Search
Notify
Tools
1987 Regal 33 ft Tag axle 454
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of MJ56
posted
Edited July 1, 2014

Price reduced to $7,000. Must sell, see current post at the end of thread.

I am asking $10,000 (cash only) for the 1987 Barth Regal SE, 33 ft., Tag axle, P30 chassis, 454, 80,000 mi. It is located in zipcode 46349 in NW Indiana. 75 miles from Chicago, 3 mi. from I-65 at exit 230. Delivery is possible. E-mail is mjhdad@yahoo.com. Phone is 630-210-1801. ( I would consider a trade for real estate where I could park and hookup a motorhome, Chicago area or south, east or west)

I acquired the Barth Sept. 1, 2013. PO said they had purchased from an estate. It was driven from Fla. to Ill. When they bought it, it needed engine work. They said that due to faulty plug wires, it ran poorly and ran hot through that trip and blew a freeze plug or something. They said they had the top half of motor rebuilt, valves, heads etc. They also replaced the coach and chassis batteries and starter and some other repairs. I have their receipts and many from original owner, along with the Barth binder and many original documents, including blueprints. I acquired it in trade for a mobile home and moved into it, at the campground where I stay full time, believing it was roadworthy if I wanted to go mobile. I moved into a newer, bigger RV,so the Barth is empty and prepped for sale. I intend to describe it as best as I can so a buyer will know what they will see. Being in a rural area, it's not easy to just stop by and look at it and probably a narrow market of vintage enthusiasts, so I want the best description out there. The original quality remains but it is 27 years old. I think it was custom built for a single or retired gentleman, based on the decor.

When I first inspected it, it started and ran fine, but I noticed an exhaust leak near the headers. They told me everything was checked out and working except there might be a leak in the propane system. They had it inspected and repaired a leak at the refrigerator and there was still an indication of a minor leak somewhere in the system and they chose to leave system as
it was because they wouldn't need it for their purposes. After starting it a few times, I noticed the starter grinding and got worse each time started. My friend is a heavy truck mechanic and he and I have completed the starter repair. We have replaced the starter with the newer style, smaller starter and replaced the ring gear.
I have made 2 short road trips. My first time on the road with anything that big. It runs, brakes and handles well. My biggest annoyance was the the exhaust leak. Mechanic agreed on power and handling. I noticed a "knock" in the engine. Mechanic agrees, it is probably a rod bearing. No plans for further action on this, mechanic suggested it wasn't likely to be urgent. I replaced gaskets in exhaust at the joint between headers and pipe. That is fixed but now exposes a leak in the header collector somewhere that isn't visible yet. Also another small leak at the pipe to muffler connection. I think it can be patched
or clamped, should be easy repair.

The air bags have been inflated and waiting on a test drive. It has original bags on tag axle and aftermarket bags on front and drive axle. My rating on the tires is that they are at least half the tread left and in good condition. However, they are 11 yrs old. I am not worried about replacing any rear tires. I would replace the front tires. I would do that before it's delivered for sale or discount the sale price. There is a spare tire, brand new Goodyear, that matches the rears. I would recommend mounting the spare in place of a lone Michelin on the drive axle. Tow hitch installed. Leveling jacks work. It has been parked, untouched, on shore power since Dec. I just installed a new chassis battery, it started right away. With weather improving, I am getting more things checked out or fixed. I will edit and add updates.

EXTERIOR
Roof is solid. 2 A/C units. Ladder, luggage rack/rail. I repaired a leak in the rear AC unit, patched a hole in the bottom frame. I put an elastomeric coating on the whole roof. A/C covers are brittle, should be replaced. I replaced original Winegard antenna with a new Jack antenna.
Original owner had a custom paint job with a mural done. He flew choppers for offshore oil rigs. There are some spots that have been repainted. I have noticed a small hole in aluminum skin, needs to be repaired. There is some paint bubbling from rust underneath. Along the trim where siding meets basement and some along the brow over the windshield.
All exterior lighting is working. Including roof mounted spotlight over the cab but the joystick is broken off the remote switch. 2 pairs of fog/driving lights. 1 set is not connected, the other pair has one working and one bad bulb, I think.
All awnings are metal covered. Large patio awning and 3 others.
Basement compartment doors are a bit annoying. Some have a key cylinder, with key, some are slotted and require a screwdriver to operate, some require the original key/handle. But they all work.
NOTE: There are air horns on the roof over the cab. Found a compressor that is not working.

SYSTEMS
The black tank (94 gal) is empty. Gray water tank (40 gal) is empty. Fresh water tank (INCA #146) is empty. Gasoline (60 gal) and propane (30 gal) are full.
Water pump and city hookup work. 12 volt converter works.
2 rooftop AC units work. 50 amp service. 2 coach batteries new, spring 2013, by PO (12v deep cycle) and 1 new chassis battery 3-22-14

New Jack TV antenna, has original cable and phone jacks exterior, near shore power hookup.
Auxiliary heater in kitchen area (from radiator) has been disconnected. (wiring and switches)
Furnaces still needs to be checked. We are troubleshooting thermostat wiring.
3 - 16k btu units. Tstat behind driver, near frig, inside bedrm wall.
Water heater needs some repair, it was working with HotRodd electric element. One day it started overheating and discovered thermostat was not installed properly. If my memory is correct, we did get it to light on propane, before winter storage. Thermostat for Hotrodd needs to be installed on tank. (It was clamped to the relief valve)

CAB
CB radio (Midland)turns on and has volume, no channel display, haven't searched any channels yet. 2 antennas on roof, I believe CB and AM/FM.
Upgraded stereo system, Kenwood equalizer, amp, 6 speakers, 2 in cab ceiling, 2 in kitchen, 2 in bedroom overhead cabinets.
Dash air has not been checked yet and heat hasn't been checked. 2 original dash fans for defrost and cooling.
TV overhead is Dynex 19"flat screen with remote, new 2013 by PO.
Flexsteel leather capt's chairs. Leather headliner throughout.

LIVING ROOM
Carpet (original?)
Grasscloth wallpaper, valances and curtains are original
Blinds on all windows
Lots of lighting everywhere
2 barrel chairs (would like to keep one, if possible)
Fold-out table/cabinet with cupholders
Flexsteel sofa/bed
KITCHEN
Real wood parquet flooring
Moen single handle faucet
Oak cabinets
Formica counter, built-in blender base works, no pitcher.
Mirror backsplash 2 sides of stovetop.
BATHROOM (All in one room with door, all closet on other side of hallway)
Real wood parquet flooring
Moen single handle faucet
Everpure filter system under sink with spigot at sink.
BEDROOM
Carpet (original?)
Glass panels in oak cabinets overhead
Nightstands
Queen size mattress
Insignia 21" flat screen with remote, new 2013 by PO.

Posts: 84 | Location: NW IN | Member Since: 09-22-2013Report This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Send to the Photobucket account but be sure to put MJ56 in the subject line. They should appear in Bill's bucket under "recent uploads" and in your MJ56 album. Copy the IMG link (usually the bottom choice) and paste into the posting.

Good luck, I have floorplan option B, you have option A (different bathroom?)

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5166 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
compose an email from your email provider.

in the
to line put the following email address

barth_upload.61972@uploads.photobucket.com

in the subject line put

MJ56

NO OTHER INFO

attach photo

Try one pic to see if it goes through to MJ56 album in photobucket by going to link below to see.

If it does work then try maybe 7-10 at a time instead of all 45 then go to the link below to see if they are in your personal MJ56 library.

It does take a few minutes. Wait each time before sending more pics check the link below & see where you stand.

http://s687.beta.photobucket.c...arth_upload/library/

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Report This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Photobucket has been unreliable at times lately. Not sure what's going on. It usually works for me.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of MJ56
posted Hide Post

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
MJ56, I appreciate your candid comments. It's not often that a seller tells the good, the bad and the maybe. Whoever buys this will know what they're are getting and you will have no 'comeback' problems. Keep it up.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Report This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Bravo. An excellent description! It would be great if all the sellers knew their coaches so well and took the time to document. Thumbs Up

So often there are misunderstandings between seller and buyer. I think most of the time the details omitted are not attempts to deceive but due to the ignorance of the seller.

That said, caveat emptor. I have advised buyers to remember that "the coach is whatever it is" regardless of what the sellers says or thinks it is. The wise buyer should CHECK THOROUGHLY!

Obviously I'm biased but I think the tag axle Regals are the best of the gassers. Ride, handling, and size are better than most.

Hopefully you will find a buyer for your coach. Good luck!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of MJ56
posted Hide Post

Picture of MJ56
posted Hide Post
I have updated my original post and deleted my posts about posting photos. I will add more pics soon, including data tag for the map. (Info is on my Pictures of my Barth post)
With warmer weather, I am focusing on the sale of my Barth. Unfortunately, if I sell it, I most likely won't make it to Milford. For the right buyer, I will pay for 4 nights camping so the new owner and Barth can be there.
I am 100 miles west of Milford. I can deliver it to Milford. I offer one night of camping here locally, if needed for transfer to new owner.

Picture of MJ56
posted Hide Post
This should be a slideshow of all pics in photobucket. The good and the bad, but much easier.

http://s687.photobucket.com/us...pload/slideshow/MJ56

Picture of MJ56
posted Hide Post
DATA TAG

Picture of MJ56
posted Hide Post

Picture of MJ56
posted Hide Post
I have updated the description in the first post.
It is going into the shop on Monday for a checkup, before the next road test. Stay tuned.

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
price now $9000

http://rvs.oodle.com/detail/us...VIEW-_-www-_-NA-_-NA

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Report This Post
Picture of MJ56
posted Hide Post
Thank you Doug. I paid for some advertising and it appears you found it. Unfortunately the right buyer has not.

My internet access has been poor for the last month, but finally I can post this message.

My situation is requiring me to sell the Barth ASAP. I may have to run it though an auction before the end of July. My advertising has brought very little response, here and other places. I have advertised it for as low as $8,000 and still, little response. I am now willing to accept $7,000 or consider a cash in hand offer that is close to that.