Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
1990 Barth Regency
 Login now/Join our community

posted Hide Post
hello has one seen the unit first hand ? if so is she really that clean .chris

Posts: 27 | Location: royal oak michigan | Member Since: 09-07-2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
the unit looks spot less in the picture's hard to belive a 23 year old coach looking that good !!! chris

Posts: 27 | Location: royal oak michigan | Member Since: 09-07-2013Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I've seen the coach, and it is in great condition. Don is meticulous about maintenance. If I were in the market for a coach this size, I'd already own this one!

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
rusty are you for real ? don is only about 3 1/2 hours away from us she looks almost to nice for her age wow Big Grin ..chris

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I've seen the coach (twice) and got to know Don a bit. Just buy it! Tooling Along

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chrism57:
rusty are you for real ? don is only about 3 1/2 hours away from us she looks almost to nice for her age wow Big Grin ..chris

Chris, I wouldn't "know you from Adam" as the saying goes. have no idea how much (if at all) you have studied up on Barths. have no idea how genuinely interested you are in buying one.

Don's coach is for sale something like 1/10 of the original price. Too nice for its age? sure, compared to a typical shoe box SOB motor home.
Many (NOT all) of the Barth owners treat their units as my fellow MINI enthusiasts treat their cars -- with love. doubt you see that much with Winny's and Coachmen and countless other mundane flimsy boxes on mediocre chassis.
It might lack some fancy stuff like rounded-edge Corian counter tops. no matter. It is in a much classier league than anything on a Chevy chassis with a 454 gasser. It has LOW miles -- like 1/3 the miles (but for only a little more money)of the 5.9 6BTA Breakaway I had for a year. It is a big, heavy, rugged machine. IMHO, the one draw back (compared to a Barth a year or two newer) is not having the later 6 speed Alli tranny.

Of course, it WILL require ongoing maintenance and repairs. It WILL suck at least $0.40 a mile of fuel. It WILL take a lot of storage space (which is probably at a premium in Royal Oak).

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Report This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Barth cut no corners when it built its coaches; Amish-crafted cabinets, top-grade furniture and upholstery, and solid construction.

Any older coach will require attention, but a Barth won't fall apart faster than you can fix it.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

posted Hide Post
with the 4 speed what kind of mpg ? does the 1990 have full air system ,brake air bags ...chris

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
quote:
with the 4 speed what kind of mpg ?

The 6 speeds might be nice to have, but that wouldn't hold me back from buying this coach.
Of the years of reading on this forum I do not recall a single problem with the 4 speeds. I have read some expensive repairs on 6 speed controllers and shift panels.

Even if you could get 10% better mileage, at 10,000 miles you might save $400 to $500.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doorman:

The 6 speeds might be nice to have, but that wouldn't hold me back from buying this coach.

I agree. was thinking more in terms of cruising speed, based on my limited experience w 190hp 5.9

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Hello
Since you asked; we cruise at 2000 - 2100 rpms to and from Az.; which puts us at 65 - 68 mph. It has a 4th gear lockup torque converter so mileage is probably 6 - 9 mpg on the interstate depending on terrain, headwinds, etc. etc.
... And, we always are towing our 4 door Chev Tracker
.Haven't cared enough to check mileage since we first got the coach, it's just the price of doing business.
Don
quote:

I agree. was thinking more in terms of cruising speed, based on my limited experience w 190hp 5.9

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
don does your unit have full air ,brakes ,bags ect ..chris Big Grin

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
Picture of kaabass1
posted Hide Post
could you call me @251-401-4497? we would like to see this beautiful coach and possibly (very interested) bring her home with us. we are looking for a coach to get out and see the country. have cash!

Posts: 12 | Location: daphne AL | Member Since: 09-10-2013Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Yes. Full air system ... Brakes, suspension, throttle, shifter, wipers, air horn.
Have I forgot something?
Don
quote:
don does your unit have full air ,brakes ,bags ect ..chris Big Grin

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I can also attest to the quality of this Barth. I assisted with an electrical issue that has since been resolved. Don did an amazing job replacing the relays and other issues in maintaining this Barth. If I were needing a larger Barth, I would jump on this one!

Mileage will vary. Driving styles are the biggest influence on mileage. One driver will get 12 MPG and another will only get 9 MPG!

The 8.3L Cummins with the 4 speed auto is NOT the same as a 5.9L Cummins with a 4 speed. Rear end gearing is not the same either. His is a lock up torque converter and will respond differently than the 5.9L/542 without the lockup.

Good Luck Don and hope to hook up with you again soon!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Report This Post