Notify
Tools
1987 26 foot Regal/Diesel Puller $15K OBO
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
There's a phone number in the intial post - I'd give 'em a call.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
Rusty's on the right track, I just don't know. If you find out can you let us know. I do know this coach and have been in it under previous ownership. Nice coach, I think it has a new engine..

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Report This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
It could have an 8.2 liter GM diesel which is a 500 CI engine. It was GM's answer to the 3208 Cat. Non-aspirated it produced 165HP and turbo-charged it produced 230HP. The chassis spec sheet should have this information.

Posts: 8 | Location: Santa Fe,NM | Member Since: 01-22-2001Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
I don't think so, I am possitive it is the 6.5L GM.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Report This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It would depend on when the new engine was installed - the first 6.5Ls arrived in '91, so a replacement could have been a 6.2L or 6.5L.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I spoke with the owner today and the coach is still available.
Not enough beds for a family of 5, but it would be great for a couple.
Contact # is on the first post.

Posts: 2 | Location: Central Florida | Member Since: 03-24-2007Report This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wheaties:
Not enough beds for a family of 5, but it would be great for a couple.

How about adding a gaucho bed?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I talked to the Heckelmans (coach owners) yesterday and it is still for sale. Braley told me that all works and it gets around 9-11 MPG.
It is a GM 6.2 engine. I am curious how those of you who have experience with this engine feel about the reliability. If Dave's coach doesn't work out for me and it looks like it won't, I am interested in this one if we can avoid major repairs. My Airstream had a rear end fail and that was $2000 to fix and with only 47000 miles on the E 350 chassis. I don't want to look at engine and transmission replacements on the road; especially when it is just purchased unless I buy knowing that it will have to be done. I know nothing about this engine except all the problems associated with the 5.7 that was a dismal piece of junk. I hope the 6.2 is more reliable.

Terry

Posts: 25 | Location: Lanesboro MN | Member Since: 09-01-2006Report This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I can't comment on the 6.2L (NA) engine specifically, but my Breakaway originally had a very early 6.5L TD rated at 190HP and ~380 lb.-ft. torque. The replacement AMG has 230 HP and 410 lb.-ft. The 6.2L is 155 HP; don't know the torque. In any event, the 6.2L has no relationship with the 5.7L GM crap pawned off as "diesel".

Being naturally-aspirated, it should have pretty good longevity; my early 6.5L TD didn't. Properly maintained, it's a decent (but not fantastic) engine. Don't expect the longevity of a Cummins or Cat, but 100K miles isn't unreasonable.

And to ring the Bell of Reasonable Expectations, IMHO, one should buy a used motorhome with the clear assumption another $5K minimum will have to go into it.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

posted Hide Post
Thanks Rusty,

We're basing our purchase abilities on the expectation of things needed to make it a get in and go vehicle.

Terry

Posts: 25 | Location: Lanesboro MN | Member Since: 09-01-2006Report This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
This Coach is Sold
quote:

Bill,

My coach has been sold to some special people from Texas. Thanks for your help.

Braley Heckelman

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Report This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Did it go for the asking price of $15k?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Follow up! I met Cliff (last name withheld until he joins the Barthmobile) yesterday to give what little advice I could about the coach. As might be expected it is still in good shape, solid roof, solid interior and good appliances. Started right up and ran fine with a few obvious leaks. This had sat for a year before its trip from Ohio to Houston so it may be shrunken seals. Cliff is taking it in to a local RV center here to have the generator checked - won't start from the rear switch and does not put out any power, the air bags - only one had any pressure, and the propane system - we didn't have any matches and the furnace, refrigerator and stove and water heater would not operate. We thought we smelled propane at the stove but did not push it. Has a digital Monitor in the Barth Panel above the door that did not work but the water and propane light gauges seemed fine. Pump works but the level of the holding tanks would not show any life on the panel. Could not determine the use of the digital Monitor. If anyone has ideas please post so Cliff can read them.Typical ac/heater dash problems - we discovered a seized compressor - should be a reasonable fix, though I suggested he look at a vintage air system (Vintage Air Inc, San Antonio) because it is simpler, more efficient and electric powered controls rather than vacuum. It also puts out a lot more volume of air than the GM. I used this in a SOB and it was great. It has the purple tail lights that I have seen discussed in other posts and I think a solution was offered. I advised Cliff to check. On our next meet I will ask him for the data tage data so it can be added to the database. If anyone has any advice for operating the awning please post it - the one on the coach looks much different and we were unable to lift it up and then swing it out. This coach is also unusual in that it has diesel engine, propane for appliances but a gasoline generator. (Kohler). It also has small house batteries (4). I could not find any cranking separate battery and they seemed too small for any extended use. Please post any info you might have on this. It is a 1988 25 foot with rear bed, midship bath with shower/tub on the port side and toilet vanity on the starboard. Cooking area is next to the refrigerator (3-way with freezer) of the port (Driver) side with dinette table in front of the couch between the door and the lav. Entry door is behind the passenger but not actually midships.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Report This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"small house batteries(4)..."
Did you/he check to see of they are 6-volt "Golf Cart" batteries?

2) "I could not find any cranking separate battery and they seemed too small for any extended use.
Are two "cranking" and the other two "house"? There are some unusual modifications out there.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Two were paralleled and were not golf cart type. They said RV but seemed very small. The other two apparently were also in parallel. I think they were all 12v but the tray was missing and they were placed on the compartment floor so we could not move them. They had one of those key type switches to disable them but I did not trace the various cables. They are a tight fit and I did suggest Cliff get the tray built and installed. Based on the big batteries in my Regency these seemed way too small for any RV, but as you said - lots of different configurations exist.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Report This Post