Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted
No Activity

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Report This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I've not been able to figure out the price/time connection. Some do sell quickly, even at above average price.

Personally, this one has the same paint job as mine. If I were looking for a DP, I might consider it. But, then again, forget it... there's no toilet paper on the roll! ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I'm with you Steve. There have been a couple sold recently that were very nice but rather expensive and I thought they would not sell very quickly. But they did. D'oh

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted Hide Post
Steve VW, there probably is no way to determine what coach sells for what and when. Buyers get the hots for something and look over flaws. I think it is about location, who has the money, some feature they are looking for and then they get it and when the new to them wears off, they find the problems and it can go anywhere from there. Dating and getting married and the time after getting married can be like that too (lol). I think the lack of storage below and age go against the Barth but the aluminum construction and paint swing in its favor. It did for me as I have had my time with fiberglass and stickers.

Tom Taylor
94 Breakaway XL

Posts: 306 | Location: Jacksonville FL | Member Since: 05-21-2012Report This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I totally agree. Even at the high end these used Barth coaches are, relatively speaking, pretty inexpensive. Age, no slides, etc keeps the price down and makes them affordable to more folks.

However, the reality of restoration/maintenance/upgrading an old coach can be daunting. I think it demands an owner who is willing to invest either lots of time and/or some money in the rig. When the honeymoon is over, some get cold feet. With some lesser brands you have a total money pit, at least the Barths are timeless if well maintained.

I walked into mine almost completely ignorant except I knew it was high quality aluminum and had GM chassis, engine and trans I know well. My inlaws owned it for the previous 10 years but I only saw it twice before I bought it. I have been happy with the Barth stuff but the GM wiring was crap.

IMHO I lucked out with my coach. I really like the tag axle... more stability, more brakes and load capacity, and load leveling with air bags. Also the coach floor is 8 inches higher, allowing more basement storage.

In spite of the fact you pay 10K for the coach, put 10K into the coach and it's still worth 10K, it appears that most of us keep the Barth because we get what we pay for and it gets the job done.

I'm having a good time tweaking up 86Barth. A few more improvements and a paint job and it will be (mostly!) done. Then, if a really nice DP or cute toaster came along...

The Regencies look interesting but I need to learn more about the DD 8.2 and the MCC chassis.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I was very interested in the 28' Regal in Dayton. It had the leveling jacks that mine doesn't. But when I started to add the cost of doing all the suspension and driveline work I've done to our '85, it didn't make sense unless I could get it for a song. The owner was asking $20K and I just have a feeling he might have got close to that because of the low mileage. But if I added
Gear Vendors
Bell Cranks
Super Steer Front Springs
Heavy Duty Sway bars front and rear
Air helper springs in rear
And a few other suspension upgrades, I would be close to $30K in something that wouldn't bring anywhere near that. So we stayed with what we have. There are a few coaches out there like Nick Cagle's and Ed Chavalier's that have all the upgrades already added and are worth every penny that Nick and Ed are asking for them.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Report This Post