Forums    Barth Coaches Sold    Beautiful '92 30' Breakaway Diesel $35,000 for quick sale!

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Beautiful '92 30' Breakaway Diesel $35,000 for quick sale!
 Login now/Join our community

posted

[IMG]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v70/davebowers/Blue%20Breakaway/f778719a.jpg

I looked long and hard before I purchased my 1992 30’ Breakaway because I intended to keep it for a long time, but my plans have changed. I’m building a race car and have decided that it will be more practical to purchase a car trailer with living quarters rather than tow a trailer with my Barth because when I’m at the track I wouldn’t have a vehicle to run errands with so my beautiful unit is now for sale. I’m the 3rd owner the previous owner was Tom St.Clair who was an active member of the Barthmobile forum. He did many of the improvements to the unit before I purchased including the addition of Helwig sway bars, a new front 15,000btu A/C with the heat pump option (which works great, by the way) Bilstein shocks and an in-dash cd changer. He also spent considerable sums at one of the premier Cummins shops in the country (Pittsburgh Power) upgrading the engine to its current 250hp/625 ft./lbs. torque level and had the Pacbrake exhaust retarder installed.
Right after I got the coach I had the 7KW Kohler generator serviced and adjusted to factory tolerances by the St. Louis Kohler service center and had the carpet professionally cleaned. I also had the tint strips added to the top of the windshields (which are chip free).
In the last 2 months I’ve had a second 13,500 btu A/C installed in the bedroom (luckily this unit was pre-wired and braced for the second air from the factory, I have the original complete electrical schematics and blueprints), had the dash A/C completely serviced and changed over to r134a refrigerant and installed 6 new Michelin tires.
I took an 1100-mile trip in June and the unit performed flawlessly, getting right at 12.5 mpg. Even though I was not in a hurry to get home, I drove the whole way without stopping (550 miles) which is a testament to the comfort and ease of driving this unit.
Here’s a list of the features, I have pictures of the inside of the unit now, and I’m going to take pictures of the exterior tomorrow if it doesn’t rain. Please e-mail me and I'll send the pictures.

CUMMINS 6B5.9 with modifications bringing the power to the 250hp/625 ft./lbs. range.
Allison 542 4 speed transmisiion
Approximately 59,000 miles
Fuel Consumption - Avg. = 12.5 mpg
Fuel Capacity - 60 gal
200 amp Alternator
30 gal. propane tank
40 gal. fresh water tank
6 gal. propane water heater w/elec. starter
STEERSAFE steering stabilizers
Helwig sway bars front and rear
Aluminum body
SPARTAN EC2000 chassis
HWH hydraulic leveling system
Twin air horns
Kohler 7 kw propane generator
12v isolator
4-12v batteries for house power
2-12v engine batteries w/isolator
6 outside 120v receptacles
2 outside porch lights
Lighted "Barth" grab handle
New front 15,000 btu A/C with heat pump option (not the puny heat strip, this unit actually reverse cools to produce heat)
New rear 13,500 btu A/C (matches cosmetically the front unit)
HYDROFRAME furnace
NORCOLD 3-way refrigerator
WEDGEWOOD 2-burner rangetop
SHARP Carousel II Convection-Microwave
MOEN kitchen & bath faucets
Stainless dual sink
VENTLINE Lighted Range hood
Pantry
LP gas detector
Smoke detector
WINEGARD crank up TV antenna
Electric side mirrors--heated
Sony in-dash CD changer tuner with remote
CB radio
RCA 13" color TV with remote. Bedroom wired for TV
REESE 2" 8000# trailer hitch
ZIP DEE awnings on all windows
Miniblinds on all windows but behind co-pilot which has a brand new night/day shade
KWIKEE Electric step with lights
VDO electronic speedometer & tachometer
SPA digital pyrometer and boost gauge
50 amp 25' power cable
Rear Queen bed
Sofa/sleeper
2 closets with lights
Glass enclosed shower
Linen cabinet in bath
Wonderful walnut woodwork
Retractable dining table

I'm sure there are other features I'm forgetting.
The first person who looks at this coach will buy it!
Contact info:
Mike Major
Home: 618-344-0692
Office: 618-346-6778
Mobile: 618-550-6454
e-mail: jorma@midwest.net

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited August 10, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited August 11, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited August 12, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited August 12, 2004).]

Posts: 23 | Location: Collinsvile, IL, USA | Member Since: 08-06-2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
A few corrections:
My coach has 52,212 miles not 59,000
The in-dash CD changer is Alpine, not Sony
The generator has 225 hours
Mike Major

Posts: 23 | Location: Collinsvile, IL, USA | Member Since: 08-06-2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
One more correction, I looked at the title today and it's a 1991 not a 1992.
sorry for the confusion.
Mike Major

posted Hide Post
Hi Mike--WOW what a beautiful coach! I'm interested. My wife and I are full-timers and are currently in a 34' Georgie Boy basement model. My wife is concerned about the difference in storage space. Can you give me some idea of the size of the basement/saddle bags in your coach?

Posts: 20 | Location: Marlton, NJ, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the compliment, my Barth is a fantastic coach. Your wife has a valid concern, the Breakaway models do have a shortage of exterior storage. Everything in a coach is a compromise and the Breakaway has chosen to be more fuel efficient and trades interior storage for exterior. There are only 3 outside storage areas, one is very long (about 5 feet) but only about 15" tall. It's on the right rear, you should be able to see the compartment door in the pictures. The other 2 on the drivers side and are the same height but shorter, one being about 18" and the other around 30" (I'm estimating, if you need exact figures I can measure them). All of the storage areas are about 24" deep.
Inside there are 2 large closets, a multi-shelf food pantry and a deep linen closet in the bathroom.
I bought my Barth mainly to travel in, for short stays (I like to go to auto races) and the fantastic ride, unbelievable low noise level and outstanding mileage (in the 11 ~ 12 mpg range) more than outweighed the relatively less storage room. This does not even take into account the build quality. I've had motorhome similar to yours and the difference in structural integrity is staggering. You can drive off a steep drive at a weird angle and put the coach in a huge torsional twist and you won't hear the slightest moan, groan or squeak. It simply has to be experienced to believe it.
The bottom line is this might not be the best coach for full timing, unless you want to cover a lot of miles very efficiently and can travel light.
I hate to be critical of something I'm trying to sell, but I've got to be honest.
If you have any other questions, just e-mail me and I'll answer as quickly as possible.
Sincerely,
Mike Major

posted Hide Post
Mike--Thanks so much for the prompt reply and the input on your great coach. I will share this with my wife and discuss the possibilities. Will not rule out your coach and will let you know if there is further interest.

Posts: 20 | Location: Marlton, NJ, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Report This Post