Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
1977 Barth Regal Project $1000
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted
MattR from our community is offering his Barth project to any ambitious member here.

I've been working on this RV off and on for a few years. I originally purchased it intending to travel full time in it but I no longer work from home and have too many other obligations. I'll take the best offer over the next couple of days, otherwise it is going to Goodwill.

When I purchased it about 2.5 years ago I had all new tires put on and 5,000 worth of engine repairs. New springs were installed, a new exhaust manifold installed and much more. I can't find the service receipt but I have pictures the mechanic provided of each step I can email to anyone interested. Someone with more knowledge about engines could probably get more information from those.

The previous owner provided service records as well so I have those scanned into a PDF as well for whatever that's worth.

I've only camped once last season at Rock Cut state park so those are the only miles on the tires aside from a few stops around the suburbs each year of no more than 100 miles I would guess. The RV has 63,000 original miles.

The PVC plumbing had leaks throughout so I have removed much of that and started to replace with PEX. I installed a Kenwood car stereo and a couple of polk speakers. I pulled the toilet to work on the plumbing, some of the walls I intended to replace as well as the ceiling paneling. I pulled one of the vents and have two "Fanstastic" vents to install and some other accessories I'll list below after I take photos and get a list together shortly. Those vents were about 100 a piece, I believe.

There is a pull down bed above the drivers seat I removed to get to the fiberglass cap interior above the window. After removing that to get to the leak that caused some damage I found there was square tubing running widthwise above the windshield that had rusted. The rest of the RV body is aluminum but this section.

I did some research and found Master Tech out of Elkhart Indiana would do the work for 2,000 in labor with parts extra around a few hundred dollars. They said they'd expect the cost to be under 3,000. I can forward the email conversation about this repair work to the buyer if they're interested.

The refrigerator work, the electrical works, there's a new interstate batter installed as of 2 years ago and barely used.

There is no generator. That was stolen while in storage before I purchased the RV.

After researching roofing materials I cam to the conclusion that liquid EPM rubber roofing would be the best and ordered it. I have a 5 gallon bucket I just received. I intend to send that back upon selling the RV unless the buyer would like to purchase it. I paid 350 for it and I'd have to pay to ship it and pay a 15% restocking fee so I'd sell it for 250 to the seller or anyone interested. I'll post it separately later on Craigslist.

I just changed the oil putting in mobile 1 synthetic with a K&N oil filter and topped off the coolant so it should be good to go. I'm going to take some pictures and drive it around a bit to test everything out. I wanted to get this post up as soon as possible while I'm working on the rest because I don't want to talk myself into keeping this and will be giving it to goodwill promptly this week if there's no interest shown.

Matt you can post your contact information and the data tag here, by clicking reply to this post. Thanks again, as our members are always looking for a Barth.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Report This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Interesting project. As Matt has learned, restoring vintage coaches is not simple easy work. My 86 is ten years newer and has been a continuing project.

OTOH, there is a lot left in this one. Matt you have done some great work. Lots of good stuff, roadworthy, good bones.

Hopefully someone can see this as a good start. With the low asking price and Matt's time and money invested, it should be a good place to start.

Good luck, Matt.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Steve, I agree it has some good bones. For someone like you, or Kevin, or Ed Rather, you could spend a few thousand and a bunch of time and it would be fine. But for those of us who would have to outsource all the work, I just don't know. Of course I'm coming from a different perspective. Matt--sorry you went through all this. If you had known how serious the issues were, my guess is that you would have walked away from it.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattR:
The Barth already went to a good home.

quote:
Originally posted by GirlsInPantsTour:
We just bought Matt's 1977 Barth. So happy to come upon it this morning and it was only 1.5hrs away. Crused home on the highways 55+. It's going to be a fun (and challenging) project. We are thrilled.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Glad someone took this baby on. Matt had done so much already, and now we have another Barth on the 'saved' list. Good for GirlsInPantsTour. Please keep us up todate with the project.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post
GirlsInPantsTour ,
Congratulations on the purchase of this Barth . cheers
Hope everything works out for the Best.
Have fun , Bob

Year:: 1986
Model:: Barth Regal
Length:: 25 ft
Engine:: New Chevy 454 HO
Chassis:: P-30