Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Cool old 28 foot 1987 Regal for sale
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Gordon Starr
posted
Here is a 1987 Barth Regal I have for sale. It has a very good and complete service record and all original layout and design documentation for all the stuff that was put on this coach (that would be a lot of stuff). It has a rebuilt motor with around 10 k miles on it. Newly rebuilt carb, new front calipers, new headers. My mechanic and I just went through this coach and got things working nice. Runs superbly. Wiring is great with a new master cutout switch installed for the driver battery. My mechanic is a real whiz with these gm big block p37 heavy duty rigs. It runs sweet! The two air compressors that ran the pollution stuff have been removed and that helps power and efficiency. Comfortable, classy original décor. You will love the flexsteel seats. Looking for 14,400$.

Posts: 26 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 04-04-2013Report This Post
Picture of Gordon Starr
posted Hide Post
I am trying to figure out how to post pictures of this coach. My contact information is:

Gordon Starr
124 Winnet Dr.
Dayton, OH 45415
937-212-6180

Picture of Gordon Starr
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to the pictures:

http://dayton.craigslist.org/rvs/3777446519.html

Thanks for looking. Gordon

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Gordon, what's the layout of your Barth? How many miles on the generator, tires, etc. The more info the better.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Report This Post
Picture of Gordon Starr
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your interest, Jim. Here is some more information: This Regal has an Onan emerald II generator with 609 hours on it. Although both the engine and the tires have only 10k or so miles, the coach itself has 117k. It gets driven at least 100 miles a month in any weather. It has the heavy duty P37 GM chassis.

The layout has a bedroom in the rear with full bed. Coming forward in the coach there is a closet, bathroom, kitchen, living room, and then driver/copilot seating. There are two separate furnaces, one of which controls the bedroom temperature and the other controls the rest of the coach.

It has a cool light on top that has inside directional controls (great for parking). I read somewhere in the manuals that it is equipped with hydraulic jacks. If so, that would be awful handy, however, I am not sure where to look for them. Is anyone familiar with this feature who could shed some light on where to look for them?

Picture of Gordon Starr
posted Hide Post
Needing to get this Barth Regal sold, I'm dropping the asking price to $9,000.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted Hide Post
If it has jacks, there should be a controller most likely left of the driver seat with 4 levers and a switch for turn it on and off. On each underside corner in the vicinity of each wheel, you should see the jacks themselves. Some extend straight down and some rotate to the down position and then extend. HTH makes most of them.

Tom Taylor

Posts: 306 | Location: Jacksonville FL | Member Since: 05-21-2012Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted Hide Post
On that topic, Michael, the man I sold my coach to, is making great progress fixing this and that. What baffles me is that he said that the jacks work fine. I spent quite a while trying to figure out why they did not work. HTH with the 4 levers. I could turn it on and hear the pump motor and eventually it would stop and I had to do and off and on reset but they would never flip and extend. They worked last year at the GTG. Possible a switch elsewhere I missed.

Tom Taylor

Posts: 306 | Location: Jacksonville FL | Member Since: 05-21-2012Report This Post
Picture of Gordon Starr
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, Tom. This coach doesn't have the hydraulic jacks (which explains why I couldn't find them). In case you missed it, I just dropped the price from $14,400 to $9,000 in hopes of a quick sale. Gordon Starr, Dayton, Ohio, 937-212-6180

Picture of Gordon Starr
posted Hide Post
I just had a potential buyer from the list to visit and we went through all the old receipts. It appears this coach got a brand new motor, not a rebuilt one as I originally thought. It only has around six thousand miles on it! Good to go around the country a few times.. then a few more times. Also, we determined that it is a 1988 model (although the chassis was produced in 1987)Gordon

posted Hide Post
I had the opportunity to stop by and see Gordon's coach. I will see if I can get some additional pictures up a bit later this weekend (including the data tag). It is a 1987 chassis, but per the original blueprints is coach #3444 and is shown as a 1988.

The floorplan from the front - couch (dr. side) w/two side chairs across from it, table beteween them. Bath is next to couch with the side door next to the chairs. Kitchen is next behind the side door (bath across from it) and a rear bed.

The good (for me): driveline appears to be in very good condition, receipts for a new (from GM dealer) 454, new headers and dual exhaust, tires are older w/good tread depth but show no checking (I have pics of date codes but did not check them). Coach has lots documentation including original build dates and appears "unmolested" and original for the most part.

The bad (for me): as mentioned, no leveling jacks, exterior paint is showing it's age - it could be touched up/shined up and be a good "50' footer" or stripped and polished. The interior isn't terrible, but showing it's age and is well used (upholstery). The RV fridge has been replaced with a small 120v house model. There is some sign of past moisture in the bedroom (peeling paper).

Gordon told me the coach was still winterized and due to time constraints I did not check all the systems, generator etc.

The coach is too good to let deteriorate, but a good bit of work if you want a showpiece. Based on my wife and my current needs & time, it may not be the best choice for us.

Posts: 42 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 12-17-2009Report This Post
Picture of Gordon Starr
posted Hide Post
Thanks Craig for writing up your thoughtful, unbiased assessment of the coach. I believe it is a fair assessment. Also, if you would be willing to put up some more pics, I would be grateful. I actually like the original décor and wouldn't change it since it adds to the antique value (for me). But, you might look at it as an opportunity to personalize the coach if you wanted something new. With some more pics up, folks will see what we are talking about. The generator is the best (and powerful) Onan model for that year with intact mounts and I've done some work on it (new fuel filter, oil change, spark plug, cleaned out carburetor). There is still an issue with the carburation, though. For some reason, the automatic choke lets off too soon. The plumbing, similarly, has had some recent work and there is a new water pump in it. I have a new electrical cable with an adapter for 50, 30, or 15 amps. Wish I had finished detailing it as that old patina will look great.. I already get lots of complements. I am moving and don't have a pad at the new house, so it is being sold as is. It is clean and ready to roll. Gordon

posted Hide Post
Here are some pictures of the data tag, tire date codes, interior/exterior. I was doing a quick run through so no close ups of the trouble areas mentioned, but it will give you a better overview.

http://s1286.photobucket.com/u...1988%20Barth%20Regal

Posts: 42 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 12-17-2009Report This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Dye the leather and covers for the sofa and chairs Thumbs Up all who wander are not lost.

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Report This Post
Picture of Gordon Starr
posted Hide Post
That would add some fresh sheen to the old threads. They are high quality, no rips, no ruboffs, no stains. Gordon