Search
Notify
Tools
1987 Regal 33 ft Tag axle 454
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
If you decide to drive it, get some roadside assist thru Good Sam or Coach Net(FMCA). That is separate from their regular membership, costs around $100/yr but they will tow you for free to a repair facility or send a repairman i.e. tire blow out

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Report This Post
Picture of dr. bart
posted Hide Post
I'll go along with you .... Drive both ways and we'd have a vehicle for emergencies. And won't need rental car from airport to where barth is located... Cheaper than two plane tickets too ( obviously more time tho ) .. It's an adventure... Let's go get it... John ....luckytwd@yahoo.com....I Need to be back by the 10th....

Posts: 108 | Location: harrisonburg va | Member Since: 06-14-2014Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/13
posted Hide Post
I bought my Regal sight unseen and drove it 3080 miles to home with no qualms whatsoever. But then I was fortunate enough to buy Old Blue from Jim and Tere, and I knew they had it in perfect mechanical condition. A cross-country road trip is always an adventure, but it's better when not worrying about a roadside breakdown.

Posts: 39 | Location: Seattle, WA | Member Since: 09-16-2009Report This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those that have done this, do comment here and give me some pointers, and advice.

Keep the gas tank at least half full, in case the little hose on the in-tank electric pump has problems.

Check that the belts that are supposed to be 3/8" are 3/8" and not 10mm or 11mm.

Bring spare belts, radiator hoses, HEI module, hose clamps. 2 3/4" wrenches to adjust the hydroboost pump belt, something metric for the alternator and the serpentine belt.

You'll buy plugs and wires someday, so why not now, just in case.

happy motoring!
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 523 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Report This Post
Picture of MJ56
posted Hide Post
The new owner is now planning to travel here and drive the Barth back. I am now planning to get new steer tires installed before he gets here. I have requested cancellation and refund from the broker

He requested Bridgestone 8R19.5. Data says it's a load range F with a max load of 3525 (x2=7050). Front axle weighed in over 7500. I also found out there is an equivalent of 225/70R19.5.
My concern is about the load capacity. Any comments?
Any experience with the alternate size, in regards to handling on a P30 chassis?

Posts: 84 | Location: NW IN | Member Since: 09-22-2013Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
8R19.5 Load Range G; if the actual front axle weight is 7,500. Whether the 225swould clear everything could be an issue.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Report This Post
Picture of MJ56
posted Hide Post
Also, any opinions on driving it with a bad air bag on the tag axle? I will inquire with the truck service center to see if I can get it done with the tires.

See page 3 of Pictures of my Barth
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...162/m/3443961087/p/3

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Goodyear suggests a minimum of 10psi in the tag axle bags to prevent bottoming out and damaging the bag (who cares now the bag is shot) also the mounting components could be damaged.

Ride and handling will also suffer if the rear end is squatting without support of the tag. The 2 drive tires on that side could be possibly be overloaded without the tag to help support the weight.

You will need a Goodyear 1R9-038 replacement. They are easy to change. I run mine about 30 psi with good results. Thumbs Up

I am running Goodyear 245/70 front tires with no clearance issues. Almost the exact same diameter as the 8R-19.5 Bridgestones I had, 225s are a bit smaller. Gives me a bit more width and load capacity. Rear tires are all Bridgestones.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5166 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Report This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
Goodyear suggests a minimum of 10psi in the tag axle bags to prevent bottoming out and damaging the bag (who cares now the bag is shot) also the mounting components could be damaged.

Ride and handling will also suffer if the rear end is squatting without support of the tag. The 2 drive tires on that side could be possibly be overloaded without the tag to help support the weight.

Tire life gets real short with low pressure in the tag bags. They can readily lock up and flat-spot the tires.

quote:

I am running Goodyear 245/70 front tires with no clearance issues. Almost the exact same diameter as the 8R-19.5 Bridgestones I had, 225s are a bit smaller. Gives me a bit more width and load capacity. Rear tires are all Bridgestones.

Same here.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Report This Post
Picture of MJ56
posted Hide Post
I have confused myself on the front axle weight.
I quickly looked at the weigh ticket, the last time I was with the Barth. I saw the 7500 front and 15,700 total.
I looked back on my post about weight and I see different numbers. I can't be certain until I check the records again on the next trip to the Barth. (Hoping for Friday)

Picture of jumanjii1
posted Hide Post
Looking at the data tag of the Barth, I see 5000 pounds for the front and 9840 for the rear. So where is the extra weight coming from? You would have to install a bank safe up front to get those kinds of weights so I'm just gonna assume that it is in fact 5000 pounds for the front axle. Perfect for the Bridgestone R187 8R19.5.

Thanks for all the advice and warm send-offs. I just need everyone's phone number so I can send for the cavalry if anything happens. Which gives me an idea. If we are hard core Barth enthusiasts as we say we are, then we need a network of us on the ready to help out a fellow Barth owner stuck in the mud, for a small fee of course to offset the high cost of fuel. ROTFLMAO

So I talked to MJ56 today and he's getting the tires ordered and put on, as well as the exhaust leak. He's looking at the cost to replace that leaking bag. Sure hope he can get that bag replaced.

So we are set for this Friday at 4:00 PM to start the drive up and getting there by 3:00 or 4:00 AM. I'll bring tools and jack and jack stands, air compressor, GPS and a prayer.

GOD Help Us
jumanjii1

Posts: 62 | Location: Sandston, VA | Member Since: 07-16-2014Report This Post
Picture of MJ56
posted Hide Post
Ordered the Bridgestone 8R19.5 to be installed on Friday. The shop's supplier said there is one 1R9-038 air bag in the country, in Fla, can't get it here by Friday.

There is a possibility that the air bag is good and have a leak in the line somewhere. If the bag is bad, is it feasible to put solid rubber spacers in the coils or some other temporary fix?

I also am wondering if the bottoming out sound could be from a bad shock, maybe caused by bad air bag? I will have them check it out.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/13
posted Hide Post
Be sure to check the date codes on those tires before they are installed. I ordered some Bridgestones, and found they were already 26 months old. So I rejected them. Motorhome tires rarely wear out, they age out. And given the cost of the damned things, we need all the months we can get.

Posts: 39 | Location: Seattle, WA | Member Since: 09-16-2009Report This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
You may be bottoming out the main spring without the tag to share the load. I'm surprised they can't find more than 1 in the country... lots of places sell them. Google the number.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5166 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Report This Post
Picture of MJ56
posted Hide Post
New tires went on with no problems.
I did what I could to fix exhaust leaks.
Didn't have time to do anything with air bags.
I couldn't be there to meet the buyer, so I set up in a campsite for buyer to get some sleep and check things out before hitting the road again.

I talked to him at noon and they were eating lunch in Indianapolis. Barth was doing fine.

Hopes and prayers for a continued safe journey.