Search
Notify
Tools
1996 38 ft Monarch $18,000
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/11
Picture of Morris
posted
I tend to ramble as I write and will probably include things we learned in our years of RVing along with talk of this Motor Coach so for those bottom line people the price is $18,000 firm (don't waste my time) Black Beauty now has 98,000 miles and is in road ready condition (we returned yesterday to our home in Iowa a 1150 mile trip, stayed 5 days in Nashville) however several things need updating like the awnings which are original and getting tired. Contact me at (mcronne@yahoo.com), for data tag number, a picture and more info look in Barth Coaches Sold page 12 posted by the original owner Gunner. We bought this coach the year I retired intending it to be our winter home until we decided on a permanent location, we have now purchased a home in southern Alabama. Black Beauty has served us very well and in addition to being our winter home has let us travel, we have been coast to coast east to west and border to border north to south. Gunner and his wife were experienced RVers when they ordered this coach they knew what they were doing, they intended for this coach to be comfortable for two people to full-time in and it is. What it has is a large kitchen with counter space to work on, a floor to ceiling pantry, a table for two, and cupboards for dishes and utensils. The bedroom has a queen bed, a large cedar hanging closet, a floor to ceiling dresser with four drawers and two shelves, nightstands with a drawer and small hanging closets above on each side of the bed and overhead cabinets above the headboard. The diagonal bathroom has a full size shower, a sink with medicine cabinet, a second medicine cabinet with a counter and storage beneath and a separate room with the toilet and washer-dryer. What it isn't is a party bus, the driver and passenger seats turn around and with the recliner and couch there is room for five or six people to sit and visit but not to sleep. The couch makes out into a bed but it is awful so really there is room for only one additional person to sleep and that is on the couch. I would like to make a comment about full time RVing, since we have owned this coach we have spent more than two years living in it never staying more than 90 days in one spot, so we met lots of people. Several times we have met people who sold their homes and bought a high end RV intending to live as full timers, this often ends badly. A new RV loses about half it's value in five years that's if you can find a buyer, it's hard to find half of a house, we have seen people having to make hard choices. Last summer we stayed at a state park near Omaha Ne and met a couple full-timing in an 80's something gas powered Pace Arrow. When they retired they rented their home to a friend, paid cash for the Pace Arrow and had been on the road for five years when we met them. It looked to us as if they were having a great time, he told us they still had places to see but one of these years they would go home. I think they enjoyed their time on the road more knowing they had a home to go back to, I know we do. I mentioned Gunner did an excellent job on this coach, some other examples are: the best possible wheelbase the front and rear overhangs are balanced making this coach very maneuverable for it'size, the Cummins Allison drive-train combination has proven to be the best RV drive-train of it's time and still is, the 11R22.5 tires were the most common truck tire at that time and are still in wide use every truck tire dealer has them not so with the odd sizes many RV's have, fully loaded Black Beauty scales 19,400 lb on the rear and 10,600 lb on the front that is legal almost everywhere many coaches carry more than 20,000 lb on the rear axle which didn't used to be a problem since RV's don't have to go through the scales now there are scales in the roads and it is a serious problem. Gunner's wife designed the color scheme, when I first saw it I thought it was the prettiest coach I had ever seen you will be amazed at how good it still looks. When we first got the coach we installed a two channel satellite receiver, a Bose radio, DVD player and two flat screen TV's. Within two years we replaced the water heater and the inverter, it now has a 3000 watt unit. In 2014 we replaced the air-conditioners with Atwood Air Command 13.5 heat-pumps, in 2015 we installed an Electrolux apartment sized washer and a stacked Panda dryer in place of the Splendide conbination unit we had previously installed. We had bought the Splendide from Camping World, it quit shortly after the warranty expired a $300.00 pump fixed it, six months later another pump six weeks after that the computer went out, tech support asked how we were using it when I said motor-home they said that was rough service and it wasn't designed for that, someone should tell Camping World. In 2016 the generator burned the armature so I replaced it with an Onan Cummins 5.5KW propane generator in a quiet box. It is smaller than the original 7.0 KW so you have to be knowledgeable about what is connected but we have found it adequate and we use it more than the original since it makes about half the noise due to the quiet box. I should mention the tanks, it has 150 gallons fuel, 85 gallons fresh water (factory said 100 I guess that's close), 115 gallons grey and 45 gallons black. The grey and black tanks are custom units with the black tank shaped to empty completely, these have been installed for over seven years and work very well. We like to stay in state parks, they generally cost less, have larger sites and a nicer setting than commercial RV parks, however some have water and electric but no sewer, that 115 gallon grey tank works really well in those parks. Black Beauty has no slides, Barth never used them, I know they add much needed space, all RV's can use more space. What we have found in our travels is that the most troublesome thing in RV's are slides usually they won't go in when it is time to leave, ask other members on the forum it might get a good debate going. A second problem is slide seals leaking, they might be fine when new but think about a 10 year old seal facing a 30mph driving rain. If you get water in the wall or under the floor you can a smell that is impossible to get rid of, if you are looking to buy a coach that smells walk away. It might be a good time to mention that Black Beauty has never had smoking or pets ever. I would like to talk about towing a vehicle, the best way is to equip a vehicle for towing four wheels down. At least four times I have had to back Black Beauty out of bad situations: dead end on narrow road, 12 foot clearance Black Beauty needs 13 feet, getting blocked in a parking lot, you get the idea, I had to back about 1/8 mile from that low bridge. We just unhooked the toad folded the hitch and backed out, what would have happened with a car on a trailer. Earlier I mentioned the diagonal bath, I have never seen another like it. It gives the room of a walk through bath with the privacy of a side bath. Also a walk through bath on a coach like this gives the feeling of being in a shoe box, long and narrow, the diagonal bath breaks that up. I don't know if that was Gunners idea or if Barth came up with that in their last days, Gunner if you are still following this site feel free to comment.

Posts: 19 | Location: Iowa | Member Since: 12-12-2008Report This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Wow, I have seen this coach and Morris takes good care of stuff.

This has to be one of the best deals I've ever seen on this site! Later model Monarch, Cummins/Allison, good condition. Thumbs Up

Buyers should consider this one seriously. A driveaway coach. As a fellow Monarch driver I know the buyer will be pleased. Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Report This Post
Picture of Gerry Dale Layne
posted Hide Post
What is your contact info? I am interested in your barth.
Dale Layne 931-235-8500

Posts: 8 | Location: Coalmont, Tennessee | Member Since: 04-08-2018Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 01/08
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
I Agree with Steve. We have a 97 38 Monarch and love it.

Ed

Posts: 357 | Location: Ortona- Turkey Creek Florida | Member Since: 10-04-2004Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted Hide Post
Kevin do you have pictures of this Barth?

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Would love to get more pics We are very interested! Thanks

Posts: 1 | Location: Florida | Member Since: 03-10-2018Report This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...773930067#7773930067

quote: ... 1996 Barth Monarch spec sheet.

See attachment at the bottom of this post.

1996 Monarch Spec Sheet.

-----------

Barth Monarchs photos:

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...301042161#4301042161

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2584 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Report This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
BTW those Monarch specs are not consistent with my coach:

Overall height with AC is 12'4" (not 11' 4").
Inside headroom is 80" (Not 78")

Outside width is 102" (not 96"). Inside width is 96" (not 92")

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of MichaelR
posted Hide Post
That’s a sharp lookin’ Breakaway XL in those pics. Smiler

Posts: 173 | Location: Greeneville TN | Member Since: 05-11-2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Would it be possible for you to provide current/detailed photos of the Barth you have for sale? I am interested and need up to date info/photos so I can make an informed decision.

Thank you,

Clicking on links to previous sales and photos from other members showing an item NOT owned by them or currently in their possession doesn't seem relevant. BTW, (imo) it doesn't meet the criteria required by this site to post in the coaches for sale section. Unless there are exceptions I'm unaware of..........

Sorry about the rant if it's perceived that way.. D'oh

Posts: 6 | Location: US of A | Member Since: 02-07-2017Report This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Oops wrong photos. Deleted. Sorry

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/11
Picture of Morris
posted Hide Post
Black Beauty has sold, I was wanting to find someone who would know how to drive her and care for her as Gunner and I did. I believe I have, another Forum member who has experience with a Barth coach. They may post about the sale if they wish.

Posts: 19 | Location: Iowa | Member Since: 12-12-2008Report This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Clicking on links to previous sales and photos

As I am the only guy who has posted links about this type coach on this posting my only defense is that is to let inquiring minds discover, in general terms, what the subject is all about in dimensions and photos Smiler
And (...if later on) should someone also wonder this might help....

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2584 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Smiley:
quote:
Clicking on links to previous sales and photos

As I am the only guy who has posted links about this type coach on this posting my only defense is that is to let inquiring minds discover, in general terms, what the subject is all about in dimensions and photos Smiler And later on should someone also wonder this might help....

Doug I love that you put those links. I could have looked and searched myself and found that info but my time is in short supply. Keep it up! Thumbs Up I find value in the information you share. Thanks

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1383 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Report This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Morris:
Black Beauty has sold, I was wanting to find someone who would know how to drive her and care for her as Gunner and I did. I believe I have, another Forum member who has experience with a Barth coach. They may post about the sale if they wish.

I knew this one would go fast! Glad to hear a member got it and we'll keep it in the Barthmobile family. Thumbs Up

Doug, thanks for the help with the information links. They can save search time for useful general information. Smiler

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp