Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
1990 Regency 34' Wide Body $25,500
 Login now/Join our community

posted Hide Post
If you sale doesn't work out, please contact me.
Thank you.

Posts: 7 | Location: Rochester NY | Member Since: 04-07-2017Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moisheh:
Hi Steve: You did not answer all my questions. Doe sit have an engine brake or exhaust brake. When we had our BB it used a transmission hydraulic brake. Some earlier models used an electric driveshaft brake. I was old that 3208's do not normally have either an engine brake or exhaust brake. Something to do with the design??? I noticed you have a newer 34 ft. as well. Wow 2 barths! Are you upgrading to a Cummins?

Moisheh, my coach has the cat 3208t and Allison 647 that came from the factory with an exhaust brake and works very well.

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sky> When we had our Bluebird I was told that an exhaust brake would not work on a 3208. Thanks for your report!

Posts: 60 | Location: Tucson | Member Since: 12-25-2014Report This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Being a V8 maybe the 3208 would require a brake for each bank for dual exhaust or a downstream exhaust location on a single exhaust system? hmm

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sky:

Moisheh, my coach has the cat 3208t and Allison 647 that came from the factory with an exhaust brake and works very well.
Ray, interesting you have Caterpillar 3208 turbo 250 horse power with an exhaust brake from the factory. Do you know it your Barth has the mountain brakes in the rear? Drums would be 11 inches with and have 2 pair of shoes on each wheel?

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
On some of the earlier 3208t the transmissions did not have the converter lock up and a exhaust brake could not be used. This is the best of my memory.

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I wanted to link a discussion in the Wanderlodge forum but you have to be a member. It has to do with valve spring pressure. Apparently it will work but not like say the exhaust brake on a newer 5.9 Cummins. Most in the discussion said it was not worth the expense. My ZF 5 speed had an hydraulic resistance brake. Worked like crazy but you had to watch the exhaust temp and the tranny oil temp. Both climbed instantly. That mountain brake sounds interesting. back in the 60's some busses and bus conversions had an electric brake. Expensive but worked well. We had a Clark Cortez that had horrible brakes. I threatened to get a big anvil and a rope. Just toss it out the window!!!

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moisheh:
I wanted to link a discussion in the Wanderlodge forum but you have to be a member.

Moisheh, try the link on this page to see if it will go back to your Wander Lodge Owners group.
Barthmobile members who do not belong to the Wander Lodge Owners Group, please let me know if the link is working correctly in MAHEM. It worked for me and I am not a member.
Sorry We owe respect to Steve78 to keep on the "for sale" track of his fine Barth. Sorry Steve78, I was even led off track. Sorry

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
WORKS!!!! BUT I must apologize for going off topic!

Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
Not a problem going off topic.
Any exhaust brake installation requires a heaver valve spring unless already equipped.
Otherwise the exhaust back pressure will back-up and pop the exhaust valves off their seats.

1993 34 Regency WB
8.3 Cummins 300HP

Posts: 194 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Member Since: 02-02-2016Report This Post
Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
This coach has sold and heading back to CA.
Thank you Barthmobile.

1993 34 Regency WB
8.3 Cummins 300HP

Posts: 194 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Member Since: 02-02-2016Report This Post