1998 38' barth monarch
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by truman:
Correct me if I am wrong, since I know little about MHs or this engine, but it appears to me that the kerfed belt runs the ac and the sepentine belt runs the alternator, water pump, and perhaps a hydraulic fluid pump. I would think the cam would be either gear or chain driven?
There are 2 types of belts in this picture.

The V belt runs the AC (top right) only and that is driven by the fan hub located in the center. In this case, there is no fan attached so, the proper term is hub.

The other belt is a serpentine belt and that runs, starting from the crank and going clockwise(bottom up), a water pump (left middle), an alternator (far left), a backdrive idler tensioner pulley and then the fan hub (dead center) which is located in the middle of this picture.

The bolts that you see under the AC compressor is the cover outline of the gear driven cam, accessory drive, fuel injection pump drive, and crank gear is all located under this cover. The accessory drive runs the air compressor and that in turns runs the power steering and fuel injection pump (PT pump) in most applications.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/12
Picture of ZIM
posted Hide Post
Well, if anything i liked to thank the community

barth veterans who have taken the time to help me

and others im sure,learn about the different type

of setups and engine functions of this type of

engine..i would have never thought there was a

hydraulic fan or what the accessory drive does or

what the can filters were for..this has been a

very educational thread..so thanx guys!!

ZIM

Posts: 61 | Location: Pennsylvania | Member Since: 06-17-2007Report This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Gunner,

I did move my AC radiator to the air intake door (above the radiator opening). It was a simple enough job as the wiring and hoses all reach to there. I needed to reverse the fan wires to make it spin in the opposite direction. Otherwise it was straight forward.

I now do have a final issue in relocating, or modifying, the air cleaner intake as that needs to be moved in this scenario. For the moment I simply took the intake pipe and box out as the air must still go into the air cleaner. I want to relocate higher to avert sucking water into the air cleaner for the final fix.

So far I still don't see any appreciable difference in AC to the dash, but the "cold" freon line to the front is working very, very well. I disconnected the front temp sensor one day and the coolant/heater core up front froze solid until no air could pass through. I'm now looking into how to circulate air through the core more efficiently since I know I have "cold" up there.

Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Report This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"I would think the cam would be either gear or chain driven?"
Of course you (and NY Bill) are correct and I'm wrong. I actually realized I had written without thought but couldn't get back to a computer to correct my mistake before all the world saw it. That IS a fan hub; the fact Barths don't have blades on it doesn't change that. And...Thanks Bill NY. G
"For the moment I simply took the intake pipe and box out as the air must still go into the air cleaner. I want to relocate higher to avert sucking water into the air cleaner for the final fix."
If you're talking about the intake box collecting water which then drains into the (4"-6" dia) air intake pipe I solved that problem by applying a collar or lip of silicone sealant, about 1/4" high, around the (flush-with-box) pipe inlet and drilling three 1/4" drain holes in the bottom of the box.
nb: Isn't this fun? The 1%-of-all-Barth-model-owners monopolizing the site with esoteric technical advice -some of which is incorrect!! Big Grin

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Today I had a chance to take a looksee at this coach Tom has bought. I think he'll be happy with what he's gotten. Two hours, and I could come up with only 8 items, only 3 of which need immediate attention, and none of which is a Real Problem. I've looked at about 150 motorhomes for myself and others, and this one is in the top 2. The other is StaRV II...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tom Loughney
posted Hide Post
I am speechless at the detail and depth that Rusty provided for me on his inspection. I am sure that it was more detailed that a professional inspection would have been, not meaning Rusty is not a professional, however.

I am even more excited about getting the unit.

I am going to post one of the electric problems that Rusty found on the tech questions site.

Thanks again Rusty

Tom

Tom Loughney
Barthless....

Posts: 202 | Location: Thailand  | Member Since: 03-31-2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
How do you feel about paying a little more for it?

Posts: 10 | Location: ocala fl | Member Since: 05-22-2008Report This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I keep seeing that it looks like this coach has sold. Should I move this to the Sold Forum Jeff?

Also, a side question... What does this mean?
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff P:
How do you feel about paying a little more for it?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill we are in the process of finalizing deal. I will notify you as soon as it is finished. That comment was a joke. We negotiated pretty hard and when Tom made his comment on how pleased he was of the condition. I thought it would be funny to ask.

Posts: 10 | Location: ocala fl | Member Since: 05-22-2008Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tom Loughney
posted Hide Post
Hi, Jeff told me that he got the payment for the coach today, so it should be moved to the sold area. I am happy to get the Barth, I was very close to buying a Prevost, I mean very close but rusty pointed out that all the extras on the Prevost would eventually break.

I like the Hawkins, older bluebirds and the barth which I felt were in the same category.

I also needed to buy the unit sight unseen and the help on this forum and conversations with Jeff indicated that I could do this transaction from Thailand. Jeff has been a good guy to deal with and we did go back and forth quite a bit.

Then when Rusty took the time to go and physically look at the unit, I was even happier. Sure some bits and parts to fix, but at my age that applies to me also.

I think I paid a fair price for the unit even in the down market. The prices for Prevosts are dropping like bricks. I want a unit to be reliable and comfortable that I can use 3-4 months a year for the next XX years. At least I hope it is 2X and not only 1X years.

So on to the next adventure.

Tom

Tom Loughney
Barthless....

Posts: 202 | Location: Thailand  | Member Since: 03-31-2008Report This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Loughney:
Hi, Jeff told me that he got the payment for the coach today, so it should be moved to the sold area.
Congratulations!!!

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis