Search
Notify
Tools
IL. 1991 Barth Breakaway 28'
 Login now/Join our community

posted
1991 Barth Breakaway 28' Diesel Pusher

Long time member - 3rd time poster.

Cummins 6BT 5.9 160HP turbo charged diesel, Allison AT542 4 speed automatic transmission, Spartan EC2000 chassis, air over hydraulic brakes, GVWR 15.700 lbs., 76,000 miles, 4.0 Kohler LP generator with remote start, fuel - 40 gal., LP - 24 gal., fresh water - 46 gal., holding (separate black and grey) - 56 gal. total, ZipDee awnings, good tires, good batteries, solid wood cabinetry/interior, Cobra CB, front entry, queen bed, pull-out sofa, bath with separate shower, microwave/convection oven, Norcold 10 cu. ft. three-way fridge w/ top freezer, RCA 13" AC/DC built-in TV, double stainless steel sink, 2-burner recessed LP range, fully adjustable cockpit seats, Sony 4 speaker stereo/cd player, HWH hydraulic leveling system, roof mount 13,500 BTU air conditioner with heat strip, 5 gal. LP water heater, 3 Roof fans. Runs great. Works great.

Lots of interior storage. Have manuals and records. The exterior maroon paint clear coat is starting to peel. The dash air does not work. Call xxx.xxx.xxxx

Located in Collinsville, IL 62234

Posts: 3 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 07-03-2001Report This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Where's all the chatter about this coach. He's put together a very nice ad and is offering what a bunch of folks have recently been pursuing, yet it's been well over 12 hours and not a word! I don't remember seeing this one before, but I really like it. The bed sideways in the back is different, but overall it looks like a nice classic Barth.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3477 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
...Funny you mentioned that Danny.....A couple minutes after looking at this ad I was on the phone to the $$man to check on the status of some mutual funds.....Unfortunately, right now it would cost me about 185 cents on the dollar Frowner

Shoot!...I wanted to be a player too.....

....'Course, maybe if it came to the DC-GTG, I'd fall in love with it & do something irrational
Smiler

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Report This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I like the ad. Honest horsepower, floor plan, data plate.

One of the best ads ever.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Lee, there might be an argument that some, if not most, Barthers are irrational--certainly those that love polishing old aluminum. Big Grin
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Report This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
Barthers are irrational. Big Grin
Jim

A love of classic machinery is not irrational.

I have found people with hobbies (of any kind) much more rational than those without.

Having spent 40 years at the same employer and living in the same house, I have known a lot of retired folks, and, to a man, the ones with hobbies and a sense of humor lived longer and better.

So, being a rational person, I would posit that owning a Barth makes us healthier, happer and all-round better adjusted people. Our kids are smarter, our dogs mind, our lawns are weed-free, and telemarketers never call us.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted Hide Post
My wife sure likes it. She wants something a little bigger and this would be ideal. If only the economy were better....I would follow Mary Ray's lead and have two.

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Report This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Bill, it's the others that think we're irrational. I for one have never done anything irrational, including marrying a woman 20 years younger than I am. In fact, I thought it was kind of smart, as in intelligent.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Report This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
This is one of those times that all the rules were followed. I love an honest and well thought out ad. Thank you for that. Thumbs Up

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Report This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Now we have some chattering going on with this coach, so I'm going to ask about the undercarriage. How's the rust situation in the wheel wells, lower compartments, etc? I only ask this because some of the past Northern coaches looked great on film but turned out to be rust buckets in real life. The seller seems to be very honest so perhaps some underside photos wouldn't be a bad idea.
I really like this coach and if everything checks out I know somebody here will wind up with it.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3477 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Report This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Wondered if this is similar to Rusty's Breakaway? If so, the basement storage is a little bit better which is always a plus. Also, would be good to know the wheelbase.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Jim, I checked a couple VIN decoders and didn't find the wheel base. Basement doors don't look like Rusty's. Don't think they had the big doors til 1994.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Wheelbase is 146". Mine's the prototype for the raised floor with better basement storage. The pre-'94 28 and 30' Breakways had very little basement storage. Don't know about the 32'/33'.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
My '93 30' Breakaway has a large compartment on each side of it for basement storage. It was one of the features that made the deal when purchasing it.

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Is 160hp enough to get this nice-looking coach over, say Eisenhower pass from the West? What's involved with getting more from it, and at what costs. Is a toad doable?

I like the size, layout and idea of this rig, but am wondering about using it in the high country.

Rick, a WTB

Posts: 15 | Location: portland, oregon, usa | Member Since: 11-13-2003Report This Post