Search
Notify
Tools
1998 Monarch 38 ft
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tom Loughney
posted Hide Post
Hi, I just landed at JFK, 7am. I will be at the RV later today. I think it's 102 as the extra glass in the whindshield is 6 inches wide. I have had good response from the members and some interest. My trip will take me to Ohio, Muchigan, Tenn, NC then Fla. The previous owner/dealer and I hAve been friendly over the last 9 years and he will consign the unit for me. I stated I will also sell the unit wherever a buyer wants to buy it as everything stays in the RV except for my clothing, won't take stuff back to Thailand. This has been a really positive experience dealing with Barthers. I am currently in the Airporter Bus in NY

Tom Loughney
Barthless....

Posts: 202 | Location: Thailand  | Member Since: 03-31-2008Report This Post
Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
Have a safe trip and hope we can hook-up when you cross into NC.

Posts: 194 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Member Since: 02-02-2016Report This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Give me a heads up when you will be in MI. I would like to meet you and see that coach.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Report This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Hi,my name is Steve and I am a Barth Junkie...

I may have to look into the paperwork for an application to the Mary Ray Club… hmm

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
ROTFLMAO Steve, It would be great for you to have two Barth Coaches. One to work on one to drive. ROTFLMAO

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Report This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
ROTFLMAO Steve, It would be great for you to have two Barth Coaches. One to work on one to drive. ROTFLMAO

That's exactly what I'm thinking. hmm
I've been trying to get the Regal wheel wells fixed up and paint the body for five years. Got 43,000 miles and never got around to it yet.

I'm scheming on a hangar big enough for boat, plane and 86Barth while painting. Meanwhile I'd have to have SOMETHING to drive… ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

posted Hide Post
ROTFLMAO ....and when you go to Florida you could tow the one you are working on so you have something to do... ROTFLMAO Big Grin

Picture of Tom Loughney
posted Hide Post
Hi everybody. Update on the unit. I still have the rig in the storage yard. I am staying with my brother and do not have anyplace to park the unit near his house while getting it ready to go. Its a bit of a pain as the storage (closest to my brothers house) is 1 hour away in Sussex, NJ. 84RV the name. I got the engine started up with just a little assist from my brothers car. Got the gen set running and checked the electrical stuff inside. All is ok. Have not flushed out the water line yet as the place won't let me do it, insurance regulations so I am waiting for the Tech to do it.

Did find the floor of the main storage is damp and the little compartment above the propane tank is damp also. Checking I found water in the weatherstrip when I was poking it. Can't seem to find the leak in the weatherstrip for the large compartment yet. I think I need to get inside and have water sprayed from the outside to see where it leaks. There is a gap in the weather strip on the top of the small compartment. The RV was parked a bit on a side hill so possible a big rain ran down the side and got blown into the compartment. First time for this and don't have an answer yet.

I had the dual pane windows repaired and installed two years ago so no leaks there, I also had the roof resealed and coated last year when it went into storage. No leaks inside the unit.

The rest of the compartments are bone dry as usual.

The other issue is the wallpaper. I papered the unit 4ish years ago, this was the first storage in a hot/cold/hot environment. I used two different papers, one for the front area and a different for the back. A few sections of the paper in the back have loosened. The paper in the front is just fine. Talking to a wallpaper store they said I may have used the wrong glue, but the other paper is fine and the same glue on both.

I have contacted a wallpaper guy to replace the paper, I don't have time to do it myself this year, he said he will do it later this week or early next week.

I got the replacement hinges for the inside cabinets. All of the hinges work but some are weak and do not hold the door up when opened. I will give the old hinges to anybody who wants them, I think there are 40 and 30 are ok. The new hinges are the same but a darker color so I am replacing all of them.

I also got the LED's in to replace the G4 halogen and side wall lights. I did a few of the side wall lights and the LED's are nice and bright.

I will change the oil and filters before I take off on my trip.

Any comments on the compartment leak let me know.

Tom

Tom Loughney
Barthless....

posted Hide Post
quote:
Any comments on the compartment leak let me know.

Click The pounding forces of the hurricane like windy rain we had lately even penetrated some storage on my Barth. My rig is outside for now. I am sure it was worse where your Barth is on the east coast. Being parked on a slope also is a contributing factor to rain penetration in the basement storage cabinets, Tom.

I would like all of the used pneumatic closers.
Thank you in advance.

Kevin

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:

I would like all of the used pneumatic closers.
Thank you in advance.

Kevin

I think he is talking about the internal cabinet door hinges…

Can't wait to see this coach. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of Tom Loughney
posted Hide Post
Inside hinges, already changed all phenmatic lifts, have 2 extra.

Water leak looks like the seal has died. They will check on replacement.

Tom Loughney
Barthless....

posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm scheming on a hangar big enough for boat, plane and 86Barth while painting.

...And a 98 Barth with and old VW for the toad. Superman

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
More like an old VW for a driver… ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of Tom Loughney
posted Hide Post
Going to pick up the rig this morning. The tech flushed the water system and checked for the leak. He agreed with me that the seal was shot but said the hinge over the compartment was loose and water was getting inside via the loose hinge. He said he put caulking in the area and re riveted the hinge.

I am taking it to the tire place down the road from the storage yard to have the tires checked and air up to the 100 psi I run. Then headed to the NJ Truck Service shop in Saddle Brook for a oil and filter change. They said if I bring it in on Friday I can pick it up on Saturday.

If all is fine I will be on the road Monday headed to Ohio and then Michigan.

Tom Loughney
Barthless....

Picture of Tom Loughney
posted Hide Post
First off I always forget just how nice this thing drives. Drove the 70 miles to the service center and wanted to keep going.

Then....I filled it up..65 gal and $150 , what a shock I remember when filling it up required a personal loan, one CC would not do it. Just shy of $400 once.

I have had surprising response to this sale and I have received a deposit for the purchase. If the inspection goes well I will be Barthless next week.

A bit of regret in selling it, had a super time just which I were younger and not living in Thailand....NOT.

Tom Loughney
Barthless....