Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
1974 19' Class C Barth
 Login now/Join our community

posted Hide Post
Thank you, Kevin, and thanks again for all of your help.

Posts: 11 | Location: Florida | Member Since: 07-25-2017Report This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
At the request of Jim and Terr, Suzie and I went to see this coach last Sunday. I gave Jim my report on it but don't know what he decided so I don't want to say much more until he's made a decision.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Dan, go ahead and give everyone your report. This is as good a Barth of this vintage and style as you're going to find.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Report This Post
Picture of Tom & Suzie
posted Hide Post
8/9/17
Krista Hand, Per my earlier in day phone call & email via my gmail to yours...will also make contact via Barth site too... hopefully. Please see more long winded note re: our interest in your parents Barth Class C. Appreciate it. Thank you.
Tom & Suzie Asheville, NC area

Posts: 7 | Location: Asheville, NC. | Member Since: 04-02-2011Report This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
As I said, I looked at this coach Sunday.
The roof is coated and clean. The van body is in pretty good shape but the paint is shot. Quite a bit of surface rust where the paint is worn off but no bubbles or holes. I didn't see anything that can't be sanded off, just a few very minor dents. The windshield has a crack on the lower passenger side. The rest of the glass looks good, and I saw no signs of leaking. The ceiling looks very good except where a branch poked a hole some time ago. This was repaired with a piece of aluminum and rivets and sealer and appeared dry. Inside the coach is very clean, no odors, and the upholstery is as good as it looks in the pix. The old carpeting is worn and IMHO kind of ugly. The front seats are just van seats, but in pretty good shape. The roof air is also heat and blows ice-cold. It was well into the 90s and the coach was nice and comfortable. The dash air doesn't work. The rear bath is all plastic and nice and clean, with a stand up shower on the sink side and a relatively new toilet. The Generac 4000 started right up, and ran surprisingly quiet. The fridge is 110-12 volt and he said it works fine. Underneath the coach looks nice and clean, no rust anywhere I could see, and the exhaust looks pretty new. The 350 started right up, and was smooth and quiet. The oil was a tad dark but clear, and the tranny fluid was clean with no odor. Driving it is a pleasure, I took my hands off the wheel and hit the brakes and it stayed in a perfectly straight line.
The only thing I could find that would have to be addressed immediately is the tires are SHOT! They are 16.5 x 8.
My overall assessment is this is a good solid coach for it's age and it would make a great project if one wanted to put a paint job and-or polish the coach body. I could tell it has been well taken care of and lightly used, with 58000 miles on the odo, and has been in this family for most of it's life, parked in a barn until recently, and I doubt it's ever seen road salt. With a new set of tires I would feel comfortable driving it anywhere.
If I missed anything let me know and I'll add it.

79 Barth Classic

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
My earlier guess posted on page one is under value after reading the inspection report above from Danny Z. With Danny submitting first hand information there is sure to be several Barth Purveyor's who would like to own this Chevrolet Barth Time Capsule.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/17
posted Hide Post
Having faith in the report by Danny Z i knew this was the coach for me so i offered $ 5000 all cash paid in full upfront by wire transfer on Saturday to their local PNC bank from my PNC bank in Delaware. Very risky for me for sure but when you see what you want you go for it. No risk for the seller as they get paid before i even leave Philadelphia and fly to Tampa. But i wasn't first in line so i had to wait. Perhaps my over-zealous pursuit of my first Barth did me in.
Krista told me today its sold to someone else. Congratulations to the lucky couple. Keep me in mind if you ever want to sell. Thanks Krista for the opportunity.
So I'm back on my quest for a Class C if anyone knows of one.

Posts: 3 | Location: wilmington DE | Member Since: 08-06-2017Report This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I don't think you were too far off Kevin. To someone who is looking for an old coach to use for a hunting cabin or such, with no knowledge of what a Barth is, this would have been a 2 grand coach at most. Being what it is, with all the documents and history, I could see it going for 6 or better if the bidders came to see it.
Larry, too bad you couldn't put it together this time, it would have been a fine coach for you.
Now the big question is who got this thing?

79 Barth Classic

posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the assistance and input. The coach is currently "pending sale" with a very serious buyer. We were hoping the deal would have been completed yesterday/this morning, but the gentleman had some hiccups with the logistics of travel. I will update once it's officially been sold. If the new buyer would like, he can make himself known.

Thanks, again!

Posts: 11 | Location: Florida | Member Since: 07-25-2017Report This Post