Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
1987 Regal 33 ft Tag axle 454
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of MJ56
posted Hide Post
I am pleased to announce that a transaction has taken place and shipping arrangements are being finalized. The new owner is already registered here and will surely continue this Barth's journey through these pages to it's new home in VA and beyond.

Posts: 84 | Location: NW IN | Member Since: 09-22-2013Report This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Who's got my twin now?

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5166 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Report This Post
Picture of jumanjii1
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone. Yes I purchased the Barth belonging to MJ56, sight unseen. But a picture is worth a thousand words and I liked what I saw. I had been looking at the Holiday Ramblers with the tag axle because the tag axle looks impressive to me. Then I got my first glance at a Barth motor home and immediately fell in love with them. I did a lot of research on them and eventually found this site. I settled on one here in VA but the owner was in a hurry and sold it for a Harley and some chump change before I was able to get the funds together. Anyhow I started looking on Craigs list and discovered that there were no other Barths in the area. Soon I was looking further and further until I discovered MJ56 and his Barth. A week or two went by and we discussed different ways to get it to VA, going as far as having him drive it to me and me sending him home on a jet plane. He researched having it shipped and found several carriers willing to ship it to me at good affordable rates. So I wait here Barth-less and in anticipation of its arrival. I measured the driveway and the street to insure that it would squeeze in. Today I measured the carport and it just won't fit, so a new carport will have to be installed along with rocks and grading and maybe a new electrical line to the carport. I'm crazy that way. My only fear is that the carrier won't want to ship it, which means a week off from work and a drive there to get it. We will document the move and videos will be placed on youtube. Pictures too.

Well that's it for now until something exciting happens.
Toodles

Posts: 62 | Location: Sandston, VA | Member Since: 07-16-2014Report This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Good luck with your coach! Thumbs Up Yours is a few months newer than mine, slightly different floorplan (Option A, mine is Option B) but very similar I'm sure.

Check out my threads here on the site. mechanic Lots of the stuff will apply to your coach.

You will not be disappointed with the tag axle. It improves the ride, the handling and the braking. Best of the Regals, IMHO. Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Forums!

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
My only fear is that the carrier won't want to ship it, which means a week off from work and a drive there to get it.

If it is coming from NW Indiana, It cannot be awfully far from me. However, if I drove it to you, I don't know how I'd get myself home. Confused Neither of my autos can be towed four-down. If I towed my Yamaha TMax scooter on trailer, could not get the trailer back home from VA. hmm
I am retired and have the time. In 2011, I got my Breakaway in AZ, drove it home to MI, later drove it to CA and back to MI. Tooling Along

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Report This Post
Picture of MJ56
posted Hide Post
The experience of dealing with this shipping broker is worth a thread by itself. Lots of surprises.

We attempted to load the Barth on a 5th wheel flatbed trailer. Deck height of trailer was 2' 7". A lowboy was promised. The ramps were too short and steep.

Waiting on broker to find another carrier.

Picture of MJ56
posted Hide Post
Can anyone confirm that a 1987 Barth Regal would measure 10' 6" from ground to top o AC units?

My buddy and I measured mine the other day, but I had the dumb end of the tape at the ground, so I can't swear to the info.

Had another driver look at, wanted the load, but he came up with 11' 4" ?????

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
My '85 Regal was 10'6" to top of AC. 19.5" wheels. The AC units were not the low boy style.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Your coach has a raised floor. 11'4 is probably correct.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
I just went and measured my 1984 tag axle Regal Royale and it was 11' 8" With no air in the bags . It's also a raised floor. I think it's the same as a Regal. The raised floor models have I think 8" channel on top of the frame...sure makes it easy to work on..

Our coaches are very similar . ONE IMPORTANT bit of advice. ALWAYS be sure you coach is COMPLETELY stopped when shifting from drive to reverse. The least little rolling can knock out your trans....done it twice...our coaches are so heavy...also if you have gear vendors don't back up,an incline it will knock it out also

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
One other thing...when dealing with a shipping company. BE SURE you personally yourself call their insurance carrier and verify they have coverage in effect and that it will be in effect while they have your vehicle.

Two years ago, I bought and shipped an SUV from Houston. Shipper hit a bridge, crunched in the top. The shipping companies' insurance had lapsed and shipper had paid it just a few hours before the accident. Took an extra week to verify his payment at agents office and cover my loss...

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
One other thing...when dealing with a shipping company. BE SURE you personally yourself call their insurance carrier and verify they have coverage in effect and that it will be in effect while they have your vehicle.

A phone call isn't reliable. Require a Certificate of Insurance, a routine thing for insurance agencies.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Report This Post
Picture of jumanjii1
posted Hide Post
So the shippers went and tried to load the Barth to no avail. Either it was too high a trailer to load or not low enough that the back of the Barth would scrape the pavement. So MJ56 is looking for a Lowboy trailer which is what he asked for in the first place. Failing all these attempts, I am looking at flights out to Midway airport to retrieve it. I want this thing here as I have a lot of work to do on it before its first trip. Wait a sec, 760 miles!!!! That's a long first trip. I can just see myself on the side of the road with a dead Barth and my dreams shattered.....and stuck. I need some words of encouragement here fellas. Those that have done this, do comment here and give me some pointers, and advice.

Thanks

Posts: 62 | Location: Sandston, VA | Member Since: 07-16-2014Report This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The first time I drove my Barth I backed it out of the site, hooked up the tow dolly with the Prius and drove it from Florida to Michigan, 1500 miles. I never even drove it without the tow car until I got home. confusion

A fairly bold move but I had a month in Florida to look it over and work on it, which I did. Found several (!) problems and tweaked several things and made it home OK.

If you are mechanically talented, check things over, especially brakes, tires, belts/hoses, and fuel system. IF you research the site you'll find some lists and discussions. IF you are not doing the work yourself be sure to get a mechanic who knows what he's doing, and pay him whatever he asks. If you decide to drive I'll give you my phone #, I might be able to help. mechanic

Good luck! If I weren't so busy lately I'd go get it for you. Got to get my new 454 hooked up and running! Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp