Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
1985 Barth Regal
 Login now/Join our community

posted
We purchased this 32 ft. 1985 Barth Regal in September 2007, and drove it from Maryland to Harrisonburg, in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia (over 200 miles) and parked it at an RV mechanic’s lot. It drove very well. It has not moved since then, because we told the mechanic we were in no hurry for the minor repairs we asked for. This coach has fewer than 52,000 miles on a Chevy 454 engine. Known issues which we thought needed attention are that its ignition switch does not always engage properly, it has an exhaust leak, needs an oil change and tune up, and the new tires we bought have not yet been installed. Some of the outer compartment doors need latches and locks.

When we purchased this Barth, the owner claimed that everything worked, but we have not tried any of the mechanicals. The coach has a tag axle, air suspension, levelers, large refrigerator, fold-out couch, toilet, two sinks (no shower), two air conditioners, Alcoa wheels, large generator, and awning. All the tires that were on it when we bought it (except one) are in really good condition. (We later bought new tires for it that are not installed. We bought 4 of them because we thought they were a good price.) Vehicle does not appear to have any leaks. We have the book with Barth specs and manuals for the mechanicals.

This was formerly a police vehicle. The previous owner bought it from the police and did some interior work on it, but it remains a project. We were going to gut it and do a make-over, but Lin has since been diagnosed with ovarian cancer, and Jack is also having some health problems. This is not a good time for us to start such a project. Below is a list of what we have invested.

We are prepared to accept a reasonable offer from someone who is wishes to come and get this Barth.

Purchase of 1985 Barth on Ebay Vin #: 1GBKP37WXF3305100
$3851

New driver’s side Windshield (shipped from Florida) $783

4 new Longmarch Tires 8R19.5 (Shipped from Chicago) $687

Total investment so far: $5321

(We have receipts for all of the above.)

My name is Jack Presbury
phone: 1-540-885-4264
emails: presbujh@msn.com
presbujh@jmu.edu

Posts: 4 | Location: Virginia | Member Since: 02-23-2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Bill. I will email photos and information on this Barth. We are disappointed that we need to sell it, and hope it goes to a good home.

Jack and Lin

posted Hide Post
We are needing to sell this Barth soon. If there is no interest, we will consider giving it to our public radio station and taking the tax deduction next year. Our only worry is that they may--as they say in Virginia--"part it out." With a good engine and aluminum body and wheels, they could probably get a good price for it as parts. We would rather see some Barth lover take it off our hands and preserve it. If you would like to give us $3900 and come to get it, it's yours.
P.S. The color blotches in the photos are not on the Barth, but resulted in trying to get the photos up on our paint program.

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack and Lin:
The color blotches in the photos are not on the Barth, but resulted in trying to get the photos up on our paint program.
Take some more pictures and send them to me without trying to use your programs. I'll edit them and place them back on the site. Your best bet is to show some good pictures...
quote:
Originally posted by Jack and Lin:
If there is no interest, we will consider giving it to our public radio station and taking the tax deduction next year.
Keep in mind, like you said, you wouldn't get the "Tax Deduction" until next year. If that is your plan, consider holding onto it for a little longer for a possible future sale. You can't sell it if it's been donated already. Frowner

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Gee I hope someone gets this, I would hate to see this diamond in the rough go to waste. I already have 2 motorhomes and a travel trailer or it would be on its way to Tennessee.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I am grateful for the supportive messages that we have received from Barthmobile members, especially Matt and Bill.

One last try: How about if I keep the tires I bought and sell them separately? Someone who is interested could then have this Barth for $2500.

If there is no interest by the end of the month, I will offer it to my NPR station.

Thanks, Jack

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
posted Hide Post
My wife and I are going to try to visit the Barth in the next week, if anyone has something in particular they would like a photo of please post a note.

I have too many projects right now but........

Doug Bywaters
Near Skyline Drive Virginia!

Posts: 101 | Location: Flint Hill VA | Member Since: 09-29-2006Report This Post
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Jack, I have sent you a Private Message, Bywaters I would appreciate any info from you as I can't make the trip to see it at this time.

Mary

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Mary and others, I visited the 85 Barth today in Harrisonburg. Jack met my wife and I at the garage where it is parked. I took a TON of photos, only to arrive home and corrupt my memory card when loading it into my PC (argh!) I had this same thing happen on Tuesday night, I feel like throwing the camera away...but too much is invested.

The Barth is a perfect platform for a total upgrade. There is a soft spot in the floor outside the bathroom door so there will be floor work needed. The dash is ok shape, but in need of updating. It is obviously an ex-command vehicle, and came equipped with two generators. The primary generator had been removed, but the 7kW onan is still there. It is 12’ tall, without roof rack or ladder. The two A/C units look ok, but there was no power to test. The unit has been sitting since September, so the batteries are dead. The rear door is wider, probably 30”, maybe 36” wide. Front door is standard width. The Toilet and sink is located right behind the driver, followed by a closet, Fridge and couch with home owner oak cabinets above. The Passenger side has a cabinet next to the front entry door followed by a considerable amount of counter space.
The rear of the coach is vacant space right now. There is an electrical box enclosure on the curb side right behind the rear door, electrical needs some serious work. I believe the two generators originally tied in here some how.
There is a window in the back of the coach, but it is not a RV style window of any type I recognize.
One of the AC units must need to be resealed, there is a ceiling leak in that area. The padded ceiling is starting to come down. The roof looked really good (from the top of an adjacent camper) and only has three openings. One for the Bathroom vent, and one for each A/C unit.
The floor in this unit is practically the same height throughout, I don’t remember seeing wheel well humps like my Regal.
Mechanicals need some attention, It will need springs on the front, but this is common for a coach this old. The hoses and such need replacement. Exhaust looks good and actually exits behind the dual rear wheels. I did not hear the engine run, but I have no doubt that if it made the 200miles to Harrisonburg it would be ok for a longer ride. I did notice the steering wheel nut is loose, and the turn signal lever is bent. It has hydraulic levelers, and air horns behind the grill. It has air bags in the back, I assume for the tag axle as there are two gauges for the same. There are no bags in the front springs.
The A/C system is intact, but I would assume DOA.
There are four holes from prior “emergency lights” These could be easily patched, prior to the paint job it could really use.
Several marker lights are missing. The Rear bumper has a custom cut-out for the receiver type hitch. The rear bumper has been welded twice, I am not sure why… There is an unusual aluminum frame on both sides of the unit, I guess the frame was intended to house a poster or advertisement of some sort.

The neat thing about the Barth is that it is a fantastic starting point for a full renovation. In my opinion it is best suited for someone interested in gutting it to the skin and designing an entirely new interior. There are only a couple windows on the sides, so new windows could be added where ever needed. The window area is also flat aluminum, rather than ribbed which will make it easier to work with.

An added plus it the wonderful sheetrock job the prior owner did! There must be at least 6-8 sheets worth of wall finished and painted! Try that on your SOB!

I will be working to recover the photos from my camera, so I can post them, but it don’t look too good for that.

Doug Bywaters

Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Doug, thanks for the time and trouble you went to. It is much appreciated and will help me make the decision to buy or not to buy. The pictures would be nice but your description is adequate.

Mary

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Could you describe the condition of the Alloy Wheels for me?
Thanks

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe the wheel s would polish up pretty well. I did not spend much time looking at them, but I did not remember any pits to speak of.

Thing is I took photos of them....so I would not have to remember.

my bad

Doug Bywaters

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will be working to recover the photos from my camera, so I can post them, but it don’t look too good for that.
Here are some photos that the owner sent to me.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I was telling someone that Jack should tack another grand on the price for that couch!

I wonder what it was really used for in a prior life... Smiler

Thanks Bill, I have learned what I did wrong with my camera and I will not repeat that mistake again... until I forget..

If someone has a question please drop me a private note, I looked it over pretty good.

Doug Bywaters

Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Come on Bywaters, I'm thinkin about buying this thing, don't add to the price (although it is probably worth it) Wink. Oh yeah how is the spit & shine going on your Barth?

Mary