Forums    Barth Coaches Sold    "Dream Coach' 1994 30 foot, Breakaway CAT 250, Allison 5 Speed, L@@K 50K miles, $45K
Page 1 2 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
"Dream Coach' 1994 30 foot, Breakaway CAT 250, Allison 5 Speed, L@@K 50K miles, $45K
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted
1994 30 Foot Barth Breakaway Motorcoach [50.5K miles]

Cat 3116, 250 HP diesel; Allison MD3060 5-speed push-button automatic transmission; Gillig chassis; Steer-Safe; Pac-Brake; Air brakes with air-suspension FULL AIR RIDE; Tilt steering wheel; Hydraulic jacks [manual]; Cruise control; Tires 9R22.5; Air horns; Spotlight; Rock guard [rear]; Luggage rack [rear]; Fuel tank [100 gallons]; Propane tank [47.7 gallons [fill to 80%]]

Solar [one 110W and one 25W] with monitor unit; 7KW Kohler propane generator with run-time meter; Backup camera; two skylights; CB radio; Zip-Dee awnings [one main and three windows];

Microwave/convection oven; Three burner propane stove; Two furnaces; Two air-conditioners; CO detector; Propane leak detector; 19” television;

Misc: all engine water hoses replaced Dec 2002;

Home phone 928.717.0710 and
cell phone 928.713.8215

You have been invited to visit a photo album http://photobucket.com/albums/v70/davebowers/1994%2030%20foot%20Breakaway/

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited August 06, 2005).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Report This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
The coach is owned by a fellow named Ron Gould rlgould@commspeed.net I think Ron must have dial up. He has been sending me pictures all evening. By tomorrow I should have it all. Nice looking coach isn't it. This is, (I think) identical to Lee Merriman's coach the head of the Barth Rangers. This Allison tranny can be a 4,5 or 6 speed. The 4th is the drive gear and the 5 and 6 are overdrive gears. I don't want to write too much here or you might think for a second I know what I am talking about. But I think this is an electronic transmission and can be laptoped to 6 speeds. I believe however that this is the same tranny coupled with the new Chevy 8.1 L gas engine.

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited August 01, 2005).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I am going to guess the W.B. is 160". Heck my Buick is 143" and that my friends is NO STRETCH.

Dave, you could be right on it being like Lee's. I have been in Lee's coach and walked around such and sure don't recall it being so short of W.B. Lee's coach does look BRAND NEW, for sure.

Dale

[This message has been edited by Smith Brother (edited August 01, 2005).]

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Report This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Earlier this year, in https://www.barthmobile.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000470.html

Dave said......... "Chances are that if a 30 foot owner out there were to measure his wheel base it is 242 inches"

And Sniboy said ........"the factory paperwork I have says the 28' Breakaway (spartan/Cummins) is on a 145' wheelbase and the 30' is on a 172' wheelbase."

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Report This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Using the old scale ruler on the side view in the 3/16 scale, the wheelbase comes out to 14 feet and maybe 5 inches. Not exact by any means, but pretty close. [ Don't go hunting for the calculator, that's 173 inches].

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with bill h., and Dan it is in the 170" range. I didn't use my scale rule, but a regular ruler and there is NO WAY IT IS 200" plus.

Must be on a Gillig airport people hauler chassis, or the likes. Avis uses a lot of Gillig's and looks like that is a possibilty. They need to make sharp turns.

Dale

Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Even at that it is a 48% ratio, taking in consideration that the Gillig is probably all air ride. By the way this same year Country Coach was building a 32 foot on a Gillig Chassis.

------------------

1st month member
posted Hide Post
Is this a side or rear radiator?

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave, you say 48%, is there a percentage that some say is ideal? I can asure you there are times I wish ours was shorter. Our coach is from bumper to bumper 468" and W.B. is 262",or near such, so W.B. is 56% of total length.

Dale

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Wheelbase - Schmeelbase......I HAVE to have this unit! Money is no object!

P.S. For Sale - First born grandchild, 6 months - still trainable....Answers to "Raegan".....I'll take $48k and even throw in a brand new stroller......

P.P.S. Don't tell the parents - they don't know that Grampa is horse tradin' again....

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Lee, do you have a REPUTATION for being a TRADER?

Our little one is nearly 8 now, and what a WONDERFUL young lady she is. We have help nuture her since the minute she came into this world, she is not SPOILED, and KNOWS she is LOVED. She won the spelling bee in first grade this year and didn't want school to end for summer break. She told me just today that it is driving her crazy that she doen't know who her next teacher will be. 15 days until school starts, she told me this morning.

She like the Barth too, and why not.

Dale

P.S. Oh, I was not implying it might ride rough, just saying it has a very short wheel base, good for turning, but may drag on some drive ramps. I am sure it rides just fine. I kind of envy the W.B.

[This message has been edited by Smith Brother (edited August 02, 2005).]

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post

https://www.barthmobile.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000048.html

"All Breakways were built on Sparton chassis"

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The steering column and wheel has the look of a Gillig, but I have never compared such with other chassis's.

Dale

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
OK Dave & Dale - Ya convinced me to keep the grandkid, if for nothin' else than to spoil her rotten and get my sweet revenge

Takin' a Breakaway to the Nat'l. Punkin-Chunkin championship?....THAT would be an experience! When I go, even my 27 year old 24 footer sticks out like a Prevost in an ocean of pup-tents & pickup campers. Quite a few of the good ole boys come over to kick my tires and "check-out the Barf"...Wanna see if there's room in there for the old lady and four coon dogs, maybe the goat......

But Breakaway or not, ya really should attend a Punkin-Chunkin.....Ya may leave with a few new tattoos and a hankerin' for Skoal, but you'll have a blast! Lookin' at their home-grown chunkin machines makes ya wonder why NASA doesn't put'em on the payroll.......

Signing-off now, before the Thread-Drift Police move in.......

Lee
Wash. DC
Future Breakaway Owner

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Report This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Just an unasked for opinion from a guy who limps around in a 24 year old glassnose. The front view of this coach is classic Barth. As for the rest of it, it could just as well be a Bagle bus or Georgie boy. The interior woodwork is that tastless pecan or pickled or whatever they are calling unnatural looking stuff today. Every low dollar coach on Ebay sports the same look. The short wheelbase might make it good for running around in the city but that's not what I do with my coach. The front door passenger side remains a mystery to me, as in "why not somewhere amidships?" This being said, if I was in the hunt for a coach of this size and profile, I'd beat down the doors to get to this one. Make sense? Heck no, I'm a Barth lover!

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Report This Post