Start A New Topic
Reply To This Topic
MattR from our community is offering his Barth project to any ambitious member here.
I've been working on this RV off and on for a few years. I originally purchased it intending to travel full time in it but I no longer work from home and have too many other obligations. I'll take the best offer over the next couple of days, otherwise it is going to Goodwill.
When I purchased it about 2.5 years ago I had all new tires put on and 5,000 worth of engine repairs. New springs were installed, a new exhaust manifold installed and much more. I can't find the service receipt but I have pictures the mechanic provided of each step I can email to anyone interested. Someone with more knowledge about engines could probably get more information from those.
The previous owner provided service records as well so I have those scanned into a PDF as well for whatever that's worth.
I've only camped once last season at Rock Cut state park so those are the only miles on the tires aside from a few stops around the suburbs each year of no more than 100 miles I would guess. The RV has 63,000 original miles.
The PVC plumbing had leaks throughout so I have removed much of that and started to replace with PEX. I installed a Kenwood car stereo and a couple of polk speakers. I pulled the toilet to work on the plumbing, some of the walls I intended to replace as well as the ceiling paneling. I pulled one of the vents and have two "Fanstastic" vents to install and some other accessories I'll list below after I take photos and get a list together shortly. Those vents were about 100 a piece, I believe.
There is a pull down bed above the drivers seat I removed to get to the fiberglass cap interior above the window. After removing that to get to the leak that caused some damage I found there was square tubing running widthwise above the windshield that had rusted. The rest of the RV body is aluminum but this section.
I did some research and found Master Tech out of Elkhart Indiana would do the work for 2,000 in labor with parts extra around a few hundred dollars. They said they'd expect the cost to be under 3,000. I can forward the email conversation about this repair work to the buyer if they're interested.
The refrigerator work, the electrical works, there's a new interstate batter installed as of 2 years ago and barely used.
There is no generator. That was stolen while in storage before I purchased the RV.
After researching roofing materials I cam to the conclusion that liquid EPM rubber roofing would be the best and ordered it. I have a 5 gallon bucket I just received. I intend to send that back upon selling the RV unless the buyer would like to purchase it. I paid 350 for it and I'd have to pay to ship it and pay a 15% restocking fee so I'd sell it for 250 to the seller or anyone interested. I'll post it separately later on Craigslist.
I just changed the oil putting in mobile 1 synthetic with a K&N oil filter and topped off the coolant so it should be good to go. I'm going to take some pictures and drive it around a bit to test everything out. I wanted to get this post up as soon as possible while I'm working on the rest because I don't want to talk myself into keeping this and will be giving it to goodwill promptly this week if there's no interest shown.
Matt you can post your contact information and the data tag here, by clicking reply to this post. Thanks again, as our members are always looking for a Barth.
Interesting project. As Matt has learned, restoring vintage coaches is not simple easy work. My 86 is ten years newer and has been a continuing project.
OTOH, there is a lot left in this one. Matt you have done some great work. Lots of good stuff, roadworthy, good bones.
Hopefully someone can see this as a good start. With the low asking price and Matt's time and money invested, it should be a good place to start.
Good luck, Matt.
86 Regal SE 33 Tag axle--"98" Monarch 37
Chev P3(7) 454TBI--------Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
400 hp fuel injected-------Cummins 8.3 300 hp
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Steve, I agree it has some good bones. For someone like you, or Kevin, or Ed Rather, you could spend a few thousand and a bunch of time and it would be fine. But for those of us who would have to outsource all the work, I just don't know. Of course I'm coming from a different perspective. Matt--sorry you went through all this. If you had known how serious the issues were, my guess is that you would have walked away from it.
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Glad someone took this baby on. Matt had done so much already, and now we have another Barth on the 'saved' list. Good for GirlsInPantsTour. Please keep us up todate with the project.
Congratulations on the purchase of this Barth .
Hope everything works out for the Best.
Have fun , Bob
Model:: Barth Regal
Length:: 25 ft
Engine:: New Chevy 454 HO
Data Tag Number:: 8606 3339 25FP2
|Powered by Social Strata|