Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Cagle:

Never seen duals on the tag axle. Interesting.

Nick

My Neway tag axle manual shows duals on tag axles almost the same as mine.

Just crawled out from under, and I noticed that the floor has a raised area for dual wheel clearance over the tag axle, rather than for a single wheel, to match what is presently installed.

Possibilities:

1. Duals on the tag were an option and the coach was built with that possibility in mind.

2. Duals on the tag were standard and mine lost them sometime before my acquisition.

3. All Barths are different.

However, on further thought, the axle is too wide for duals, if they are like the drive axle.

I believe I'll stick up a couple of PE water tanks to fit in there to extend our boondocking. Smiler

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of rp's barth
posted Hide Post
I can't agree more, If there is any way out DO NOT Sell!!!!! I have had 3 The first i sold and did not restore and still wish i had kept it the second one my good friend Charlie has and i am glad for him, The one i have now i did restore and then was going to sell it in fact took a deposit and sent it back to the Guy because i can not bear to part with it and i don't plan on ever selling it!!!! Besides you will find these Barths evry well constructed and despite the year you will have something people who do not own one can only wish they did especially if the have Brand X!!!!

Richard & Robin
s7809 2539 MC27 FP3

• 1979 27'
  • 454 Chevy
  • P-32 Chassis

Posts: 296 | Location: Deltona Flordia | Member Since: 08-18-2003Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just crawled out from under, and I noticed that the floor has a raised area for dual wheel clearance over the tag axle, rather than for a single wheel, to match what is presently installed

That clearance also might have been intended for a steerable tag.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
My first coach was a 25 foot 1976 Sportscoach built on the P-30 Chevy chassis. It had many of the same problems but they were never solvable. The delamination of the plastic sides was the greatest challenge. The good news was the roof was aluminum so it could be fixed. The other good news is that 454's, TH 400 transmissions and truck suspension is easy and in every junk yard. Air bags are also easy and available. After two years of work and way too much money we had this going to all sorts of races and events, always getting looks and inquiries. You can fix this if you can get it indoors somehow so the coach can be raised off the ground and stripped of its mechanicals. Any barn or shop will work and then you can work on it as your time and budget allow. Sometimes a large collision shop or industrial shop will allow or rent out storage if they have room and in our case that was $50 per month. I don't think you will have any problems with the Barth that approach what an SOB is likely to have so if you want to do it - just find a place and start. While there will never be a great resale you can expect to have a those who know Barth available to offer advice, leftover parts and interest should you want to move to a larger or newer unit. You might notice, Barth's don't show up in RV junkyards!

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Report This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Like Tom, I had previous P30s. I recognized the dismal long-term prospects of ownership, and just kept them going.

When I looked for a coach for the rest of my life, Barth was on the short list. Barths need les fixing, and everything you fix on a Barth will stay fixed.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of Jeff & Joy
posted Hide Post
Drew,

We have a 1977 Barth that looks alot like yours, PM me and I can tell you were to get parts for yours.

We have 10 tires also, I get were your at with the tire thinking. Please feel free to PM us if there is anything we can do to keep you from selling this coach! The one good thing, if you have one go down on the rear you still have 7 more to get you to the tire shop Smiler

Don't let the rubber get you down & git 'er done

Posts: 144 | Location: wolverine, michigan | Member Since: 07-24-2008Report This Post
Picture of drew
posted Hide Post
Im unsure how to delete my post, as i have decided, MY BARTH IS NO LONGER FOR SALE!!!!!!!!! Thank you all for helping me in my decision to keep her.

8411316331FP1
1985 Barth 31 foot
454 Chevy

Posts: 65 | Location: oklahoma | Member Since: 11-14-2009Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
You will not be sorry that you decided to keep this piece of history.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Report This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on rekindling and old friendship. Hope it works out for you. Post has been moved to the sold forum and your contact info has been deleted.

Thank you for NOT DELETING this as all post, especially the "For Sale Posts", are a valuable research tools and yours is unique.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Report This Post