OK

remove engine AC compressor, condenser, drier, lines, brackets, etc
remount electric fans and trans oil cooler
install new fan relay, 15A fuse, reconnect temp switch (upper hose), install driver fan switch
reconnect trans (out) oil line to lower radiator (input) fitting
install (2) 5/16 hoses: connect trans oil bypass cooler in UPPER (return!) line from radiator

disconnect heater lines to hot water tank, remove heat valve, 2 tees
reconnect heater hoses directly to heater core (5/8 except return nipple in rad is 3/4)
drain and refill engine coolant (about 12 qts? 50/50 glycol)
replace coolant recovery tank

remove 2 air pumps and brackets, vacuum lines, air hoses, diverter valves
remove 2 carbon canisters, hoses
replace 1 alternator: (CarQuest ERE 7127-12A, rebuilt 66A) plus 1 for spare
install additional # 8 charge wire from alt to isolator, tighten all connections
install additional # 8 charge wire from isolator to starter relay (+) post
replace starter relay (generic solenoid 22735 12V int duty)
new fan/alt belt :
CarQuest BVB K5256 (20mm x 1355mm, same as OEM w/o air pump!)
install 2 matched RBR 7410 power steering belts (3/8 x 41 same as OEM!)

reroute/remove vacuum lines, lace wiring
replace air filter (Fram CA3549), remove Thermac horn, repaint filter housing
lube carb linkages, rewire choke heater connectors
replace carb inlet filter (CarQuest RFI R86052)
inspect inline filter OK (CarQuest CFI 86299 spare) 1/2 inch fuel lines!
drill out electric choke heater pop rivets, set for full dechoke when warm (no fast idle!)
set ignition timing with cylinder #5 (12' BTDC)
adjust idle speed to 800 RPM

install exhaust hanger on right side pipe (near rear bend)
change engine oil and filter: 7 qts syn 10W-40 with CarQ CFI 85794 filter (Fram PH373)
grease all fittings: chassis, driveshaft, front end
replace/grease center core of lower speedo cable, restore speedo and cruise control
service batteries: water full and terminals clean

replace back up camera, (KMART: Swann) mounting tube, rewire RCA plug
remove TV and surround (flat screen soon!)

I didn't spend that much money but lots of time. Many of these didn't have to be done yet but my other Barth is a 1968 airplane and I just love old well made aluminum machinery and I can't stand things that don't work right. I enjoy the work and these coaches are just cool.
When I saw your ad, I was tempted...good bones indeed.
This website is awesome. There are some remarkably skilled and helpful people running the site and posting here.
I hope to be able to contribute to this family of owners and to meet them.
I am based in Mi with house in Canton and Kalkaska. I'd like to check out that coach some time, maybe I can help with your project too.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted Hide Post
Holy smokes, you have been busy! Next time I am in Canton I will have to look you up and we can have a beer some place. Let me know if I can help you with any projects you have going on. If you ever fly into Ray Community Airport (or is it called New Haven Macomb Smiler) look up my brother Mark Jones and check out his hanger there. Happy travels!

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
I now realize that there are a number of us in MI who belong to a Barth ;^)
I am, ten miles N,NW of MIS, within a hour of Canton.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Report This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Maybe we should have a MI GTG next summer? I would like to meet the family! I'm headed downstate to Canton today (without Barth). I haven't worked on Barth for a week now due to the wonderful spring(?) weather. Now that I'm retired my schedule is flexible. Something to think about for summer!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/10
Picture of kokoken
posted Hide Post
Speaking of a get together, my Barth will be at the lake down by Sturgis for part of the Summer.

1979 24 footer

Posts: 65 | Location: Indiana | Member Since: 07-28-2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Well perhaps this will be good news for someone! We in fact do plan to sell this Barth after all. We are still relocating and our current destination will not allow us to take it with us.

Since the original post, all I have been able to accomplish is to strip the roof and re-seal it. I also basically gutted the interior, so I could start replacing the ceiling and putting it back together. So a lot of the grunt work has been done.

We really would like it to go to a "Barth" person, so we will entertain any legitimate offers. We are leaving before the end of August, so if it doesn't sell I will have to store it Frowner

I moved this back to the "For Sale" category - since it is - Rusty

posted Hide Post
This coach has been sold!