Search
Notify
Tools
1990 Barth (Regal?) for Sale - 31'
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
Picture of Tool Man T
posted Hide Post
Steve, Wait till you see this puppy. Almost looks like it just came out of the box!!! Diamond plate topper down to it's boots. Beautiful. Thumbs Up Tooling Along

Joel Taylor

Posts: 164 | Location: South Carolina | Member Since: 05-12-2012Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/16
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
Welcome! Pics!

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Report This Post
Picture of CXRider
posted Hide Post
Hi!
CXRider here. I'm having trouble figuring out how this site works so please bear with me as I try and work it out.
Thanks to everyone's best wishes.
I just returned form the coach and I'm even more impressed with Barth quality and build.
Oh, by the way, yes I'm the original owner and still rider of my CX500 Custom, it still looks like new ... I've not aged as well.
I'm working on the paperwork with MVD, brokers, Canada customs and my insurance company to get the Barth home. For now it will stay in Olympia inside the shop while a huge list of new replacement gear is installed. As much as possible it will remain totally stock. The mechanic recommended switching out the quadra jet carb for a much simplier to work on Edelbrock ... any comments?
When I get back in a couple of weeks to take it back to Canada I'll post new pics. I will attempt to post those I received from the seller during our negotiations. If I can figure out how to do that!

Posts: 12 | Location: Kelowna, BC Canada | Member Since: 03-12-2015Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
I personally am a Q-jet fan. A good rebuild on the stock Q-jet will give good power with good mpg. Accelerator pumps are what needs replaced the most. Part of what makes the Q-jet a more difficult to rebuild is what makes it a better carb IMHO.

A high mileage Q-jet could have shaft bushing worn, don't think this should be a problem on a coach that has low highway mileage.

If rebuilding a Q-jet make sure the plugs for the metering well are epoxied up. The will leak fuel when siting for a long time requiring cranking the engine to refill the fuel bowl.

P.S. Welcome and good luck.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Report This Post
Picture of CXRider
posted Hide Post
I'm currently running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to get all my ducks (legal papers) in a row! It's a fowl business.
Customs now requires an International Transit Number so a broker has to be involved. That's a $175 USD cost.
While the Barth is at the sellers shop I'm having the finicky quadra jet carb replaced with a new Edelbrock, putting on 6 new Michelins, the best two tires of the 8 old ones will go on the tag. Replacing exhaust pipes and installing new mufflers that will provide better flow but not increase noise level and a whole lot of little fixes. Luckily there is an excellent mechanic on sight who really appreciates the Barth and is excited about keeping it as faithful to the original 1990 Barth specs as possible. We're making a few concessions, high output headlights (the better for this aging dude to see at night). New CB/SSB rig, and updating the sound system with a unit that will fit in the existing dash opening without any modification.

Posts: 12 | Location: Kelowna, BC Canada | Member Since: 03-12-2015Report This Post
Picture of CXRider
posted Hide Post
I did a long post that ended up on the 'sold from Barthmobile.com, I'd really like to chat more with fellow owners but this site is really getting the better of me. I hope note reaches you.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Make sure you hang on to that Q-jet. You may want to get it rebuilt and use it in the future.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Report This Post
Picture of CXRider
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I will. I've already told the mechanic to keep all the original and old bits he takes off. I've been reading a lot about the Q-Jet on line and I'm getting a little nervous about making the change, I'll be talking to Kelly the mechanic tomorrow.

Picture of CXRider
posted Hide Post
Still on the fence about keeping or replacing Q-Jet. I'm no mechanic and I've heard finding one that is truly qualified to rebuild or even tune a Q-Jet are few and far between. Unlike the Edelbrock which is relatively simple compared to the Q-Jet and most qualified mechanics can confidently work it successfully.
Yes, I'm concerned about changing the 'original-ness' of the Barth, but at the same time the easier to maintain Edelbrock, for a non-gear head like me, is very attractive. The idea of the Edelbrock is attractive that is, not me - I'm definitely not.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I've had a Q-jet on several vehicles, and have rebuilt a couple. Rebuilding isn't rocket science, but it does require doing several steps in order and with care.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Report This Post
Picture of CXRider
posted Hide Post
Don't remember if I answered your question regarding the border paperwork.

What's required now is an International Transit Number and can only be issued using a customs broker apparently, cost is $175.00 USD.

Still trying to figure out how this site works, not very intuitive.

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Original CX owner, eh? I have an 82 GL500 which I have only owned a few years. Great bike.

As for the site, there are some useful how-to tutorials here

Good luck keep in touch. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5189 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Report This Post
Picture of CXRider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mogan David:
Another Canadian comes aboard cheers Welcome
(1) A bunch of us are about your age and did NOT grow up using computers.
(2) Well, of course the headers are leaking D'oh
Its a 454 after all Sorry
(3) Did you have to file some sort of "AES" form on line before you could cross the border?

Hope this gets posted in the right place, ITN (Internal Transit Number) $175 USD needed thru a Customs Broker. Still working on the paperwork.

Picture of CXRider
posted Hide Post
I'm looking forward to getting on the road later this summer and meeting other Barth owners.
Right now I'm just getting it roadworthy and cleaning up the interior.
Does anyone know if a 1990 Barth headliner can be cleaned? Looks like some sort of fuzzy fabric. The previous owner was a smoker, I'm not. No real noticeable smoke smell (10 years in storage) I just wanted to start out with everything cleaned up as best I could.

Picture of CXRider
posted Hide Post
Hi Steve,
I'm slowly learning how to use the site, I've posted a lot on this site but it seems never in the same place.
I may be repeating myself, so please forgive any redundancy.
Yes, my bike is a 1979 Honda CX500 Custom (red). I bought it new! I've almost got 15,000 miles on it. Yah, I've become a fair weather rider.
My 1990 31 ft P30 Barth is currently getting some maintenance and updates done by an on site mechanic at the storage facility where I bought the Barth. I will post pictures when I figure out how to use the photo link using my iMac.
I'm really looking forward to getting the Barth home. Home is Kelowna BC, the Napa Valley of Canada.
How do I get to your 'thread'. I know it sounds lame, but this computer stuff seems to get more complicated as I get older and I used to consider I had some computer savvy.