Search
Notify
Tools
25ft Barth Regal
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of benebob
posted
My daughter has grown out of camping so our Barth will not get enough use for the next 5 years to warrant holding onto her.
1986 Barth Regal 25ft Chevy P30 Chassis with 454
138k on it, Full sized bed, original Kohler 4500w gen. (could use a tune up and carb adjustment), New house batteries last year, engine battery the year before, 1 rooftop ac with a new cover 2 years ago, works great, Dash AC works fine as well, previous owner had the entire system rebuilt the year before I bought it in 2016.

Runs good but does leak a bit of oil but I was running 10w30 full sythetic for the time I owned her, switched back to conventional 20w-50 on the last oil change and that seems to have resolved the leaks for the most part. Engine does have the banks power pack and howard power center steering. Plugs, cap, rotor, clutch fan, coolant, front wheel bearings, a front hub, one rear wheel bearing, fuel pump and belts,were replaced in the past 20k. The transmission was rebuilt around 90k. Until it is warmed up (a few miles driving it doesn't like to shift into 3rd. Have been told by some with knowledge of the tranny is that it is very sensitive to vac pressure and with the banks the engine likely isn't making enough vac to keep it in 3rd until it has warmed up. Fluid has been changed a few times under my ownership and it doesn't slip or have issues once warmed up. Coach is in nice shape for its age and looks great from 10 feet away. Was repainted in 91 by a previous owner and there are some areas where the paint is separating from the aluminum skin. Interior is in great shape. Everything works aside from a mtn tamer engine brake, the level sender for the propane and the trip meter (odometer works fine but the trip meter button doesn't work). Starter was replaced a few years back on a trip but has been problematic at times. Starter works great but the wiring has a habit of loosening and then getting too close to the headers and burning thru. I have yet to figure out a proper solution but the cables themselves are pretty new. I would think at this point the ideal redesign would be to move the solenoid to a location on the chassis. After replacing the one leaf spring last fall I noticed the rear brake was hanging on a bit at a start. I haven't looked into it yet but think it may be from when my mechanic replaced the rear bearing and seals on the drivers side for inspection last year not adjusting the e brake properly or maybe a spring issue on the drum. Again, once the weather turns favorable I plan to get the other leaf on and will look into the issue unless it sells prior to then.

We did have an issue in the fall coming back from Maine where the one rear inner tire began rubbing the chassis. I have bought and installed one new leaf spring (slightly higher rating) but haven't yet installed the otherside as winter happened. It would come with it if I haven't gotten to it prior to the sale. Also I do have replacement LED marker lights that come with it as there have been some really minor leaks around the marker lights at times and they are quite aged so some new buetyal tape and new lights make sense, I just haven't gotten to the project. The windshield does have some clouding around the edges but no cracks, one chip that had been filled prior to our ownership. Never noticed any leaks aroundt he windows but a previous owner did use some caulk around a few at some point. Not exactly attractive. The roof looks to have been redone at some point and no leaks of note aside from an occational leak around the front vent that I haven't tracked down, would probably be solved with a removal and new tape sealing around the vent.

Interior is in very good mostly original condition. Does have 2 flat screen TVs/DVDs installed but the cable wiring to them needs some work. I think I used the wrong coax as they are very snowy. We rarely used so I haven't investigated the issue. Has HJW self leveling jacks with new as of last year soft lines to all 4 jacks. The vehicle is very much rust free as it spent most of its life in the South and West. The outriggers do have some surface rust in spots but nothing bad for a Barth and certainly nothing that would be an issue in the near future. Tires all have good tread, no cracks (one was replaced last year after the rubbing issue).

We are looking to get $5k for her. Very solid great looking vintage coach we have taken across country on a 15k 55 day trip and wouldn't hesitate to do again. Does come pretty much turn key with pots pans dishes, basic tool kit, if desired a 600lbs motorcycle hitch mount which worked well taking our 475lbs toad across country. Will post pics up soon or feel free to ask for more info or pics. I am a more than honest seller and hope to find the right home for this coach rather than a quick sale. Located in Lancaster, PA

Posts: 218 | Location: Lancaster, PA | Member Since: 09-06-2016Report This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good coach and a good price too.
I suspect you are correct about the 3rd gear shift issue. FWIW this is likely a problem with the vacuum modulator. They are not expensive and are easy to change. There are replacements available that are adjustable to allow the upshift sooner or later as needed.
Good luck with the coach sale. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi I’m Interested in your Barth regal I would love to see more pictures I see you stated you’re sending them soon. Thanks

Posts: 38 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 03-21-2019Report This Post
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
Lulamay,
Weather is a bit soggy here today and I hope to get some general pics taken maybe this weekend or early next week. Do you have any thing specific you would like to see? If so let me know and I will be sure to get those as well as general pics.

Oh and Steve, yeah the vac modulator is likely the cause. I've played with it as mine is adjustable but I'm not a Chevy guy and hate throwing parts at something and simply don't know what color to order. It has a red/black stripe on it now but I get confused by red, green, red/black etc choices. It had never really been an issue for us as it always goes in fine once warmed up a bit.
Ben

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Benebob,, So sorry to hear you are selling your Barth, you know I have always been in envy of it, someone is going to get a great machine...unless I steal the wheels!!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for getting back to me , silly enough the color scheme.
On the outside can’t tell wether purple or black is with the white.
The colors inside as well . Thank you .

Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
The color scheme is a bit odd, I don't think it was original as there are some paint chips on the grille that don't match but it is a brownish/black, grey silver and white mix. Did get to see one that is painted the same last year at Doorman's gathering. Ours is like the mini me to that one. Smiler Will get pics posted soon.

posted Hide Post
Thanks, I have only recently discovered the barth Motorhome. I’m truly smitten. Thanks for getting back to me.

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
In 1985 and 1986 Barth used this paint scheme. This is the 86 33 ft Regal I used to own, now owned by Barth-Vader.

This scheme was used with shades of blue, shades of green, and also gray and black on various coaches. IMHO it was ahead of its time. One of my favorite early paint schemes.

Bob's is a shorter version of this one.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Have had a chance to check this coach out at the GTG in Spring Valley I would say this is a great coach for a great price. Won't last long at this price. Has a nice floor plan and has been well kept.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/17
Picture of Janet Rocco
posted Hide Post
I’m interested as well. Looking forward to seeing pics.

Posts: 43 | Location: Tampa, FL | Member Since: 12-27-2016Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
I liked the paint scheme of your Regal Benebob, always thought if I ever repainted the Nose I would copy it, I also think it was not original. I thought I had a picture from the Ohio GTG, however I can not find it.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Report This Post
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
Some general pics can be seen at my photobucket site. Link should be good I think. I know that everyone here would be coming from a distance so I am more than happy to talk with you, email, give as much info as possible so as to not waste anyone's time. I haven't listed it anywhere local yet and won't for a few more weeks if anyone has serious interest here. One other thing of note the electric mirrors don't work but can be adjusted via a allen screw.

http://s185.photobucket.com/us.../Barth?sort=3&page=1

posted Hide Post
I just saw your photos on the porthole , it seems very cozy and I like the darker colors myself so that’s what mattered. On the outside that’s all paint? Is that current condition of the paint? Is there any skin of body damage?
It is very nice ! Thank you

Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
That is the "worst" spots of the paint. All pics are on the pass side rear behind the door. I am pretty sure there is also a couple spots drivers side by the mirror where the paint is bubbled. Basically where the aluminum wasn't properly treated or has oxidized a bit below the paint. I would suspect a good color matching and a decent painter could fix it all up for less than $1000. As for other exterior damage. Everything is quite solid. A couple small scrapes or dings from previous owners but nothing major at all.