Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
VA. 1984 Regal 28'
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
posted
It is with a heavy heart that I must submit my 1984 Regal for sale. I have owned it for a little over a year, saving it from a life of neglect and abuse. It is not the fault of its nimble 28 foot aluminum frame or P30 Chassis that I must part with it. The real reason is the need for space, living space, space for a grandchild not foreseen in our wildest dreams. I searched, and seriously considered another Barth over 200 miles away as the answer to our dilemma, but that coach floor plan did not meet our needs either. On the day I was to visit the “other Barth”, I found a SOB that appeared to meet both our needs and financial ability to pay for. I knew that introducing my better half to the SOB would be the end” of Doug’s Barth ownership (for now) .
Allow me to tell you about my Barth, I have a post in the Barth upgrade forum, with a link to the following web site, http://s163.photobucket.com/al...?albumview=slideshow

Which has photos of the interior and exterior, although the best is under the skin as I have re-wired the majority of the coach, moving the fuse panel to an accessible location behind the grill. I used 30 amp relays for several circuits rather than relying on the dash switch to carry the load. The Dash has large “modern” switches for all features currently installed, plus spare capacity for future. I wired the Dash wired so that it could be removed from the coach easily by disconnecting two multi conductor connectors. I worked tirelessly to remove every stinking butt splice I could find, and there were many. All connections were soldered and sealed with shrink tube, exterior connections were also scotch coated prior the tube installation. The shore line was converted to the marine grade cord (yellow) with connector mounted on the outside of the coach, I prefer this to stuffing the cable in a compartment. I fabricated a custom gauge mount for three pressure gauges, one for the front and individual gauges for each rear bag, there is also a Cadillac air compressor located behind the grill to provide air for the air bags (and it pumps up real quick). There is a new smog pump, but my intention was to remove it and the A/C compressor. All belts and hoses were changed last year as were all rubber brake lines. The master cylinder is a new-rebuilt unit. I installed a frame mounted fuel booster pump to push fuel to the mechanical pump, this really seems to help as the tank has no sump. New rubber fuel lines were installed throughout, and the very large genuine spin on Fuel filter/water separator was relocated outside of the frame rail rather than inches from the drive shaft. Of course all filters are new, the carburetor rebuilt and transmission fluid changed and flushed.
The best part (IMHO) is the Chevrolet power leather buckets, firmly mounted to the floor using heavy aluminum reinforcements under the floor. The H&H leveling jacks are operational as is the indicator light assembly. I lowered the engine cover to allow easier entry into the driver and passenger seats. Much of the original brown/Tan vinyl has been removed and replaced with gray, as was the carpet replaced with loop pile grey carpet and padding (which I would do different if to do again).
Most of the cabinetry has been sanded and re-finished, the fridge operates all three ways, the generator generates, cook top cooks, and the water heater heats, it also sports a new tank since the prior owner left water in it. The new tank came with foam insulation.
Some of the other work includes a dinette made from auto seats, raised from the floor to allow viewing of the scenery while riding down the road by a passenger. I arranged the Water storage tank to allow the storage of a spare tire under the rear bed. Most of the plumbing was re-plumbed to simplify its operation.
The largest project left is the cosmetics of the exterior. The original silver pant is about gone leaving a course finish. I intended to strip and paint this year, but the SOB will be in the way. There remains work on the inside too; I have the original jack knife couch that may be re-mounted behind the passenger’s seat. I have spent many hours working on the Barth, and I admit I enjoyed myself. I know almost every nut and bolt through out, which is comforting driving a 20-year-old house on wheels. The Barth is available for test rides, you will be impressed how nimble it is. The safe steer springs make it hold the road very well, the new Henderson drag link keeps the road feel as solid as a rock. The wheelbase is the same as my 93 Chevy Crew cab truck. BTW, the tires are good, coated with that black paint stuff that Camping World sells. I also sanded and painted all six wheels, although covered by the wheel master chrome covers, which are in very good shape. I will not make a dime selling the Barth in the parts I replaced alone. I plan to advertise for $9k to see what the market will bare and see where it goes from there. If interested, PM me or visit my web site www.dougsgift.com there is a link with my email someplace on that site.
email at xxxxxxxxxxxx

I still plan on making the barth get together in September, Mary has my back!

8309-3033-28FP2

Doug Bywaters
Near Skyline Drive Virginia!

Posts: 101 | Location: Flint Hill VA | Member Since: 09-29-2006Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/09
Picture of Lorelei
posted Hide Post
Have been to the link listed on the Barthmobile site, but there is no way to contact Doug. Maybe
Doug's gift is that he doesn't need to respond to any emails about the Regal he was reluctant to sell. Maybe I'm daft, but if anybody has any info about how to contact I'd appreciate it, and thanks in advance.

Posts: 38 | Location: Point Arena, CA | Member Since: 06-03-2008Report This Post
Picture of Dalton
posted Hide Post
email @
quote:
dougsgift(at)comcast.net

Have you tried his email . Dont know if it works but it in this post

Posts: 61 | Location: Calgary AB | Member Since: 04-03-2008Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
I email with Doug all the time at the comcast address and usually get an answer within a day.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not seen a note yet...maybe comcast is filtering your email, stranger things have happend.
I checked my photobucket and it works, so the photos are still there.
Give me another try!

I will go to the dougsgift website and make sure I have an email there too,

Doug

Doug Bywaters

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
We saw Doug & Athena Bywaters in WDC just a few months ago. He said it was still for sale then.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill, I met with Jim, wife and daughter this afternoon. I gave them the good and bad about an older coach to the best of my ability, and now I hope this is evidence enough for Rusty to know the elusive Bywaters Barth exist!

BTW, I have been busy changing the engine in my SOB. The ugly part is moving the assmebly rearward 4" to accomindate the allison MT643 vs the 542. I hope to have it done by Easter if global warming is kept in check..

Doug Bywaters

posted Hide Post
This Barth has been sold!

Some fine folks from South Carolina drove up to pick her up today.

Doug Bywaters

Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Congrats, how is the SOB doing?

Mary

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Report This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Doug! Thumbs Up

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Prepairing to paint it, but need to get rid of other projects first, I have my old 5th wheel on the market and a couple parked cars for sale too. Another busy summer.

Doug Bywaters

Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Good luck on the remaining projects and tell Athena and your Mom I said hi.

Mary