IL. 1991 Barth Breakaway 28'
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickklewis:
Is a toad doable?

A while back, we test drove a couple of stated 160 hp coaches, and a couple more that I believe were actually 160 hp, but were claimed higher (which is common). Lake Woebegone. Smiler I ruled them out because they did not seem to have enough power to pull my 4WD toad up the 6% grades that are common in CA.

However, a really light toad could be a possibility. I think the final choice would have to be made with an actual tow test, as each of us has different thresholds for "How Much Power is Enough?"

BTW, horsepower ratings are less indicative of predicting climbing ability than torque. Does anyone have torque figures for the different models of 5.9 engines?

There is a horsepower limitation on the 4 speed Allison tranny.

FWIW, I don't know anyone who bought a second 5.9, although the recent versions are fairly powerful.

How about an engine/trans transplant from a wrecked pickup? A bit of a project, but a Barth is a coach you can keep forever.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Bill
The Spartan/Cummins book we have lists only the Cummins 6BTA5.9 with 180 hp @ 2400 rpms and 445 ft. lb. torque @ 1700 rpm
That would be in 1990 of course. The later ones were much more powerful.
Don
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
BTW, horsepower ratings are less indicative of predicting climbing ability than torque. Does anyone have torque figures for the different models of 5.9 engines?

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Report This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Just received an email from this member.
quote:
Bill,
Appreciate all your help in our quest to sell our Barth. We are leaving town for the winter and are removing the Barth from the market until spring. If you would, please remove our ad. Thanks for your generosity. Will be in touch next spring.
Regards,
Rose Schroeder

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Report This Post