Notify
Tools
1987 26 foot Regal/Diesel Puller $15K OBO
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Report This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Dave, any way to get some details about this coach?

’84 Barth Regal 25 ‘
w/ “FRED” FRont End Diesel
Chevy 6.2 L diesel

Posts: 175 | Location: Edgewood, KY, USA | Member Since: 08-26-2002Report This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bowers:
Owner is checking, they think it is a Detroit engine, I am pretty sure it is a GM 6.2l

I believe they are the same. Detroit Diesel is a division of GM.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
For reasons known only to it, GM rebranded the 6.5L to Detroit Diesel. I don't know about the 6.5L.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Report This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
For reasons known only to it, GM rebranded the 6.5L to Detroit Diesel. I don't know about the 6.5L.

Ummmmmm...........confused here.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
After talking to Detroit Diesel today, they said the 6.5 and the 8.2 were engines GM retained after they sold Detroit Diesel to Penske. Detroit Diesel service shops will still work on them. I had the 6.5 in a '99 Trek and had no problems with it, but have read many other reports to the contrary. Maybe it has to do with engine maintenance??? Hmmmm!

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Report This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'd suspect maintenance is a core issue - the oil cap is only 7-8 qts (compare that to the Cummins or Cat!), and the transmission holds 6 or 7 qts. (transferring more heat to the radiator - which is why I put the Mag-HyTec finned aluminum pan on my 4L80E - increases capacity to 11.5 qts. and the pan contributes to cooling). This engine is also a short-stroke, producing (at least in my 6.5L TD) peak torque at 3200 RPM, compared to 13-1500 RPM for the Cummins 5.9L, so there's a lot more piston travel per mile.

A busier engine requires more conscientious care...

BTW, I found this website to be very useful, and have subscribed: http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
A quick way to add oil capacity to any engine is to install an add on dual oil filter bracket and plumb it into the oil cooler line before the oil cooler. I got mine at Jeg's auto in Columbus Ohio and at the same time got an external filter for the transmission. They both use spin on filters and I added 3 quarts capacity to the oil by using the biggest filter that fits.

2 B 1 ask 1

Posts: 4 | Location: Linden, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 01-22-2006Report This Post
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
This coach has been reduced for quick sale. The owner is eager to negotiate but only with serious buyer.. This could be a deal.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
Is $15k the original price, or the reduced price?

What can anyone offer on the benefits of a diesel puller? I've heard they are noisy and older diesels are not as effecient/powerful as the new ones found in late-model SOB pushers. Is that the same for Barths?

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Report This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Diesels are noisier than gaso engines. I have one in my Ford van, and the noise is well-suppressed - I suspect the soundproofing on a Barth would be far better. I'd also guess, as Dave's pointed out, that the engine is a 6.2L GM product. It's probably naturally aspirated, and HP would be around 150-155. Turbocharged, output would be closer to 180 HP

Besides simplicity, the main advantage is that instead of around 8 mpg with a gasser, the 6.2L should get around 10-11. It won't perform like a 5.7L gaso (180 HP) or a 7.4L (~200 HP). Quality rebuilt engines can be had for around $5,000.

While not quite as efficient as contemporary engines, they're decent, and the main inefficiency with a motorhome is rolling- and wind-resistance, regardless of what's in the engine box.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

posted Hide Post
I have the same engine in a 25 footer. Mileage has been between 11 and 14. It’s coupled to the GM 3 spd tranny. Now, imho, the tranny could use some additional cooling. I’m going to look into some of the cooling suggestions offered in this topic.

I’ve never driven a gaso, so I can not compare the noise. However, I can state that the noise is louder on hard acceleration (as you would expect) and acceptable during normal driving.

’84 Barth Regal 25 ‘
Chevy 6.2 L diesel

Posts: 175 | Location: Edgewood, KY, USA | Member Since: 08-26-2002Report This Post
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
$15K is the original price. Somebody's going to get a deal on this one.

Hey Mike, remember who used to own this coach? They were at the rally and this gentleman turned 90 there at the rally. What nice people they were. I think the husband was 90 and the wife was 89. They were in great shape and about 5'4". They took a walk every morning and it was quite a sight to see. They were always smiling and had a good thing to say to everyone.

posted Hide Post
Dave,
I had forgotten that this coach was at that rally. Thanks for reminding me. As I recall, I was excited to see another Barth coach with FrED (Front End Diesel) at the rally. The owners of this coach, at that time were great people.

Perhaps one of the reasons they were smiling and still in great shape was because they always had good things to say about others?
Mike

’84 Barth Regal 25 ‘
Chevy 6.2 L diesel

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
posted Hide Post
Dave is this coach still available? We live in central fla but would be very interested if it is still on the market

Posts: 189 | Location: South Daytona Fl | Member Since: 07-02-2006Report This Post