Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Barth goes to England
 Login now/Join our community

posted
After many years of ownership (the Barth owned me!)and many $$$ in proper care and feeding my Barth has taken off with another and is on it's way to England --- yes, England as in U.K.!

I was certain I was biting on a scam when an e-mail came from across the Atlantic stating that the writer was interested in my Barth; how much would I sell it for? Since no money or titles had changed hands, I went along with the "game".

Finally I asked for a deposit and in three days the money arrived in my (secure) bank account.

Following several exchanges in e-mails the prospective buyer, "Oliver", said he would arrive to pickup the Barth in two days. This started a frantic unloading process; I had no idea of how much stuff had been crammed into the storage compartments over all the years of use. All washed up, I do have to say it was in pristine condition for a 1988 motorhome.

Olliver arrived. I got a call and he asked me to pick him us in the center of Spokane. He would be wearing green pants, carrying a back pack and pulling a suitcase.

I found him; his description of attire was correct. He explained that he had been to six banks that morning and none would change his Pounds for Dollars. I thought in my mind, "what would I do if I were a teller and a fellow with two suitcases and green pants wanted me to give him dollars for pounds??" But after getting acquainted on our ride across the river to Coeur d'Alene we stopped at my bank and the manager (we have been friends for a long time) gladly made the exchange and put American dollars in my account. Done deal, all cash.

OIliver is one of those kinds of people that you instantly like. He has a charming personallity and is a handsome 33 years old. I noticed that the girls seemed to turn their heads where ever we went (he's single). I can honestly say that memories of the short time we spent with him will stick with us for a long time.

Oliver is driving the Barth cross country to Baltimore where it will be shipped to Englend and join just three other Barths on the British Isles. Oliver intends to travel the Isles, living in it full time.

I hope Oliver keeps us posted on this site. I explained that this site is a wealth of Barth information and that ANYTHING posted by bill h can be taken as gospel truth.

So it looks like my time as a Barth owner on Barthmobile.com are over. Thanks to all of you for a great time here on the forum and to Dave for making it all possible.

Gary & Edie
North Idaho
1988 28' P-30 454 (being shipped to England)

Posts: 138 | Location: Hayden Lake (Coeur d'Alene), ID USA | Member Since: 11-14-2003Report This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Oliver is a brave soul. I have only driven rental cars in Blighty, and I was very glad they were small. And the prettier the area, the tighter the roads.

Give him my phone, and tell him to call if he has urgent need of any advice. Tell him to leave a message, as I often have my hearing aids out and don't hear the phone or get to it in time, and end up picking it up in the middle of a message.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your kind offer, Bill. I will pass-on your # next time I talk to Oliver.

Gary & Edie
North Idaho

Posts: 138 | Location: Hayden Lake (Coeur d'Alene), ID USA | Member Since: 11-14-2003Report This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzlygiant:
After many years of ownership (the Barth owned me!)and many $$$ in proper care and feeding my Barth has taken off with another and is on it's way to England --- yes, England as in U.K.!
I thought it was a scam or something when I first posted this several months ago.
Mr Dudley goes to the US of A

Since you have sold it to the gent from over the pond I have been involved with this in a small way from England to the Docks of NYC.

It seems that Mr Dudley is/was stuck on the docks of NYC trying to get the coach back to England. He was having problems with shipping his coach because of the propane tank. The last I heard he was still stuck on the docks.

He needs to have the tank purged, cleaned and then certified that the tank is empty. I would like to know how he made out. I offered to help him remove his tank but have not heard back from him...

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Oliver phoned me yesterday just before boarding a flight to London. He has the Barth all cleared for shipping and it is awaiting the ship in an impound yard. What an adventure!!!

Gary & Edie
North Idaho

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Gary, how did the propane tank thing play out? Oliver and I spoke on the phone and he was having trouble with propane dealers being unable to do anything other than selling him propane.

I suggested plans ranging from abandoning the tank to bribery, with a few in between. I asked him to let me know, but have not heard.

The interesting thing is that the fuel tank was fine. No draining, no purging with CO, no nothing, as it was a drive on, drive off arrangement. Go figure.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Report This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
I suggested plans ranging from abandoning the tank to bribery, with a few in between...

The interesting thing is that the fuel tank was fine. No draining, no purging with CO, no nothing, as it was a drive on, drive off arrangement. Go figure.
What is the difference? What if this was labeled as being propane powered?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
It did indeed all go well and according to plan - if not a little tight on schedule as only just made my London flight.

I emptied / purged the propane cylinder, got my "certificate" and left the Regal with customs.

Thanks for your help Bill & Garry. Will write more when am over the jetlag!

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
About how much will it costs to ship it?? Is it RORO? Container? or ????

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
It cost £2,400 to ship the vehicle (Newark to Liverpool) and approx. 30% of the puchase price plus shipping cost for import duty, VAT etc.

posted Hide Post
Some of you may remember that there was a 33 ft Barth (1993 I think?) for sale on ebay many months ago. It had been talked about alot on this site and I thought about buying it but there was alot of negative feed back about it.

It was owned by a dealer in Florida.

I was asleep in a carpark near Rushmore mountain in South Dakota when I was awoken by the sound of a generator.

Grumpily I lifted my blind to see the glorious site of an aluminium riveted frame with beautiful trademark Barth paintwork only a meter away from me.

Was I still asleep, dreaming of this amazing coincidence? I hurriedly scrambled some clothes on and left the bedroom only to see a one man paparazzi show photographing the two Barth's side by side, alone in the carpark!

My new friend, with his wife and two children had bought the Barth in Florida and were headed towards Calgry - about 60 miles or so from where I had bought mine from Gary & Edie!

What an amazing coincidence. I have some photos which I will post of the two machines sitting gloriously toghether. They even tempted me into a fate I was determined never to fall for during my 3,500 mile road trip. McDonald's!!!!!

And then we went to see the 4 presidents heads in Rushmore and they continued North and me East.

The world and its magic. Love it.

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oliver:
What an amazing coincidence...

The world and its magic. Love it.
Nice. It's a small world after all.

Bill N.Y.